Stroller Outrage- What my Sister Witnessed

My 2 cents on this...I'm on vacation and refuse to get angry about something like this. By renting a wheelchair instead of a stroller and then using the wheelchair to gain access to shorter lines, they aren't impacting my vacation, so if they want to be knuckleheads, who am I to care.

What a great attitude! :) You made me smile!

Instead, you should have agreed with her: "Yes, it's VERY unfair that we have to wait an extra 20 minutes because there is only one accessible vehicle. How nice of you to notice the inequity."

:thumbsup2 exactly..one can only hope that the guest saying something ill-mannered to and/or about the person in the wheelchair someday can experience the same gross selfcentered and self serving behavior - directed towards her.

labattblue said:
My 2 cents on this...I'm on vacation and refuse to get angry about something like this. By renting a wheelchair instead of a stroller and then using the wheelchair to gain access to shorter lines, they aren't impacting my vacation, so if they want to be knuckleheads, who am I to care.

What a great attitude! :) You made me smile!

nice not to have to worry about these things huh?

If more people cared and actually educated their children about the very real challenges people with disabilities face daily - they wouldnt have to deal with half of the miserable ignorance that they do! I urge parents to talk to their kids about differences and how all people are different, so maybe someday these arguements will be non-existent.

Newby here. Been lurking for a while.

We were at WDW 4/26 - 4/30 and I did see two kids in a wheelchair together at Epcot, but didn't think much of it. I work in a rehab facility and the kids love the chairs, so I wasn't shocked.

Our last trip to WDW was about 7 years ago and we had 8 people with us. It was hectic and crowded and I let the little things get to me. This time, I decided to take it at our own pace and hit the highlights. We had the best Disney trip of my life and enjoyed the people and their differences.

I say, go, have fun and worry about you and yours. You can't do anything about other folks' actions or values. I never grudge those in wheelchairs/scooters because I have worked in healthcare for 6 1/2 years and that is just a way of life for me. Disabilities are not always obvious and far outweigh any advantages of that the "chair" may give someone.

Any of us at any given time could have to use assistive devices. Life is precious and can change in the blink of an eye.:goodvibes

When I'm at the parks, I concentrate on having fun. Bozo the Clown could whiz by on Heelies, the Partridge Family could be piled up one on top of the other in a wheelchair, even hunky Johnny Depp could walk right next to me and I doubt that I'd notice.

To Sum Up:

1. Most queues at WDW are mainstreamed. You are in your wheelchair or ECV up until boarding. There is no time advantage to being in a wheelchair or ECV.

2. Some of the queues where there is a special line for people in wheelchairs or ECVs, or where they are pulled out of the line partway down, actually have longer wait times than taking the regular queue.

3. On buses and monorails a person in a wheelchair or ECV may be first on
but are last off and there is a limit of two wheelchairs or ECVs per bus.

4. Many disabilities are invisible. Only the person in the wheelchair or ECV (and members of their party) are aware of what the disabilities are! You cannot tell by looking!

Perhaps, no benefit when getting off the bus, but definitely a benefit after parades and such when lines are ridiculously long. I've often seen where a bus line is 4 to 5 deep at park closing and a person in a wheelchair or ECV can go straight to the front of the line and with a family large enough that half the bus fills up.

I'm never sure how people manage to invent some sort of benefit with how the buses load. I've also never seen these mythical parties of "ten" that everyone talks about.

As the previous poster said there isn't a benefit to boarding in a wheel-chair because every-body waits at one end. Able-bodied people wait while the wheel-chair party boards and the wheel-chair party waits while you unload. Everyone waits on one end of the trip or the other, so I'm not seeing where this benefit is :confused:

It makes sense for the wheel-chair users to board first because they need room to maneuver into the tie down spots. It doesn't make sense to leave the tie down spots empty because each bus can only accommodate two chairs max. Back-logs can get crazy enough as it is now, trying to board a bus in a wheel-chair. If an able-bodied family sees 6 people in front of them they know they can get on the next bus, if a wheel-chair user sees 6 people in front of them they know the best they can hope for is to get on the 4th bus,

I'm never sure how people manage to invent some sort of benefit with how the buses load. I've also never seen these mythical parties of "ten" that everyone talks about.

As the previous poster said there isn't a benefit to boarding in a wheel-chair because every-body waits at one end. Able-bodied people wait while the wheel-chair party boards and the wheel-chair party waits while you unload. Everyone waits on one end of the trip or the other, so I'm not seeing where this benefit is :confused:

EXACTLY - thanks for re-stating this...there is NO benefit. IN ADDITION I've also witnessed the poor person in the wheelchair sometimes getting to endure all kinds of rude and crude remarks from people complaining about delays etc. Like he/she is a LINE CUTTER or something....PLEASE people think before you speak.

EXACTLY - thanks for re-stating this...there is NO benefit. IN ADDITION I've also witnessed the poor person in the wheelchair sometimes getting to endure all kinds of rude and crude remarks from people complaining about delays etc. Like he/she is a LINE CUTTER or something....PLEASE people think before you speak.

I agree exactly, I mean people need to count their blessings and look at the big picture here. :confused:

It makes sense for the wheel-chair users to board first because they need room to maneuver into the tie down spots. It doesn't make sense to leave the tie down spots empty because each bus can only accommodate two chairs max. Back-logs can get crazy enough as it is now, trying to board a bus in a wheel-chair. If an able-bodied family sees 6 people in front of them they know they can get on the next bus, if a wheel-chair user sees 6 people in front of them they know the best they can hope for is to get on the 4th bus,

Right... also, for example, we have to wait for certain restroom stalls, certain tables in restaurants (depending on if you can transfer), certain ride cars, certain seats in shows, and even little things like having to go around to a curb cut take longer. trust me, everything evens out! for example, if we roll up to tiki room and see 4 wheelchairs already there, we have to come back later, since there are only 4 spots. it doesnt matter if we were there before AB guests, we don't get to go in, no matter what touring plan we have or fastpasses we may have later.

sometimes we have to wait for seemingly no reason. i had to do this at BTMRR, where i waited more than twice the standby line for people who could walk. this is because there can only be a certain number of "disabled' or "special needs" people on a ride at a time for safety reasons (they tend to need help evacuating, for example). so even while able bodied people load in front of me, i have to wait, no matter how long i have been sitting there... i was there before the able bodied person. should they have to wait until i am able to board? of course not. not everything is perfect, but things tend to even out in the end, so remember this

It is the Happiest Freakin Place on Earth, so have fun and POOH on what the rest of the world thinks!!

When I'm at the parks, I concentrate on having fun. Bozo the Clown could whiz by on Heelies, the Partridge Family could be piled up one on top of the other in a wheelchair, even hunky Johnny Depp could walk right next to me and I doubt that I'd notice.

Oh, I'm FAIRLY SURE I'd notice Johnny Depp...

Back to the other subject, though, just wanted you all to know that there are a lot of us who don't judge and are fine with waiting at the buses for those with wheelchairs.

you have the right idea! have fun and chill out! there are a lot of stories on here about wheelchairs and ECVs, but believe me, a mom with a stroller gets plenty of trouble too. maybe we should focus on where we are, who we're with, and what we're doing instead of strangers and then we won't have all these stories.

nice not to have to worry about these things huh?

If more people cared and actually educated their children about the very real challenges people with disabilities face daily - they wouldnt have to deal with half of the miserable ignorance that they do! I urge parents to talk to their kids about differences and how all people are different, so maybe someday these arguements will be non-existent.

I read your post several times and I'm not sure if you are implying that I am turning my head to people with disabilities, but that is not the case. All I was saying is that people who want to find a way to skirt the system, are not going to get in the way of my vacation.

Maybe one of the kids in the family really did need a wheelchair but the parents figured they would just get the double stroller so both kids could ride if needed. Maybe because the cost has risen so much these parents decided to just get the wheelchair and let the 2 kids share that because they really did need it anyway.

I know there are many people who try to cheat the system, but there are many who do not. Its a shame that honest people are the ones being judged, especially by people who do not know what the real situation is.

I've seen 'em once in a while, but certainly not often enough to stress about. Heck, I'm just glad that I'm able bodied enough to either stand on the bus or wait for the next one. If the people who complain really think about it, would they really trade their mobility just to board a bus first (and get off last)? I mean...puh-leese!

I have a good friend with RA who has to be in a wheelchair when she has flareups. She is younger than me and looks perfectly healthy, but I know she'd trade the pain with anyone who wanted the perceived 'benefits' she gets. I've been with her and pushed her through the parks, and it's a real eye-opener. Anyone who thinks it's so great should spend a day with a wheelchair party to get the true perspective.

I have a good friend with RA who has to be in a wheelchair when she has flareups. She is younger than me and looks perfectly healthy, but I know she'd trade the pain with anyone who wanted the perceived 'benefits' she gets. I've been with her and pushed her through the parks, and it's a real eye-opener. Anyone who thinks it's so great should spend a day with a wheelchair party to get the true perspective.

Amen!

During our trip last year....my DS ran over my foot and broke my toe...(Long story) :eek:

I had to use a wheelchair on our last day....and you would not believe the looks I got. :sad2: My injury was not visible...so I am sure they were thinking the worst...(until I got up and tried to walk) because we do have people who take advantage of mis-using wheelchairs....and I have seen many on my many trips.

And on a side note....I have SI joint dysfunction that makes it very painful to walk...and with all the walking we do at WDW....I can hardly move by the end of the day. My DH has been trying to get me to rent a wheelchair so I can enjoy our trips more...but after last year...I will crawl rather than receive looks like I did again!

was this on thursday 5/8? i saw a family with 2 young boys in a wheelchair at AK that day. i thought it was odd that they were both in the wheelchair.

I find it so odd reading many posts that run along thes elines. I can't believe the numbe rof people who spend all of the time and money to go to DW and instead of just enjoying thmeselves spend their time:

Watching what cups are filled at beverage stations
Determining the best way for other people to handle their children.
Examining users of ECVs, wheelchairs, and strollers to determine if they feel they really need them.
Apparently move furniture in their room crawling around on the floor to see if they can find hidden dirt and items.
Looking for smokers to harass.
Etc.

There is a simple way to handle most of these items - Mind Your Own Business and quit worrying about what others are doing and quit looking for reasons to complain, relax and enjoy DW..

I find it so odd reading many posts that run along thes elines. I can't believe the numbe rof people who spend all of the time and money to go to DW and instead of just enjoying thmeselves spend their time:

Watching what cups are filled at beverage stations
Determining the best way for other people to handle their children.
Examining users of ECVs, wheelchairs, and strollers to determine if they feel they really need them.
Apparently move furniture in their room crawling around on the floor to see if they can find hidden dirt and items.
Looking for smokers to harass.
Etc.

There is a simple way to handle most of these items - Mind Your Own Business and quit worrying about what others are doing and quit looking for reasons to complain, relax and enjoy DW..

:thumbsup2

Oh, that's infuriating! I don't know if I would have been able to stop myself from saying something to them. Or at the very least cutting them some less than friendly looks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter