Stroller for 1 year old questions...

Husky359

Earning My Ears
I have questions about going to Disney right after my son turns 1.... first of all, when we were there 5 years ago with my niece, we had rented a stroller, and someone stole it while we were in a shop. That makes me nervous because we will be bringing one we own..... do you think it likely to get stolen while on rides or in a shop?

Also, what is a good stroller to buy for a 1 year old that folds up small but can recline for naps........ something not too expensive? Right now he is only 5 months and is still in his big bulky travel system that we will definitely not be bringing with us.

Thanks!!!

We have been to WDW many many times since ds was born and always bring our own stroller and it's never been stolen. Not that it never happens, or can't happen....but I do think it's fairly rare. We always put an ID tag on our stroller, and sometimes wrap a bright colored bandana around the handle so it's easier to spot in a sea of strollers.

Why do you not want to bring the travel system stroller? Because I actually recommend bringing a stroller that will be very comfortable for a 1 yr old. Plus you'll have all that baby "stuff" you need when you're out and about with a LO and the stroller you have probably has a nice basket to put that in. When my ds was that age, I loved having the large basket area, the cupholders for us, and that the stroller had a nice big canopy and was comfortable enough for my ds to nap in (and he would - we almost never went back to the hotel during the day because he napped perfectly fine in the stroller - so that was when we'd take turns hitting the "big" rides). :)

On our last trip, we brought a big stroller (we call it ds' "chariot" lol). We have several reasons for choosing this over the smaller, more compact one we have. Yes it's more of a pain on busses and it takes up more room in the car (but we fly, so we just have to get it to and from the airport anyway). But it's more comfy for ds to sit in, and more importantly, it's easier for dh and I to push (we are both on the taller side so a lot of those little umbrella strollers are just too short for us). DH usually takes charge of it on the busses and I've even done it a few times and found it wasn't too big of a deal, especially since most of the busses are newer and have nice wide doorways and are basically one or two steps up from the curb to the inside of the bus so it's not that bad.

As far as more compact strollers go, there are probably several out there that would be OK for a 1yr old and fold up smaller than the one you have. How much do you want to spend? The Maclaren strollers (thinking Triumph or Quest strollers) get rave reviews around here but can a little on the spendy side. You may be able to find one in last years model that is less expensive online though.

hth

I don't know if they even make a stroller like I had for my dd4 anymore, but it was only like $40 a walmart and it reclined. It wasn't so huge but it wasn't really small either. And no it wasn't one of those travel combo strollers. I'll see if I can find a pic. BTW I still have it and if shipping wasn't so expensive I would just send it to you, haha.

I have been to WDW many times and Disneyland so many times I cannot even count and you must bring the most comfy stoller you can with you. Don't bring an expensive one, stroller diva mommies will jack the expensive ones, but bring one that will fit your needs.
On our last trip to WDW I even got a sit and stand for my 2 and 6 year old. My best advice is get a stroller that will fit your needs, but you won't be too worried about when you leave it at the attraction door.

I confess..I rented. And it was AFTER the price increase...and I didnt even do the multi-day..blame it on the heat..

For a 1 year old I'd do the full stroller, even though they are a pain on the buses. You'll just have so much stuff with you that you'll need the basket. We took our travel system stroller when DD was 9 months, but switched to a mid-grade (about $50) umbrella-ish stroller that reclined and had a sun visor when she was 18 months.

It really depends on your needs and how much you bring with you for your child. Some posters have said to bring a large system to make baby comfortable but babies can be perfectly comfortable in an umbrella stroller.

We have taken our dd at 7, 17 and 22 months and are about to travel again when she will be 28 months. We have only ever used a lightweight reclining
umbrella stroller (mine is a cossatto which I bought in the UK for about £25).

Once I used it at 7 months I never went back to the big stroller even at home. I travel fairly light as a mum, a couple of spare nappies (very pleased to say not even that anymore!!) and a museli bar for emergencies. This works fine for me but it doesn't for everyone.

We've always brought a large stroller with us. When DD#1 was a baby, we brought the travel system and never had a problem. It's a bit bulky on the bus, but not big enough of an issue not to bring it. After was had DD#2 we bought a double stroller.....the Phil and Ted's Sport Buggy. That was even bigger to put onto the bus LOL. But again, not bad enough to deter us from bringing it again.

We'll be going again in October and our kids will be 4 years old and 19 months old. We have the Sport Buggy still......but we also have two umbrella strollers that recline, have a basket, and are a breeze to push (one Maclaren Quest and one Chicco Capri). We're on the fence about which ones to bring this next time. Both have their pros and cons.

I would wait until your son is one and you are closer to your trip. There's always new strolelrs coming on the market and what's great now my be outdone by something better 4 months from now.

Also by waiting you will better know his needs and comfort levels. Plus every kid grows at different rates and you will be able to choose one that he will be more comfortable in.

I have a Maclaran Sport Quest which so far I like - It will have the Disney test in Spetember. I had a Combi which I loved for it's ease of folding and it was very light. But is was a low stroller and not comfortable to push after awhile and there was this bar across the inside of the basket which made it hard for storage. But now they have a version with a higher handle for pushing.

When my son was an infant there were many times that I went ahead and purchased something early that I knew he would be needing only to find when he got to the right age what I bought wasn't exacelty what he needed. So I say wait.

Also. many people like to get special gifts and such for a child's first birthday and a new lightweight stroller can be a perfect suggestion for some family members to go in on.

I'd find ont under $50 that reclines. I'd buy it before hand to allow your baby to get used to it ao that he'll be willing to sleep in it. The really good thing with a 1 year old is that they don't need to be fully reclined to sleep( think half way back). I'd also bring a sling or front carrier. The slings are nice to hold a toddler on the hips without feeling like your going to drop them. I made my DD's slings basically it's 2 meters of fabric more if you are bigger. I find cotton the best walmart usually has material for under $2. keep it folded width wide( they usually are folded over when you buy it) Tie 2 knots at both ends at the langth you feel most comfotable. I never could trust rings and the stitches on some I saw. This is great if you don't want to spend much on a sling. My DD has 6-8 differant ones.

When we took DS on his first trip to WDW (he was 5 months), we brought a Combi because it folded up so small and easily. He was fairly comfortable in it, but by the time our second trip to WDW came (he was 17 months), he was too big for it. That time, we opted for the Chicco Cortina (which I absolutely LOVED!). It was a little bigger but much more comfortable for him and super easy for DH and I. It had a nice basket underneath and (important for us!) parent cupholders.

Now as we anticipate his third trip (in December when he'll be just shy of his third birthday), we're bringing his Chicco Trevi stroller. This is almost exactly like the Cortina, but a bit smaller. It folds smaller but he still has plenty of room to relax in the stroller (not that he does much relaxing these days!). We're also bringing our twin girls (who will be a couple of weeks past their first birthday) - we'll be bringing our Chicco Trevi Twin for them. (Can you tell we're a "Chicco family"? :lmao:

Good Luck on your decision! I say just "test drive" some strollers and find one that is most comfortable for ALL of you -- your baby, your DH, and you!

I was there in May with DS. He was 13 months at the time. I had a Maclaren Triumph. It does not have full recline, but does recline to something close to a 45 degree angle. It was perfect. I had the convenince of an umbrella stroller on the bus, etc. He was comfortable in the stroller, and generally took at least 1 nap a day in it. I did not think he would nap in the stroller, because he does not at home - but he did very well at Disney.

I personally would never want a full size stroller at Disney. We did have our name written on the stroller in permanent marker, and took other steps so that someone would not take it by accident. I've been with DS 3 times over the past 6 months, and not had any stroller trouble. My first trip with DS was age 6 mo, and we used the umbrella stroller sold by Disney (which also reclines about the same amount as the Maclaren). That worked very well for him too - but DSister used that on this past trip for DNiece (age 23 months).

Overall - I think you can do well with a umbrella stroller with some level of recline. After that, it's just about the conveniece and features, and what matters to you. I travel a lot on my own with DS, so a Maclaren is a must for me. If the lightweight/easy fold/easy carry is not as key, you can probably find something less expensive.

I don't need a big basket either - I travel light with DS, and skipped the whole diaper bag for DIsney. We did just fine with a Bagglinii, and the basket of the stroller was frequently empty (or held stuff for DSister and DBIL).

Just a shot in the dark because this post is so old - do you still have that stroller? Do you know how much shipping is? Maybe I should pay you shipping if it is cheaper than the stroller.

I bought a Peg Perego Aria for our trip when DS was 17 mos. It was perfect. It's very lightweight, fully reclines, has a decent canopy, has a storage basket, and snack tray. Also, you can fold it with one hand and it has a little handle to make carrying the folded stroller really easy. We plan to use it again for our April trip (DS will be 2.5 yrs old at that point).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter