• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller: Rent or Bring (Check on Plane)???

We gate checked a stroller once and will never, EVER do it again. It was a nearly $300 Maclaren and it was torn up beyond use. The frame completely bent, the canopy ripped straight down the middle, and the wheel dented so that it wouldn't roll... Delta so wonderfully comped us $50.... Yeah... NEVER again..... We are renting this year - $95 for 11 days, double City Mini (same as we have at home), parent console, cooler, and insurance.

Prefer to bring our own. I like having it to corral kids and things at the airport and save the money on renting.

We bring our stroller and do not check it. They do not count it as part of your luggage. You just have to get a tag for it, wheel it to the door of the plane and pick it up as you walk off the plane.

I think that's called "gate check" and it seems to be a great idea for parents with strollers etc.

OP i didnt see how old your child is. Our first trip to WDW our youngest was 22mo. We rented the strollers from at the park and carried her to and from the park when she didnt want to walk. We did have a carrier for her. It was a belt with a flap of sturdy fabric attached to another strap that whent over the head and attached to the belt. We still had to hold her, but it really relieved most of the weight in the arms a redistributed onto the hip. It really helped when standing in lines. We also didnt have to deal with getting a stroller on and off the bus or monorail. Also, no hassle with a stroller at the airport.

Its been 8 years since we went so I couldnt find the exact one, but here is one with the same idea.

http://www.dhgate.com/p-ff80808128e...by_mart|QL||&gclid=CMTXxP2i5bMCFeGDQgodORAAgg

I vote bring your own. I have flown with a stroller many times and have always been able to gate check it as you board the plane. Super easy! You mentioned car seats.... I would check those and not carry them onto the plane. They take up a lot of room. I used a car seat on a plane for one trip when my DD was 18 months. It was helpful then since I was by myself and at 18 months DD was super squirmy. The carseat helped set the tone of staying strapped in one place. Like I said though the carseat took up a lot of room and you cannot put the tray down with it . Past age 2 became my cut-off for not using a carseat on the plane.

OP i didnt see how old your child is. Our first trip to WDW our youngest was 22mo. We rented the strollers from at the park and carried her to and from the park when she didnt want to walk. We did have a carrier for her. It was a belt with a flap of sturdy fabric attached to another strap that whent over the head and attached to the belt. We still had to hold her, but it really relieved most of the weight in the arms a redistributed onto the hip. It really helped when standing in lines. We also didnt have to deal with getting a stroller on and off the bus or monorail. Also, no hassle with a stroller at the airport.

Its been 8 years since we went so I couldnt find the exact one, but here is one with the same idea.

http://www.dhgate.com/p-ff80808128e...by_mart|QL||&gclid=CMTXxP2i5bMCFeGDQgodORAAgg

Sweet. Thanks jodeeb. I will look into the belt.

My son will be 18 months at the time of our trip.

We took our single stroller with us but one day of the trip we decided to look into renting a double so the 6yo could get a break. They wanted 30 dollars a day for the double so I said heck no. I think the singles were 15 but still its a lot. Make sure if you take yours that it folds up compactly for bus rides. We drove this trip but we gate checked our stroller on a previous trip with no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter