• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller vs Backpack Carrier vs Carrier w/ Bag

Which is best?

• Total voters

Velkoor

DIS Dad #817
My wife and I have been to WDW plenty and are huge Disney fans. This year is a year of firsts for us. We are taking our DS to WDW for his first trip. He'll be 11 months old when we go. We're going to MNSSHP for the frist time and we got the MM for the frist time. Super excited for the trip and taking him! We'll be there early October for 5 days/6 nights and staying at CSR using the buses to get to parks and using the car for one day to get to Harry Potter world.

My question and search for advise is: Stroller vs Backpack Carrier vs Carrier w/ Bag? Normally when we travel we take a small bag with a poncho, sunscreen, phone charger, etc. Taking a fill sized stroller scares me. Having to deal with it on the buses, in the restaurants, etc. (Can we even take it into restaurants?) I feel like there is never enough room. But I know if may be easier for DS to sleep in and having all the storage for his many supplies that we'll have to take. We currently have something similar to this that can fold down.
chicco_cortina_stroller300.jpg

The other option was just wearing him and taking a larger bag. I would probably go with something like the below (which we already own) or a ring-sling and have one of us wear him and the other carry a diaper bag.
53367443580460p

The third option is a backpack frame carrier. We don't own one yet, so if we go with this option does anyone suggest specific brands or models. Something like the below to carry him and all the stuff we need in it. That way I can set him down if he's asleep during the breaks and stuff. I have no problem carrying everything all day long, I own a 55L frame backpack now that I've hiked with it full for several miles.
307893_14104_M.jpg

TL;DR: Is it the convenience of a stroller out way the cumbersomeness of having to lug it around on buses/boats/monorail and leave it alone for rides and shows? Or would it be easier to just carrier DS the whole time? Which is better for the baby vs better for the parent?

Thoughts, comments, questions?

Thank you in advance!

That backpack frame carrier doesn't look all that appealing to me for Disney -- it's going to be hot and feel even heavier than it might normally with all the walking you do in the World. I wouldn't want that to be our only option for carrying the baby AND all of our stuff, that's for sure!

We did a combo with our 14-month-old on our last trip and will do it again on our next trip when she's just turned two. We invested (I use that term lightly as it was only $50) in a lightweight travel stroller. It was really great to have when we needed it -- at the airports, walking to and from our resort room, leaving the parks, anytime it's going to be a longer walk -- and it was light and easy to fold when we didn't. It was also nice to have a place to store things that wasn't on our backs.

We brought a backpack as well, because on the buses you do have to fold the stroller and it's much easier to do that when you can easily take everything out of it. Plus babies need a lot of stuff! So we had the backpack plus another lightweight, easy-to-grab bag.

Then I also had a lightweight baby carrier (ring sling but I'm trading that out for a Boba Air on this upcoming trip) that I used to keep our daughter contained on the buses (she was always wanting to move around, so it was much easier to have her strapped to me), ride queues, and there were times when she was just sick of being in the stroller and wanted to be close to me, so I would wear her then.

It was really invaluable having all three!

I would bring a light weight stroller or rent and a good carrier. We brought our Uppababy a few times and while it was nice having our own stroller it was a bit bulky to travel with. We rent now.

We did use our Ergo carrier @ WDW a whole bunch when our girls were about the age your son will be. It very convenient for the lines. But our kids are terrible nappers and after 6-7 months, though they were content they rarely slept in the Ergo. Which is why we need a stroller too. Not sure about the Chicco carrier pictured, we had an Ergo and a Becco. They both position the baby in a more seated position, which is better for the hips, rather than the baby just hanging there. Do some research and make sure you get a carrier that is not a so called "crotch dangler".

I have no experience with the big frame carriers so can't give any advice on that.

Have a great trip.

ETA I forgot to mention we always use a backpack as a diaper bag. Both of our carriers allowed us to still use a backpack if necessary, though we would normally take turns or throw it in stroller if baby wasnt riding.

We have a big stroller so one of us takes the kids and bag and the other deals with the stroller on the bus or boat. You don't have to fold on the monorail. Its really nice to be able to let them have a nap. You can cover the stroller with a piece of cloth to block out light. We've never had a problem with the restaurants, a cast member will tell you what to do with it in a table service. Quick service we just park next to the table.

We took a 10 month old and were glad we brought the stroller

I would not suggest a backpack carrier at Disney for an 11 month old unless you wear the kid all the time in the first place. That is going to be heavy and hot! Plus - you can't leave the kid in the back on rides - so now you have to take the thing off. And then one of you is going to hold it and the other the kid when on the ride. Just too awkward.

I also would not suggest the stroller you own for theme park touring. My DSIL had one like that - and they just don't fold that easily for getting on and off buses - it was great for mom at the mall - but for the airport and the type of in and out needs when at a park - it just wasn't the right design. Plus - she didn't want to beat up the normal stroller at the parks. We took a small folding umbrella one to survive at the airport - but used one of the off-site rentals for everything else.

I'd suggest you look at the companies that rent strollers in the area.

I would absolutely bring a stroller, but to be honest the one pictured would not be ideal for Disney. I would consider renting a Citi Mini instead. You can bring a carrier as well and may use it some of the time but personally I found it much to hot to wear the kiddos at Disney for very long at all.

The things to look for in a stroller are easy one step fold, a large canopy for shade, reclines flat for napping, easy to push, and decent storage. Having these things make it so much easier and more comfortable for your LO.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

We invested (I use that term lightly as it was only $50) in a lightweight travel stroller
That's about how much we spend on the bulky one we have now. Might be worth running by a thrift store looking for a lightweight one.

We did use our Ergo carrier @ WDW a whole bunch when our girls were about the age your son will be. It very convenient for the lines. But our kids are terrible nappers and after 6-7 months, though they were content they rarely slept in the Ergo. Which is why we need a stroller too. Not sure about the Chicco carrier pictured, we had an Ergo and a Becco. They both position the baby in a more seated position, which is better for the hips, rather than the baby just hanging there. Do some research and make sure you get a carrier that is not a so called "crotch dangler".
I agree. That was the one given to us and I don't like using it because he legs do dangle. My wife uses the ring-sling and moby wrap, but I can never figure them out. I would prefer to wear him on the back as it's hard on my back to wear him in the front. Can you wear a Ergo or Becco on your back?

I also would not suggest the stroller you own for theme park touring. My DSIL had one like that - and they just don't fold that easily for getting on and off buses - it was great for mom at the mall - but for the airport and the type of in and out needs when at a park - it just wasn't the right design. Plus - she didn't want to beat up the normal stroller at the parks. We took a small folding umbrella one to survive at the airport - but used one of the off-site rentals for everything else.
I think we might rent one if I can't find anything at a thrift store.

One thought is that the backpack or front pack will be really hot on you! Just a regular backpack on me leaves my back all sweaty never mind a hot body! (I never used one of those baby packs because I have a bad back and just couldn't have the weight - I had a huge heavy baby! hehe)

My other thought is that your son could be walking by that age. My son walked at 10 months and then he always wanted to walk. So he might not want to be in the front pack or he might be too heavy. Stroller might be easier (on yourself).

To me strollers are great for midday naps and I love them UNTIL the night shows let out. Then having a stroller seems like madness! If you don't stay out for night shows then stroller would be my vote, but if you plan to stay out I would go with the carrier and maybe a backpack for your husband to carry gear. Or if you go back in the afternoon to hotel, you could make a switch.

I agree. That was the one given to us and I don't like using it because he legs do dangle. My wife uses the ring-sling and moby wrap, but I can never figure them out. I would prefer to wear him on the back as it's hard on my back to wear him in the front. Can you wear a Ergo or Becco on your back?

Yes, you can. :)

I vote stroller plus soft sided carrier (not backpack carrier). That's what we did on trips when our son was little. It worked perfectly. You can wear the baby in lines or places where stroller isn't convenient, and then just stuff it in the basket when not using it. Plus, having the stroller is a big plus for naps and having somewhere to put a diaper bag (rather than carry it).

I vote for the stroller. We've brought our citi mini, rented a citi mini but I still find the fold on those awkward. I ultimately bought the Summer One Stroller, it's an umbrella stroller that folds like a breeze, reclines and has a huge sun shade. The basket is a little small but that's typical for that type of stroller.

maybe a backpack for your husband to carry gear
Ha ha. I am the husband. ;)

Yes, you can. :)
Great thanks!

I vote stroller plus soft sided carrier
I vote for the stroller
The strollers have it!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be shopping around finding a cheap small stroller or just rent one. Carry a diaper bag back/side. And have a baby carrier on hand just in case.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll be shopping around finding a cheap small stroller or just rent one. Carry a diaper bag back/side. And have a baby carrier on hand just in case.

One more word of advice, if you'd like it! :) Get everything how you think you want it, everything you think you'll need for a park day in your backpack and under the stroller, the carrier of choice, etc., and go out for an outing to the zoo or some other kind of day trip. That will give you a better idea of if everything is going to work like you want it to, fit where you want it to, be easy to access like you need it to, and so on. I was glad we did this because I learned that the Ergo that we already had was pretty bulky if we wanted to store it under the stroller, so I got something more compact (and on the bright side, more breathable and lightweight) for carrying her. We also learned that our go-to reusable water bottle doesn't fit in our stroller's cup holder, so we were able to get something smaller before our trip.

I would say stroller and carrier. Ergos and Tulas are great for back carry. You can wear the carrier in line, you have to park the stroller. One poster was correct, stroller are a nightmare when you are trying to get out at the end of the night, you can wiz past everyone with a carrier.

Another vote for good umbrella type stroller and soft carrier. We have a Summer infant lite stroller that I am loving the fold and basket. Also my kids slept great in a carrier at that age but I would want a stroller for stuff and breaks.

I just wanted to recommend a Maclaren stroller as a smaller, lightweight option. We had an Uppa baby stroller - which is a great stroller if you live in the city and need to navigate icy, snowy sidewalks. Not at all great to travel with though. The Maclaren is wonderful to travel with - given that you have a big lead time - you can shop second hand for it bc they can be pretty pricey.

I know a lot of people here are big fans of the citi mini. We rented one once and I felt it didn't handle nearly as well as the Maclaren.

Get everything how you think you want it, everything you think you'll need for a park day in your backpack and under the stroller, the carrier of choice, etc., and go out for an outing to the zoo or some other kind of day trip. That will give you a better idea of if everything is going to work like you want it to, fit where you want it to, be easy to access like you need it to, and so on.
Great idea, thanks!

One poster was correct, stroller are a nightmare when you are trying to get out at the end of the night, you can wiz past everyone with a carrier.
There is another couple (no kids) going with us. So if we can get a stroller that can wheel while collapsed I might have the other guy carry it while we carry DS and baggage. That way we don't have to fight with the crowds as much, say for example: after Fantasmic. Which we go to every time.

I just wanted to recommend a Maclaren stroller as a smaller, lightweight option.
Just googled this. It's looks very nice. Thanks for the suggestion.

We did all 3 when we went with our then 8 month old (But we also had a 3yo at the time). We'd wear him in the beco a lot, but then he'd spend time in his stroller, too - it came in particularly handy when he needed a long nap and we'd do rider swap or when it was really hot (we went in September). With the stroller then we were able to just keep the diaper bag on hand and I'd hang it off the stroller with a quick release for rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter