• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stroller for larger kids

Yoshiandi

Just working for my next Disney fix..
I have a 10yr old with DS and a 6yr old with DS. I was looking at renting the Orlandotogo Mountain Buggy Duo as it will hold 110lbs. Anyone have experience with this one? Or can recommend a better one?

Thanks!!

:flower3:

Why would our 10 year old need to ride? We've only used strollers for my kids less than 7. Even then she only rode late at night/end of day.

Both of my kids have Down Syndrome. DS has low muscle tone in his legs and gets tired easily. DD has low tone in her abs and trunk. They can't handle all the walking :)

I'm sorry I can't help with the stoller question but I can relate to needing one. Our DD is 25 and has Down Syndrome and we always rent a wheelchair off site to use for our whole vacation at WDW. She just doesn't have the stamina to walk great distances. It is very helpful to have a wheelchair even at the resort and just getting to the parks. I hope you find a good stroller for your kids needs. Have a great vacation!

The Axiom has stages 1-4 depending on weight. We loved ours. They are a lot more comfortable then some out there.

I'm not familiar with the Orlandotogo Mountain Buggy Duo, which possibly is a double stroller. If you will have 2 adults to push separate strollers for your boys, we like using the Maclaren Major Elite which is essentially an oversized umbrella stroller and supposedly holds someone up to 145 lbs. We decided to purchase one, but I believe it can be rented from a couple of the wheelchair/medical rental companies listed in Sue M's FAQ sticky. Other stroller rental companies also offer other styles of special needs strollers, but depending on your transportation at WDW, they can be bulky and heavy to fold for buses, etc.

You can go to Guest Services and get a tag to use the stroller in line as a wheelchair as well. Good luck and enjoy your trip! Your boys should have a wonderful time!

Also, keep in mind that the total weight allowed for the strollers is evenly divided between the seats.
So, a double stroller with a weight limit of 110 pounds will hold 2 children, with each one weighing no more than 55 pounds.

You may want to think about renting 2 strollers. That way, if you need to split up because one child is having a bad day, is tired or can't/won't do what the other child is doing, you can split up and still have a stroller for each of them to ride in.

As was mentioned, look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board or use the link in my signature. Post 2 is about renting mobility equipment. Scroll down toward the bottom for the special needs stroller information.
If the 10 yr old is at least 5 feet tall, he may be comfortable in a wheelchair. One of the companies rents smaller adult ones. If he's smaller than that, I would still opt for a special needs stroller. With low tone, he needs support and would be too slumped over in an adult size wheelchair.

Also, see post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is about Guest Assistance Cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter