Stroller Question

Rygraymom

Earning My Ears
We will be traveling to Disney in December with my DD who will be 5 and son who will be 2.5.

Do you think we will need a stoller? Is it more of a pain than it would be worth? I'm just not sure it will be worth it...

Thanks for your help!:yay:

Rygraymom said:
We will be traveling to Disney in December with my DD who will be 5 and son who will be 2.5.

Do you think we will need a stoller? Is it more of a pain than it would be worth? I'm just not sure it will be worth it...

Yes, with a 2 1/2-year-old, you will definitely need a stroller. I think it would be more of a pain for you to *not* have it.

Welcome to the DIS!

Yes, you will definitely need at least a single stroller, if not a double. It's not uncommon to walk 6-8 miles per day on a Disney trip. If this is your first trip, it's hard to comprehend just how big the parks are and how much walking there is to do. If you don't own a double stroller or don't want to fly with one, consider renting from one of the several stroller-rental companies in Orlando. The resorts are large, there is a lot of walking everywhere. Plus, when it's crowded, you know where they are and don't have to worry about getting separated.

Don't forget that when you're walking those (at least) 6-8 miles, your little ones are probably taking at least twice as many steps to keep up with you. We are taking a stroller for our 7 yr old, By the end of the night he's exhausted & we still have a trek to the buses & then to our room.

I have a 5 and 2 year old. My 5 year old can't walk more than a mile without complaining, also she is slooooooow. My 2 year old is even slower and he is also the type that will run off without you. We are taking a double just so to make our trip more enjoyable, 5 year old won't be complaining and we won't be chasing after 2 year old! You know your kids and what they can or can't handle. Try walking a mile or so in a park with them and see how they do.

Rygraymom said:

I was just watching some show about Disney world (history channel or some such thing and it said all 4 parks in Disney together are twice the size manhattan if that helps put it in perspective for the amount of walking :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

lets just say my 5yo fell asleep in our stroller EVERY DAY on our last trip. He hadn't been in a stroller for years, and didn't even nap anymore normally - but Disney is exhausting!!

my twins were 2.5 on our trip -we had a double for them + ride on board for my 5yo.... but the 5yo wanted to sit in the stroller a lot so we taught the twins how to ride on the board, too :)

I'd get a double stroller - it's not a pain- we had no problem getting it on/off the busses even with a rider board on the back and 3 kids.

Thank you so much for your input! Sounds like we should get a double just to be safe!

Now I will show your responses to my husband so I can convince him.

He is just worried about stroller parking having to worry about it.

Thanks!

My twins will be 5 when we go in June and I would not even consider a trip without one. I found a great deal on Craigs List for an almost new Maclaren. Plus its a great place to store things and hang the backpack with snacks extra clothes. The walk to the bus at night seems sooooo long after a day in the park.

::yes::I would definitely bring a stroller. We just got back a couple of weeks ago with our daughter who turns 5 in a couple of months. We debated on bringing a stroller for her, and finally decided to use one-actually had to purchase one, she hadn't used one in a couple of years. It was a vacation SAVER. I won't go again without one as long as I can fit her in it.

You will definately need a stroller for the little one....and most likely at times for the older one. The pain would be NOT having a stroller:eek:
It will give you a place to store your stuff as well as get from point A to point B without having to drag or carry your kids;)

Our youngest is 5 and she had one on our last trip this past Oct (just turned 5). She will probably have the stroller for one more trip...then we will retire it.

There are times (like in Fantasyland, or Tomorrowland) where you can park the stroller and hit up a few rides in the vicinity and you wont have to move it around. We do this and when we are ready to leave the area we grab it again.
There is the possibility that your stroller will be moved by CM's as they are constantly re-organizing the strollers. It should still be in the same area, though.

If you need a double and dont have one, there are rental available besides WDW rentals. I have seen posts recently from applescooter that they are having $6/day for a double. Worth it! Here is a link:

www.applescooter.com

Just click on the stroller and it will take you to the stroller rental page

I would defiently recommend either renting a single or double stroller from an offsite rental company so you can also use it at downtown disney and the hotel or bringing your own from home

Thank you so much for your input! Sounds like we should get a double just to be safe!

Now I will show your responses to my husband so I can convince him.

He is just worried about stroller parking having to worry about it.

Thanks!

This is my battle too! My DH is adamant that we do not need a stroller, but I am pretty sure that we will. I'm going to have to have a sit down with him and just make him concede on this point.

Definitely bring (or rent) a double. You will need it. Ask your DH which will be more of a pain, parking the stroller or carrying two exhausted or sleeping children! Just tie something distinctive around the handle, and you'll always be able to spot which one is yours. You can park once in a central location and walk to numerous rides. We just came back from a trip with a double stroller and an ECV in our party, and it was fine-- not at all a pain. It's not like finding street parking in the city or something ;). There are plenty of places right by the rides to park.

We have almost the identical situation. I'm planning a trip in early oct as the lone adult with my then 5.5yo and turning 3yo. I'm debating a sit n stand like the joovy caboose vs a double (and what kind of double). Any thoughts on that?

We would bring a single for the toddler. I cannot imagine taking a kid that small through Disney without one.

We have almost the identical situation. I'm planning a trip in early oct as the lone adult with my then 5.5yo and turning 3yo. I'm debating a sit n stand like the joovy caboose vs a double (and what kind of double). Any thoughts on that?

We took a Joovy one year when our youngest was 18m and our oldest was just over 5. I hated that thing by the end of the trip. It was too hard to push and steer, and in a crowd it was hard to stop quickly. Another issue I had was that the front seat didn't recline enough for my toddler to nap well.

I know some of the Joovy strollers are "ultralight" and I didn't have one of those, so if you spring for the really good one, you might have a different experience than I did. I would opt for the double given the choice. Not having ever needed a double, I have no recommendations on them, but will say that I always liked our old Combi single stroller, and we most recently had a Maclaren Volo that was easy to fold.

I have the ultra lite joovy...and while I wouldn't call it light in weight it is the same or better than other double strollers. We used it with my 1.5 and 5 y.o. last year and will be bringing it again. I find it great. Yes it is not the easiest to push and steer but for the ages of my kids it works best and I am used to it. My older dd loves being able to hope on and off as she pleases. My younger daughter has no problem sleeping w/o a full recline so that is not an issue. Last year my older daughter fell asleep sitting in the back even.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter