• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller Thefts at WDW

I just made my stroller sign. But now I'm wondering what kind of lock is recommended for a double jogging stroller. This is the 1st time we are taking 2 kids and have a jogging stroller that has a weight limit of 150 lbs. We are using it for our 21 month old and our nearly 6 yr old (way under the weight limit). We've taken our Mac Triumph plenty of times without incident but I'm thinking our jogging stroller might be a target. Do I get a bike lock and if so what kind is suggested?

Thanks!

We will be taking a $400 jogger. I am concerned about theft. I may have to get one of those locks for the wheels and a sign too!

Make sure you measure the length of lock you need. To go wheel to wheel on our stroller I needed a longer length.
I was thinking of locking one wheel to the frame. That way a CM could still move it easily, but if someone were to try and steal it it would be cumbersome and probably not worth the effort

We took our BOB jogger last year. We didn't mark it, we didn't lock it. It was just fine. With a new baby we will be taking our Graco tandem tank, again, I am not worried about theft. I think it is more of an issue if you have a stroller that blends in more. There are a million Maclarens, I think it would be harder to tell which is yours. I think the rentals probably get stolen more because people don't want to pay the ridiculous rental fee. Of course, you are not out any money if someone takes your rental.

and waist straps take them off. I have 2 maclaren volos and they both have the straps completely removed. My boys don't need to be buckled in anymore so this was just easier. (we were constantly holding buckles to the side so they didn't sit on them)

I did however save the straps in a safe place (at home) so I can rethread them and resell the strollers on craigslist. Without the straps they are hard to resell and not all that valuable.

Great idea! Thanks!

We just bought a brand new double and will be locking the wheels with a regular bike lock. We bought one at Kmart tonight for like $8 and it has a key so we don't need to remember any combinations. We already carry a diaper bag with us so having a key is no big deal. Way cheaper than the locks they market as special for strollers. And it'll keep me from being paranoid when we're on rides, ect.

I read somewhere - may have been another thread or on OSRs website that a good way to prevent stroller theft is to remove one wheel. Apparently, they pop on and off pretty quickly and easily.
We carry a backpack with us so if I went this route, I'd just keep a plastic bag in the backpack so it's not rubbing around onto all of our things. Not sure about the weight but I can't imagine it would be too heavy.
CMs could still move the stroller but who'd want to take it with a wheel missing? It would also make the storller easy to spot!

I read somewhere - may have been another thread or on OSRs website that a good way to prevent stroller theft is to remove one wheel. Apparently, they pop on and off pretty quickly and easily.
We carry a backpack with us so if I went this route, I'd just keep a plastic bag in the backpack so it's not rubbing around onto all of our things. Not sure about the weight but I can't imagine it would be too heavy.
CMs could still move the stroller but who'd want to take it with a wheel missing? It would also make the storller easy to spot!

The Baby Jogger wheels do pop off easily and they aren't heavy at all. I just can't imagine taking a wheel off and toting it around every time I parked the stroller, but that's just me! If I'm renting, I'd rather pay the $25! But it definitely would be an option...

Just got a Maclaran Major special needs stroller and heading to Disney SOON!

Anyone have any ideas how I can lock this?
Wanted to get a lock and thread it through the wheels.. but the wheels are solid, no where to stick it in there. Anyone have any suggestions? Wheels don't seem to come off either.

Not only was this an expensive stroller, but I had a tough time finding this style to accommodate a larger child, and my son is autistic and if stolen, we are totally 100% screwed! He needs it for his safety, can't imagine how we'd make it through the airport on the way home without it, or the rest of the trip.

We are doing 16 table service meals - um, that is a LOT of time that stroller will be unattended for a LONG period of time each time. So I am very worried and the clock is ticking, gotta figure something out real quick.

Hmmm... that is a tough one. I say make one of the name signs, other than that I don't know what you can do if you can't thread anything through the wheels

Just got a Maclaran Major special needs stroller and heading to Disney SOON!

Anyone have any ideas how I can lock this?
Wanted to get a lock and thread it through the wheels.. but the wheels are solid, no where to stick it in there. Anyone have any suggestions? Wheels don't seem to come off either.

Not only was this an expensive stroller, but I had a tough time finding this style to accommodate a larger child, and my son is autistic and if stolen, we are totally 100% screwed! He needs it for his safety, can't imagine how we'd make it through the airport on the way home without it, or the rest of the trip.

We are doing 16 table service meals - um, that is a LOT of time that stroller will be unattended for a LONG period of time each time. So I am very worried and the clock is ticking, gotta figure something out real quick.

I'm not sure the fold on it but you may be able to fold it and put it in the corner of most resturants. We have done this munerous times with Macs when it's raining or we've had a sleeping child wake up mid-meal. No one has ever minded before. DS#1 has some mobilty issues and 4 the stroller is more crucial than park tickets for vacation for us. That's why we lock ours he doesn't fit in just anything so we need what we brought to be waiting for us. He got a speical parking permit for a race he did this summer that's on uber bright lime green paper. I'm laminating it and zip tying it on the handle. It would take a real terd to miss it and walk away with a tag that says special needs children's parking.

I took the shade and the carry strap from our Maclaren and had them embroidered with our last name. The shade is embroidered on the front edge so it's very visible. I figured it was worth the money spent on the embroidery if it kept our stroller from being taken.

Has anyone had any luck finding those retractable locks in stores? I have tried a few places and no one seems to have it. I don't have time to order online. Any ideas?

We rented our stroller and I was concerned about it being mistaken for another person's so I made this tag. I got quite a few comments on how nice it was. I printed it on a full size piece of paper and laminated it and then used the zip ties to secure it to the bottom of the stroller (we had a double).

strollertag.jpg

You can see in this picture where I fastened it on the stroller.

DSC04940.jpg

What was great was even my two boys (2 and 3 years old) easily recognize their stroller all week :rotfl:

We ended up making the laminated sign and putting it on with zip ties too. It worked out great, I even had people asking me where I had my sign made.

I saw the retractable stroller locks at Buy Buy Baby.

I have a Maclaren Volo and not sure how the lock would work with solid wheels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter