stroller question

Bearybear

A firm believer in the unbelievable
My son was just diagnosed with pneumonia on Sunday. He's recovering nicely, but I guess it can take quite a while to get back to full endurance. We leave for Disney in a week and a half. He really doesn't want a stroller, as he's 8 years old, but if he starts getting run down, I know he'll be upset. What kind of stroller should we rent (if we need one). He's only 60 pounds, so not too heavy, but I haven't dealt with a stroller in years.

If not a stroller, should we consider a wheel chair? And do they rent kid-sized wheel chairs? I'm hoping this is all nothing, as he's generally very healthy, and almost all the symptoms (except the coughing and shortness of breath on even mild exertion) are gone with a few days of antibiotics. I'd just rather be prepared and not need anything than stuck wondering what to do.

My son was just diagnosed with pneumonia on Sunday. He's recovering nicely, but I guess it can take quite a while to get back to full endurance. We leave for Disney in a week and a half. He really doesn't want a stroller, as he's 8 years old, but if he starts getting run down, I know he'll be upset. What kind of stroller should we rent (if we need one). He's only 60 pounds, so not too heavy, but I haven't dealt with a stroller in years.

If not a stroller, should we consider a wheel chair? And do they rent kid-sized wheel chairs? I'm hoping this is all nothing, as he's generally very healthy, and almost all the symptoms (except the coughing and shortness of breath on even mild exertion) are gone with a few days of antibiotics. I'd just rather be prepared and not need anything than stuck wondering what to do.

I would see how he does and rent a single or double WDW stroller if he needs it. They are not great for young children, but for an 8 yr old who needs a place to sit (to get from point A to point B) the are great.

the highest weight limit on full size strollers is usually 55 lbs but this aprica http://www.amazon.com/Aprica-Presto...ie=UTF8&qid=1361324466&sr=8-1&keywords=aprica goes up to 70 lbs. If I was you I would just rent him the ones at Disney. They aren't great for younger kids but like pp it would suit the purpose for you and him. plus he wouldn't feel like a baby in a stroller and more of a ride instead. Hope he feels better. try to have a great trip still

Maybe I will get flames for this.....

I would see how he does... If he is having a problem rent a wheelchair for him. He might feel better about being pushed in that rather than a stroller... I am not saying to abuse the wheelchair privileges.. Just as a source of moving him faster and easier around the parks so that everyone enjoys their vacation.

I needed to do this with a friend of mine when she was suffering very badly from asthma while in the hot Florida weather... We parked near the stroller rentals.

Thanks everyone. He really does not want a stroller. When we mentioned it to him tonight that he might need a stroller, he was insistent he walk while we're there, but then walking up the stairs triggered a massive coughing attack that left him out of breath. I think we'll just rent the Disney stroller if we need one, as they seem pretty durable. We'll let him walk and see how it goes. Maybe in a week and a half he'll be all better.

I'm just glad the major symptoms are almost gone and we got this "out of the way" before we were on vacation. For a kid who almost never gets sick, he sure goes all out when he does get sick.

I would keep options oven for renting a double stroller at Disney (more space to stretch out) or a wheelchair if he's cramped in the double. The strollers at Disney don't really look like strollers, so he might not have an issue with those. But I would take his feelings into account and only get one if you feel like he really needs it.

If you are looking for a Just in Case option you might look into applescooter.com

Right now the price is really cheap. Might be a good idea to use one anyway to carry bags and things. Plus it will be there for him if he does need it.

Unfortunately, it seems the Apple Scooter strollers only go up to 50 pounds. I don't want to buy a stroller, as he won't need one other than this trip. I will talk to his doctor next week (a couple days before we leave) to see what she recommends.

Relax. It's a week and a half away. He will be bouncing off the walls in 4 or 5 days.

He should be fine by the time you go. My sign has had it several times. He will probably still have the cough but the shortness of breath should be better.

I hope he does feel better soon... But a scooter rental might not be a bad idea either. Your resort can always handle that for you if you decide you need it when you get there.

I would see how he does... If he is having a problem rent a wheelchair for him. He might feel better about being pushed in that rather than a stroller... I am not saying to abuse the wheelchair privileges.. Just as a source of moving him faster and easier around the parks so that everyone enjoys their vacation.

This is what i would do. If at the very least it will give him a place to sit down when waiting in line.

I would wait and see after you get there. Kids Boyce back quickly and you may not need anything. I agree a wheelchair would probably be the better choice here if needed!

I would want to have a plan in place...at least in my mind if I were you. My son, now 20, had pneumonia quite a few times when he was younger. Sometimes he bounced right back, sometimes he didn't. Sometimes he was exhausted for a couple of weeks. I think a pediatric wheelchair is a good option to keep in your back pocket, and probably wouldn't embarrass him the way a stroller would.

I would want to have a plan in place...at least in my mind if I were you. My son, now 20, had pneumonia quite a few times when he was younger. Sometimes he bounced right back, sometimes he didn't. Sometimes he was exhausted for a couple of weeks. I think a pediatric wheelchair is a good option to keep in your back pocket, and probably wouldn't embarrass him the way a stroller would.

That is how I see it. He is finished with the antibiotics, but still unable to do anything active without becoming winded. I wanted to get something in place (even if only in my mind) rather than be stressed while we're there. If necessary, I think we'll go with a wheelchair.

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter