• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller Strategies, Generally

patdoc98

Earning My Ears
Is there a comprehensive post/thread about using strollers throughout WDW?

I have learned so much from reading DISboards and various links provided by posters, but I still have many questions.

This will be our first-ever Disney trip with kids, and I laugh when I realize how much we NEVER noticed about kid-specific stuff before becoming parents. With strollers, all I remember is there were lots of strollers everywhere!

We have a 3.5-year-old and an 8-month-old, and we are driving to WDW and staying at Pop.

For starters:

1. We are currently planning on bringing a double stroller. The only double that we own is a City Baby Jogger Double. It folds easily, fits easily in our trunk, it is not heavy to push, and both kids love it (the seats fully recline and are comfortable), but it's 41 pounds. Yep, 41 pounds - this is not the mini or the micro version. (Dad can carry it just fine, Mom can lift it into the trunk but that's about it.) Are we crazy to bring it? Can we actually bring this on buses?

2. Should we avoid the buses and drive, especially to HS, Epcot, and AK? The consensus seems to be that it's better to take the bus to MK, for a few reasons, but would it be better to drive to TTC and then take the monorail/ferry, just to avoid bringing the huge stroller on the bus? (We are early risers anyway, so rope drop seems to make sense for us - that's part of the reason we were planning to use the buses at least for MK.)

3. Where can we NOT bring a stroller in the parks? I would expect that strollers can't be taken into ride queues or theaters, but what about QS places? Let's say we go to Pecos Bill's at 10:45 am. What if one parent orders and grabs the food, and the other parent takes the stroller over to an outside table - does that work? We are going Nov 11-20, so I imagine we will mostly be comfortable eating outside.

4. The reverse question - where CAN we bring a stroller, that might be surprising? We are assuming we can't bring strollers into any of the pavilions at Epcot, but are there any exceptions?

I've found pieces of answers to these questions in various threads, but I wasn't able to find something comprehensive, so if you can point me in the right direction, it is much appreciated!

You need a double stroller for the age of your kids and I would just go ahead and bring your own over renting a double. We have done 2 strollers and the last few years we bring our sit-n-stand and always take the buses. Yes you can bring it on the bus as long as it is folded up. Once I get on the bus I always head to the back door and stand with our stroller until the bus closes its doors, if there is still seats available I may or may not sit down. Not a big deal for me. MK; I would rather take the stroller on the bus then deal with it on the smaller Tram that takes you to and from the parking lot. There are just to many places to list that allow or do not allow strollers, there are always CM's that will let you know if strollers are allowed in. A lot of the QS ones you are allowed but we try to get an out of the way table so the stroller is not in the walk way...

You need a double stroller for the age of your kids and I would just go ahead and bring your own over renting a double. We have done 2 strollers and the last few years we bring our sit-n-stand and always take the buses. Yes you can bring it on the bus as long as it is folded up. Once I get on the bus I always head to the back door and stand with our stroller until the bus closes its doors, if there is still seats available I may or may not sit down. Not a big deal for me. MK; I would rather take the stroller on the bus then deal with it on the smaller Tram that takes you to and from the parking lot. There are just to many places to list that allow or do not allow strollers, there are always CM's that will let you know if strollers are allowed in. A lot of the QS ones you are allowed but we try to get an out of the way table so the stroller is not in the walk way...

Thanks! That all makes sense.

Any outside CS will be OK, most indoor locations will ask you to park it. I don't believe Peco Bills has outdoor seating and I've never seen a stroller inside. You cannot take inside The Land but can go in the back door of the Seas (bypassing the ride). The other future world pavilions are single rides and they are parked outside. Strollers are not allowed in any lines unless it is tagged as a wheelchair for a child with special needs or inside theaters. Most TS restaurants will not allow them although exceptions are made at times by a CM when a small baby is sleeping. It seems they are parked in corrals more than they are used.

There are limits to the size of a stroller at WDW:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items/

Note:

Q.
What types of personal items are not permitted inside the theme parks?
A.
You may not bring the following types of items into the theme parks:

You may not bring the following types of items into the theme parks:
Wagons
Skateboards
Scooters
Inline skates
Shoes with built-in wheels
Strollers larger than 36" x 52" (92 x 132 cm)
Suitcases, coolers or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" (61 cm) long x 15" (38 cm) wide x 18" (46 cm) high. Coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations.
Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV, wheelchair or stroller
Wheeled mobility devices with less than 3 wheels and devices that cannot maintain stability and balance when stopped, unpowered or unoccupied. Training wheels or similar modifications are not permitted.

I don't believe Peco Bills has outdoor seating and I've never seen a stroller inside.

We did take a stroller into Peco Bills. The seating is tight, though, so while you'd likely be ok at 10:45, I certainly wouldn't want to take a large stroller in at a peak time.

Also, it is often worth asking a CM if you can take a stroller in or closer. For instance, many people park strollers prior to enter the queue at Beauty and Beast Live on stage but you can actually take it with you up to the top of the ramp where there is additional stroller parking.

Think about whether you and hubby want to push ~60 lbs of kid/stroller around for days on end. I just had one 50 kid and I was exhausted pushing him around day after day.

It might be worth renting something smaller if that doesn't sound like fun. :)

Is it the baby jogger city mini double?

If so, bring it. It's like the most popular stroller at disney. You can take it on the bus, through most of the pavilions in world showcase. I agree w/ the comments on restaurants above.

Pecos Bills does have an area outside to sit and allows strollers. Pinocchio Village Haus also allows strollers, as does Cosmic Rays. Correct me if I am wrong:) if I remember right the jogging strollers are 10 times easier to push then the regular type strollers or our sit-n-stand. If you want to ride the train at either MK or AK, you will have to decide if you want to take the stroller, it is more difficult then the bus. At MK, we usually will leave the stroller at one of the train stations and ride the train all the way around the park and back to where we got on.

We always drive to the parks, especially when we had the kids in strollers. To us it was so much easier than lugging a stroller on to the bus and what not. You might try it both ways the first couple days and see which works best for you. Also, keep in mind that a stroller that size seems like it would be hard to get down the aisle of the bus without hitting someone on accident.

at MK it depends if you can park close enough to not need to use tram as it is harder to get stroller on that than a bus. most times you do not need to fold up stroller on monorail but can happen if very crowded. you can roll straight on the ferry over to MK

We've taken strollers into lots of QS places, including Pecos Bills and Cosmic Rays. I feel like we had to park at Columbia Harbor House, but that could have just been that we chose to because we like sitting upstairs. (Great place to nurse!) As a PP mentioned, most TS won't allow it, but some will, particuarly if the baby is sleeping or you're trying to get them to sleep. (We took him in a stroller in Brown Derby and they even found us a table out of the way that fit his stroller well.)

I've never taken a double, but if your husband is fine with it, I would definitely do that over renting a smaller one. I think your kids already know it and feel comfortable with it, and they would be more likely to nap and rest in it that way. (Also, I personally really prefer my own stroller because *I* know mine!)

I can't speak to the driving thing, but we've considered it and there are negatives and positives to both. I hate getting kids in and out of car seats, so in that regard, I like the buses. But if it's just the two of you plus the stroller and gear on the buses, I would maybe drive, because whoever doesn't have the baby will have to corral both the stroller and the 3.5 yr old. (It may also depend on your 3.5 yo. If yours is very cooperative, it may not be a big deal and you could use the buses fine.) One other benefit to taking the car would be a place to keep some extra stuff you may not want to bother with taking in the parks. (Food in cooler, extra clothes, etc.)

One place that I was surprised (and annoyed) that we couldn't take the stroller into was One Man's Dream. I understand why - in case of fire, they could prove a problem I guess? - but since there's rarely many people in there and there are WIDE spaces to push a stroller, it felt silly taking him out and carrying him, especially since we like spending time in there.

Oh, and you'll have to park them outside of baby care centers, too. Make sense, of course, but I was a little surprised, especially at AK, where you have a tons of space in the private rooms (though maybe not for a double).

Our first trip we had kids ages 2 and 4, and we brought our rather large (and heavy) Peg Perego Tandem Twin stroller. It also fully reclined (so both kids took naps every day in it - yeah!). I was SO GLAD to have our own. We stayed at the Boardwalk Villas, so it was convenient to just push it onto the boat for DHS (walk to Epcot), and yes we did take it on the bus to DAK and MK. It was worth the effort to fold it and lug it onto the bus. I definitely think you'll be glad to have it! Just be patient and you'll do fine.

There are a few places you'll have to park the stroller, but you'll do fine.

You can easily bring the stroller on the monorail too. So if you're at the MK and want to head to Epcot it'll be fine.

I liked having our own, as days when they fell asleep, we'd find a nice shady spot and people watch, sometimes having a beer or something.

I would say have a plan for when you're waiting in bus lines - one person corrals the kids while the other handles the stroller. Make it known before so you're not scrambling when the bus arrives. ;)

It may be a bit bulky on the bus but for the amount of time you have to carry it as opposed to how much time you'll use it, it will be worth it.

3. Where can we NOT bring a stroller in the parks? I would expect that strollers can't be taken into ride queues or theaters, but what about QS places? Let's say we go to Pecos Bill's at 10:45 am. What if one parent orders and grabs the food, and the other parent takes the stroller over to an outside table - does that work? We are going Nov 11-20, so I imagine we will mostly be comfortable eating outside.

Depending on the time of year and on how busy the parks are, Disney restricts people from getting tables at the fast food places until after they have their food. They don't do it all the time, but when they do, a CM will not allow you into the seating area until you have your food. Just something to be aware of.

Just wanted to say we'll be at Pop same time as you, and we're bringing my 3 yr old granddaughter! So maybe we'll see yall around the kiddie pool!!

Have a great trip!!!

We just got back from Disney with 20 month old twins. Somewhere on this board is my Twin Guide, which has an entire section on strollers!

We took our Bumbleride Indie Twin and used Disney transportation for 8 nights! Double strollers are bulky and a bit of a pain, but we couldn't have survived with it! We preferred to park ours outside of crowded areas (even when it was technically allowed). I always got the kids on and off of the bus while DH handled the stroller and backpack. He would always stand in the area at the back door of the bus...it was never an issue.

Good luck!

...Double strollers are bulky and a bit of a pain, but we couldn't have survived with it! We preferred to park ours outside of crowded areas (even when it was technically allowed). I always got the kids on and off of the bus while DH handled the stroller and backpack. He would always stand in the area at the back door of the bus...it was never an issue.

Good luck!

This is very good to know! I had some of the same questions as the OP.

Our double is the Baby Trend Navigator jogger and it is 43 lbs! :eek: So I was a bit worried that it wouldn't fit on the buses but it sounds like we will be okay with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter