Stroller Suggestions for bigger kids

Dylan&LandonsMama

Earning My Ears
My son just turned 6 and there is no way he will be able to walk around the park all day. I also have a 3 yr old which we will be bringing a single stroller. Does anyone have any stroller suggestions or other options for bigger kids? I am open to double strollers or anything else!

Our 5 year old DD used her baby brothers "big" umbrella stroller this past trip. It was really just for the evening time and hopping btwn the two parks. Actually the first day she didn't even use it until the walk back to the hotel. The brand we have is a cybex, dont remember the model, but I think the weight limit is 45lbs. Lucky for me DD is a lightweight so it works for us.
I've see some pretty big kids in the strollers that Disneyland rents. Maybe look into the weight limit on those?

what is your child's weight? i've found several strollers that fold compactly, are inexpensive, and are rated 50 lbs and up.

I was worried about that too. I had the Peg Pergo Pliko p3 it has a place in the back where my older DS6 could stand and folds up small (great for the airplane, rental car, DL train, & DL monorail). The only time he used it was when I was either by myself in a crowded airport or at DL on the way back to the hotel. Now that my DS3 has grown out of the Pliko P3 (the seat base is not long enough, he slides out), I got a McClaren type stroller for my DS3 and my DS7 will get a piggy back ride from daddy.
Another option is to wear my DS3 in the Ergo Carrier and have my DS7 in the stroller.

Good Luck!

We actually like the DLR rentals for our giant DD 6...she's taller than most 8 year olds and can fit somewhat comfortably in their strollers. She understands that she can use it during the day, but she's got to find the energy to walk back to the hotel at night. :)

I've used a sit'n'stand with our smaller one and 5 year old and it worked great. They have a weight limit, but as long as your 6 year old isn't too tall or big, it might work. I got a cheap baby trend at walmart and it worked great. The little one ended up never using it and being in the baby bjorn, so I wish I had just brought an umbrella or used a DLR stroller.

I was wondering the same thing yesterday. I tried looking online but nothing. My 6 year old is tall, but very skinny and does well with the DLand Strollers, I just hate paying $15 everyday we go (we go frequently). I'm looking at buying a used BOB stroller. It seems jogging strollers are probably the way to go.

Last time we went, we used a Joovy Caboose Sit n Stand Stroller. It worked pretty good! We had our 8 month old baby in the front stroller seat strapped in and then during the day our two older girls (3 and 5 then) would take turns using the sit n stand "seat" in the back. At night when they were really tired and we were heading back to the hotel, we piled them all on. Baby in front, and both big girls standing on the back! Our one complaint about this stroller was that it was kind of hard to steer AND since my husband is really tall with long legs, when he would walk quickly, he would accidentally kick the wheel locks on the back and make the stroller stop! lol

This time we have a graco duoglider two seater. We will have the baby strapped (now 1.5) into the back seat with the tray for snacks and the front seat we will leave open with no tray for the big girls (now 4 and 6) to trade off in when they are tired. They won't even need to buckle in, just jump up and hang on! It will be great! It's a really durable, easy to steer stroller and it folds flat too. The other big plus is the HUGE storage bin in the bottom of the stroller to hold snacks, sweaters, diaper bag and everyone else's junk! ;)

Our first trip DD12 was 6, she walked all day with no issues. I did offer to rent her a stroller if she wanted one but she didn't, she kept going. I think at that age I'd just rent one from DL, they are pretty large in comparison to your standard strollers.

When we only had the one child and she was a tall, thin 5-year-old, we bought a graco IPO stroller, which was rated for 50 pounds and basically was just a sturdy umbrella stroller - convenient and it lasted through 2 trips, with my DD even sleeping happily in it when she was beat tired. Once we had the baby, we packed our huge fisher-price sit n stand in the back of our car and brought that down with us. The baby was so comfy in the front and it had a nice bench in the back for DD7 to sit if she got tired. That stroller was awesome, but a bear in size and weight -took up most of our trunk space and we were surprised to note that our older girl maybe sat on the back 2 or 3 times - she had a lot more endurance and we had changed our strategy from "commando-style"-DL-from-opening-until -closing to staying-sane-with-an-afternoon-break at the hotel - so I think that maybe helped her not get as exhausted as previous trips. Now, because I am expecting again, we just got a Joovy Caboose Ultralight. It's light, folds compactly, would be great on a plane or in a car trunk. We intend on bringing it with us for DD2 to sit in the front, and to still give DD8 the option of resting her legs on the back if she needed to. Once the new one comes, she will be bumped from her spot, but she's probably at the tail end of needing a ride now anyway. Well, I hope some of my experience helps someone! Can't wait to get back to the park!

My 6 and 8 year olds fit okay in both our Maclaren Volo and BOB Revolution. The BOB in general pushes like a dream but it is expensive if you wont be using it a lot. The Volo is great with my 2 year old. It has been a couple of years since the older two have used the stroller much at all but I used it with my then 4 year old at Disney a couple of years ago and it was fine then. He has only gained about 3 pounds so I doubt it has changed much.

My sister has a Britax blink that she has used with her 6 and 8 year olds. She has been happy with it.

We have also used a Joovy Ultra light and it was handy for two kids! The basket was a little tough to get things in and out of but overall it was a great option for a kid who may or may not want to ride. I personally liked the Joovy better than the Baby Trend sit and stand.

I am recommending the Joovy Caboose or the Baby Trend Sit and Stand. GREAT option for your 3 and 6 yo. Look on craigslist. I bought one for $20 used....we only use it for our Disneyland trips. It is perfect, DD4 can hop on and off and DD1 can sit in the stroller part. I purchased the Joovy Caboose but if I had to do it again, I would have gone with the Baby Trend Sit and Stand. Better options like bigger storage compartment and mom and dad drink holders.

I think Sit n' Stands are a great option. If you can't swing that, then I recommend a Maclaren. They can hold up to 55 pounds.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. He is close to 60lbs and 49" tall so I think some of you are right in saying I probably will need a jogging stroller.

I would recommend a single stroller. I took a double (Combi Savvy Twin) that I bought off of craigslist just for DL for our August trip. OMG, I thought my legs were going to fall off by the 3rd day pushing around my 45-lb 6-yr-old and my 35-lb 4-yr-old! Believe me, you don't want to be pushing around 90 lbs worth of 2 kids day after day. We took a single for our November trip and went strollerless :-)scared1:) for our January trip (I did end up carrying my youngest around some, so I think a single stroller will be on our packing list for our next visit).

If you have 2 people to push and are sure that he'll need the stroller, definitely do 2 instead of 1 and save yourself some painful days.

You know, even if he doesn't end up needing to ride that much, it is still a HUGE plus having a stroller. So nice to get to have a place to put your things while you are at the parks and a portable cupholder is so, so great! :D A lightweight maybe jogger o sit n stand seems like the way to go for you! I would avoid an umbrella stroller since 1) most don't hold that much weight, and 2) if you hang anything on the handles, the second your son gets up, the whole stroller will tip over! lol

We have a britax blink too, great price (I bought an old color on sale for $70), and great stroller, and it goes up to 55 lbs!

My girls are 7 and 4 and we take a Baby Jogger City Series Double to Disneyland. WORTH.EVERY.PENNY.

It has one of the highest height limits (my kids are tall) and I love being able to tie hoodies on the bar, hang my double stroller bag with all of our stuff across the bar and put water bottles and snacks in the bottom.

I told DH I will cry when everyone is too old for a stroller and we resort to backpacks. LOL ;)

Our stroller is a Maclaren Volo - good up to 55 lbs. We never, never, never use a stroller (if we've used our Volo a dozen time in 3+ years that's a lot because I always wore her), but this folds up easy and also has a net basket on the bottom to store some stuff in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter