Stroller/Diaper Bag Strategy...let me know what you think

Fantabulously Cherry

...just like my hair! :p
This September will be our 1st time at WDW with a child. We have decided to buy a lighter weight stroller so we don't have to rent the hard plastic ones. There is a storage bin under the seat. My DH came up with an idea reading about other people's trips about zip-tying the diaper bag to the stroller so we don't have to carry it into attractions. Now, the only things that will be kept in the bag is diapers and wipes. All of our valuables will be with us in my backpack. I think it sounds like a decent strategy. I can't imagine there are people walking around with knives to cut zip ties and steal diaper bags (at least I hope not...I would think security would frown upon that!!)

What do you guys think about this?

This will be our first trip with a stroller as well, we plan on using a small retractable lock. The zip ties would work but I think it could get annoying if you need to take the bag into the bathroom or anywhere else and have to keep cutting and replacing the zip ties.

I agree with just leaving it on the bottom. I have been three times and nobody ever messed with my diaper bag. I did just bring a small one that fit the diapers and stuff that I needed. Plus it's nice to be able to grab it and take it into the bathrooms or infant care centers.

Will you have a car? If you are taking the bus, you will have to take the bag off when you get to the bus, but you won't be able to carry a knife into the park to cut the tie. I second the idea to just leave things in an inexpensive bag in the stroller.

When we went in November, our youngest was 4 and we rented a stroller. I had a big, lightweight (inexpensive) bag that I put everything in that we needed to carry into the park (water bottles, wipes, changes of clothes in ziplock bags, snacks, etc.). Depending on what we were doing, I either carried it with us or left it on the stroller. Anything necessary or valuable went in my cross body bag that I kept on my person. If the bag had disappeared, it would have been a bummer, but not a disaster. (Now, it would have been a disaster if someone had taken the ziplock bags with the princess dresses the time that I accidentally left THEM in basket under the stroller!) Luckily, everyone in the area was either honest or unobservant.

We don't even bother with a diaper bag. We just use a plastic bag with the essentials thrown in for our soon to be 4 year old. As for valuables, I tend to wear cargo shorts with large pockets that can be secured.

My diaper bag last month contained diapers, wipes, change of clothes/shoes for little man, sunscreen, spray fan, snacks, sippy cup, lightweight blanket to block out the sun at nap time and extra plastic bags. I used a backpack that I bought last time. Anything of value stayed with me, in my backpack purse.

I suggest doing a practice run before you leave home. I'm glad that I tried first because that bag I had intended to use didn't actually hold everything.

I didn't bother with a diaper bag either. I used a cloth reusable bag to contain all of the stuff, so it was easy to remove for bag check or folding up the stroller or whatnot. I wouldn't want to have to dig around in the bag while it was contained in that small bin under the stroller. After bag check, I redistributed stuff to the cup holder caddy, the pouch behind the seat, etc, so it was better organized.

I have used a stroller on all of my trips to Disney and I used a backpack each time. I kept all my snacks, diapers extra clothes in it. I left it in my stroller most of the time and no one ever bothered it. Just like others I carried anything valuable in a smaller purse. There are so many strollers and the CM are constantly moving them. I dont think anyone is even thinking about stealing a diaper bag

I'm not sure if you're concerned about zip-tying to prevent theft or if it doesn't fit in the basket and you want a way to attach the bag so you're hands free. Depending on the type of stroller, a heavy bag will cause the stroller to tip backward when your child isn't riding in it. Of course, we should always be sensible about security, but I've never had a problem with theft and don't hear much on these boards or social media where people have problems with it at Disney

I left a small diaper bag with diapers, wipes & an older outfit (in case of accidents) in the bottom of the stroller and no one ever messed with it. Just don't leave anything valuable in there.

I'm not understanding what you're trying to achieve by zip tying. If the bag itself is not valuable, then why not just leave it in the stroller while you're in attractions?

This will be our first trip with a stroller as well, we plan on using a small retractable lock.
5ce12.jpg

That could make it more tempting to thieves because it looks like there's something worth stealing in the bag.

Why not just put the diapers and wipes in a ziploc bag and put that in the bottom of the stroller?

This is what we did. One ziplock with diapers/wipes, one with a change of clothes, one with suncreen, motrin and lotions. I also have a tote that folds up into a little pouch to carry the ziplocks for when we needed to collapse the stroller.

Ditto the others on just leaving the diaper bag in the bottom of the stroller.

One thing to add, though - I decorate the stroller with something bright so we can easily spot it in the huge line of strollers. Nothing overwhelming, just something to look for to save time hunting. Kinda like tying ribbon on luggage to make it stand out from all the other black luggage :)

My wife and I took our two year old last year and each day we each carried a backpack. I carried a cinch sack and she carried her Vera Bradley book bag. One of us would keep the valuables and the other would keep the supplies for our toddler. It was much easier having on backpacks and not have to worry about carrying things or dealing with diaper bags. Thank God our three year old is now potty trained so this trip will be much lighter packing for each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter