Stroller question

your friend

Mouseketeer
I have a 4 year old dd who is 48 inches tall and 52 lbs. and an 11 month old dd who is 21 lbs. I am looking at renting a city mini double stroller but they say the weight limit is 50 pounds each side and 100 lbs. total. Does anyone have one of these strollers? Should I rent one of these or just tell the four year old to suck it up and walk lol!

The 4 year old will ride more than walk. May even sleep in the stroller. Honestly, I would bring your own from home. The one you know. The one you and the kids are comfortable with.

I don't think going 2 pounds over on one side is going to be that bad. The stroller isn't going to break and cause him to fall on the sidewalk or anything.

But I'm guessing since you don't mention having a double stroller of your own that he usually walks, right? Can he walk when you spend the day at the zoo or something else with lots of walking all day long? If so, what I would do (and what I have done in your situation), is just take a good single stroller plus a baby carrier or sling of some sort. I love my Ergo. You can have your 4 year old walk for most of the day, but when he gets too tired to go on (in the evenings and maybe right before naptime), you can wear the baby and let the older one ride.

You'll probably want to wear the baby at other times, too, since it's the easiest way to carry a baby in lines and on rides. In our family, the 4 year old would continue to walk when the baby was in the Ergo most of the time so that the stroller would be available to the baby as soon as he wanted it without any whining from a displaced 4 year old. However, when the 4 year old was truly tired, I'd wear the baby and let the older one ride.

At 48" you are going to have more issues with the height than weight.

Our last trip DD was about 46" and was too tall to be comfortable in a single City Mini but fortunately at just turned 5 she walked 95% of the time. She only used the stroller one evening in Epcot.

Next trip we have told her no stroller - she will do fine I am sure as we will just take things at her base and rest when needed. :goodvibes

I would look at the City Mini GT or the Baby Jogger city Series Double if either of those is an option. With 2 kids of such disparate weights I think the regular City Mini will be difficult to push. The GT has larger, rubber tires and the City Series double is a larger jogger that maneuvers very well with big kids.

We decided not to go with a double. I have a 5 year old (who's a peanut at only 41 inches and 40 lbs) and a 1 yr old DD. My sister in law is a WDW vet and she recommended getting a single stroller for each kid rather than a double. That way my older son can head with one parent to go ride while my daughter does something else with another. She said too often someone needed to head to the baby center or whatever and that would leave the other child with no where to sit or for the entire family to come along.

We are renting a single city mini GT (that goes to 65 lbs) and bringing our BOB revolution SE. I know my son would have fit in the regular city but I personally just like the GT and thought it was worth the extra $15.

Hope that helps!

We decided not to go with a double. I have a 5 year old (who's a peanut at only 41 inches and 40 lbs) and a 1 yr old DD. My sister in law is a WDW vet and she recommended getting a single stroller for each kid rather than a double. That way my older son can head with one parent to go ride while my daughter does something else with another. She said too often someone needed to head to the baby center or whatever and that would leave the other child with no where to sit or for the entire family to come along.

We are renting a single city mini GT (that goes to 65 lbs) and bringing our BOB revolution SE. I know my son would have fit in the regular city but I personally just like the GT and thought it was worth the extra $15.

Hope that helps!

I'd rent a double, with just one pushing. Its not like the 5 year old will be stranded without a stroller if you split up - she will just have to walk!

I'd rent a double, with just one pushing. Its not like the 5 year old will be stranded without a stroller if you split up - she will just have to walk!

Trust me my son will and can walk. We are doing a 4 day trip and our hotel is pretty far (15 min walk that we intend to do). This is really more about the end of the day and going back in the afternoon for rests. I almost thought about not having one for our 5 yr old because, well he's 5. However I believe this is a little different than a trip to the zoo and like I said he's smaller than most 4 year olds.

I realize that means 2 adults need to watch and push 2 strollers. We've discussed the pros and cons of a double and after talking with our SIL this is what we've decided to do. Cost and use at the airport is also a factor. I want to be able to use my single for the baby at the airport. My son can handle walking then. We will get the second single delivered to our hotel and will have it for the 4 days. I didn't want to pay $45 extra for a double and then leave my perfectly good single in the hotel.

JMHO

My 4 yr old and 2 yr old rode together in the city mini this past may. i had no issues and glad i did cause i know she would have never made it all day.

I'm in this camp as well. We have a 5 year old and a 20 month old, as well as an 8 year old who walks all the time. When we split up the baby stays with the stroller and the 5 year old just walks. The only time she really rode in the stroller was when we were walking to and from the parks at Disneyland, and when we were trying to get across the park in a big hurry. Plus the double has a much bigger basket.

Having a double was completely worth it when this happened right as we were about to get in the fast pass entrance to Radiator Springs Racers. Sorry the pic is gigantic:

If we hadn't had the double I'd have been stuck standing in one place while I waited for everyone else to ride so we could do rider switch. This way I was able to wander around Radiator Springs and do some shopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter