Strollers on Disney buses

JePom

Earning My Ears
I don't know if I am asking this in the right place, but here goes. How difficult is it to take a stroller on a Disney bus? I am looking into renting a stroller, but DH is not sure about messing with it on the bus. I think it will be worth any hassle b/c the rental strollers look much more comfy than the Disney strollers. What can anyone tell me?

On an empty bus, dealing with a stroller is okay. On a very full bus, it's a pain in the.... An umbrella stroller might be easier to deal with, but we had our Graco that has a basket underneath & a full canopy on top and the seat reclines. Not quite full-size, but close. The bus was full to capacity & then-some (it seemed). We only rode the bus from AK to Yachtsman Steakhouse & back and that was our last time on a bus with the stroller.

I know some people depend on the buses with strollers, but it wasn't for us.

Disney's rule is that any stroller that goes on a bus MUST be folded. Your kid will have to get out and the stroller will have to be folded before you get on the bus, so keep that in mind when you choose a rental stroller; choose one that is quick and easy to fold, and lightweight, since you will have to lift it up the bus stairs. If you're going to WDW in summer, a stroller with some sort of sun shade would also be a good idea - the summer sun in central Florida is brutal, especially on kids.

The monorails and many (not all) of the boats allow you to roll a stroller aboard without folding it or taking the kid out.

It all depends on what type of stroller you'll be renting. We went two yrs ago. We rented a double jogger stroller. We're going in September and DH asked that this time around I not rent a double jogger. I can't really blame him, the double was heavy and cumbersome to get on and off the buses. When the buses were crowded we couldn't get the stroller on so we would have to wait until the next bus came so we could be the first ones on there and claim our spot on the bus.

This time around I'm only considering renting a Maclaren Twin since they fold more compactly and are not as heavy as the jogger. I may even consider two single strollers.

If your renting a single you'll have no problem getting it on and off the buses!
Either way I think renting from a local company is the way to go. The disney strollers don't look that comfy to me and the rental fee per day could add up quickly! Hope this helps!:)

We rented a double stroller from a nearby company and it was a total PITA! :scared: I felt bad for us and the people around us because we'd have to navigate this huge monstrosity in very crowded buses. Never again.

I had a Maclaran volo for my son. It was a dream to take - folded small and was easy to carry. Anything bigger and we would have hated it.

It really depends on how crowded the bus is. In the morning (right timing to make rope drop) and in the evening (after the nighttime show), standing on the bus holding a 3yo in one arm and balancing the folded stroller with the other, trying not to fall into people without having a hand free to hold a pole, was a challenge. Midday, when I could sit and lean the stroller against my legs, it was no big deal. And that was with a Volo.

(That said, I wouldn't have gone stroller-less.)

We have a double Maclaren umbrella stroller and its very easy to fold and bring on the bus. I just put it between my legs if I´m sitting. But I have seen people with bigger strollers that dont fold as easily and I would not do that.

I say go for a Maclaren or similar umbrellastroller if you´re taking the bus.

We brought a double combi side by side on the last trip. It was crowded at times as others mentioned, but fine overall. We found that the seats that face the windows towards the back of the buses (which can be used for wheelchairs if needed) have a lot of room for stroller storage. We bougt a sit and stand for our trip but decided against it after we saw how large it was when folded. Most people are very understanding of the problem. We try to be patient and wait until everyone else exits before we try to leave the bus so we are not knocking into everyone. We'll also wait for the next bus (if possibe) if the current bus is too full so that we can be the first on and try to store the stroller under the seat.

Federal law (which controls all passenger vehicles of 16 passengers or more) requires that strollers must be folded. The only exception to this is "special needs" strollers, which are used in place of wheelchairs for disabled children. However, a special needs stroller is designed with structurally-safe tie-down points on the frame, so the stroller, as a wheelchair, may be tied down and made immobile without damaging it.

We brought a double Jeep side-by-side on and off many crowded buses. It folded nice and compact and was light. I think the slight hassle of dealing with the buses, outweighs either not having one, or paying $30+/day to rent a double from Disney.

HTH,
Amanda

I have a double jogging stroller that I have used forever. It is a total pain on the bus (and the trams). It is very heavy and difficult to carry. There never seems to be a good place to sit on the bus with that stroller. Once, we had a late nite an MK and both kids fell asleep in the stroller while waiting for the bus. The bus comes and my mother and I had to try to figure out how to move two sleeping kids, fold a stroller and load it on the bus. Much thanks to the very nice man behind us who carried the stroller.

I love my stroller for the convenience of storage and cup holders, but it is just a pain on the bus. We have a car, so I usually just drive.

I have told my daughter this is her last trip with the stroller. She will be 5 for our trip in June. I'm not sure she is ready to walk all day and I know, I'm not ready to carry her.

Federal law (which controls all passenger vehicles of 16 passengers or more) requires that strollers must be folded. The only exception to this is "special needs" strollers, which are used in place of wheelchairs for disabled children. However, a special needs stroller is designed with structurally-safe tie-down points on the frame, so the stroller, as a wheelchair, may be tied down and made immobile without damaging it.
Just for clarification, not all special needs strollers are designed to be tied down. If it was designed for that purpose, it is fine to do so.
If it's not, tying it down can damage the frame (just by the being tied down by the wheelchair straps) and it would be dangerous in an accident.
Two common special needs strollers (Maclaren Major and the Baby Jogger disability model) are not designed for transport and the frame can be bent by trying to tie them down.

as mentioned by a pp, on an empty bus, strollers aren't a big deal. On a crowded bus, forget it, it is downright miserable.

when we use WDW transportation,we rent a stroller at the parks (however, that was before the price hike!). when having a rental car, we bring our own.

when using WDW transportation, we keep a stroller at the resort. this is to use from the room down to the bus stop, we check it in at guest services in the morning and pick it up when returning at night. this allows us to stroll the little ones from the bus stop to the room at night when they are usually asleep.

last year we rented a minivan (got a smokin' deal, $295 for 14 days) and brought a double stroller that we got off of craigslist for cheap, then split the cost with a fellow DIS'r. We also split the cost of a fridge with the same DIS'r. Staying at value resorts means no fridge unless you rent one. Renting one would have been more than buying one for our 14 day trip. Renting a stroller for 14 days, well forget that too. We had a double jogging stroller and a fridge for 14 days, total cost out of pocket was $80. We also saved on drinks and food by having a rental car and shopping offsite. So for our 14 day trip, the savings on the stroller, fridge and food more than made up for the car rental. We had free DDP but like to have cereal for breakfast in our room, saving meal points for lunches and dinners. we also brought our own bottled spring water so we could use our snack points for treats and not drinks.

We brought a double combi side by side on the last trip. It was crowded at times as others mentioned, but fine overall. We found that the seats that face the windows towards the back of the buses (which can be used for wheelchairs if needed) have a lot of room for stroller storage.
If you use those seats, be aware that if someone with a wheelchair or ECV comes and needs that spot, you will need to move.
So, I would suggest only sitting there with your stroller if you know there will no chance of that (i.e. if you are getting on at the last stop at a resort with more than one stop)

they're a pain, especially if you have children small enough that need carried on the bus, but they can be worth it if you need a stroller at your resort. I was considering renting at the parks this trip, but since they raised prices AND shrunk the stroller size, we'll be dealing with taking our own again. If you have a single, it won't be too bad. Doubles are a bit trickier.. We have a Peg Pliko with the stand on the back for our older child - works quite well.

We have always used a Maclaren single. It folds very compact and will slide under some of the seats. It also has a carrying strap so that you can sling it over your shoulder.

Words of advice. Get the child out and fold it before the bus comes.... and practice folding it before going out. On our first trip, we weren't 100% familiar with it and a bus driver got a little "cranky" with us. :rotfl: My Dh has little patience and almost broke the stroller.

We won't use the buses or the trams when we have a stroller. We have used a double jogging stroller (great for the parks - not so good for the bus), graco travel system stroller and a smaller Britax stroller. Our boys have done fine with the Disney strollers when we rented them - they are a bit pricey now though. Good luck!

There is some stroller etiquette that I think everyone needs to follow in order for it to be tolerable. One trip back to our resort, one family had a stroller folded up leaning against the seat in front of them, they never offered to move it or hold onto it, the bus was pretty full too. Try not to hoard too much stuff in your stroller, finish drinks and food in the parks so you don't have to deal with it while getting on the bus. Only bring the essentials with you that will fit in a diaper bag so you again, don't have to carry other things. When you see your bus coming, take your child out and fold it up so you won't hold up the people behind you and you aren't rushed. When you take your seat, hold your stroller in between your legs or find a place where it isn't taking up seats or standing room ( that sounds hard and can be impossible at times) I always bring my own double maclaren and it is never a problem. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter