stroller crazy?

Good gracious! Why do y'all keep saying "able-bodied children"? It's not like the OP is saying she wants to put them in a wheelchair. Strollers are not intended for non "able-bodied" children.

Even a pediatrician will tell you that a full day, walking, at Disney can be too much on a child. It's not "a little exercise", it's MILES and hours of standing still.

We make the distinction because if, on the Dis, you ever suggest that something might not be age-appropriate, the immediate response is someone saying, "but my special needs/ disabled kid..."

So yes. There are exceptions. A 10 year old with low muscle tone is not the same as a 10 year old with no physical problems or disabilities for the purposes of a stroller discussion.

My pediatrician looked at me like I had two heads when I asked her what she thought of putting a big kid in a stroller for a day at Disney. (I was curious, since nowhere but the Dis have I ever heard of 8 year olds in strollers. Wanted to know if it was just me.)

We used a stroller on our last visit in 2007. Being from the UK, The heat and humidity is very different and can wear us out quicker. The following year we went to Lanzarote and found it fine to go without strollers.

No, don't put a 6 and 8 year old in a stroller. Reading disboards it is my opinion that this is just another way parents today coddle the children too much. If they are that tired, take a break.

Article

Too Big For a Stroller: Why Carting Your Big Kids Does a Disservice

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WellnessNews/big-stroller-carting-big-kids-bad/story?id=13597874

Though the American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't have official guidelines for when to stop using a stroller, Shu says that "kids should be transitioning out of a stroller at around three years old."

Beyond encouraging a child's development and mobility, Dr. Ari Brown, parenting expert and co-author of "Baby 411," says using a stroller past the age of 4 or 5 is also discouraging kids from being active and independent.

"By this age, kids should be able to follow directions, listen to you and hold hands when you're crossing the street," she says. "In this day and age when our children are becoming more sedentary, you're sending the wrong message by chauffeuring them around."

I think it's a good call on no stroller. We had a stroller for our son last time we went - he was 3 years 8 months - and he fought it at the beginning. We were glad he had it as he napped in it every day. Still, we're thinking of going in September and he'll be 4 1/2. A stroller will be a decision made a week or two before we go (we would rent one since he hasn't used one on a day to day basis since he was about 2). I couldn't imagine even thinking of one for an 8 year old.

I have 5 boys, none of them used a stroller past 18-22 months. I never used a stroller in a mall with any of them, they were either in a snugli, or walking when they could.

However, at disney. I rent the double. In 2005, kids were 7, 5 and 3. Why did we, you ask. Well, it was the "rainy season/hurricane season", so we would have all 3 (yes all 3 in the disney double, they were all small enough), hop in and go where we needed to go. We did not run, we did not walk any faster than our normal pace, but I knew exactly where all 3 were at all times. We just went again, with all 5 kids. So the 2 youngers were 6 an 3.5. We again rented the disney double. It was easy to have them hope in and go. It was a god send when we were caught in downpours and needed to "make a run for it". Which happened several times over the 10 days we were there. Also, ran late often to ADR's, so just needed to step up the pace a bit. They walked all around the resort, from the gates to the buses, and buses to the gates etc. Plus, I knew exactly where those 2 were at all times also. It was great leaving the park, walking down Main Street, in the dark, with people every where. When you kids out number you, you do what is possible to streamline your focus when watching your kiddos. It was easier for me, to look out for the 3 older kids, and a double stroller, then trying to look after 5 walking kids. Did I do them a disservice? No, we walked slow to enjoy the surrounding areas, they got out of the stroller often to walk about and enjoyed the fountains etc.
But do what you think is right for you. We went in August/Sept., it was hot, the 3.5 yr old walks like a turtle, the heat really slowed him down more. If we went in January or February and it was 50/60 out, they would have done great walking, but still if it were crowded, I would still get a stroller, for my own sanity.

Okay! Let me try to address most posts. Sometimes I need a little push to get past my kiddos being as old as they are and I don't always give them enough credit for what they can do.:guilty: Thankfully, DH is great at making me face these things. :love: He is anti stroller.

Our kids are exposed to a very healthy lifestyle and have even run 5K's and have a Mama who runs 5K's, 10K's, and 1/2 marathons. My original plan was to get them more active prior to our trip with more hikes, bikes, walks/runs, to build up stamina.

I'm not an insane WDW mad person who feels she has to Dash (no pun intended) to each ride/attraction. I just get worried about things like ETWB and if we don't get there right away we'll end up waiting in an hour line. I don't like waiting in lines that long, so how can I expect my kids to wait in those lines.

Given all the wonderful feedback here. I need to give my kiddos a bit more credit. I'm not going to rent a stroller. Is there some sort of "not going to rent a stroller anonymous" support group out there, because I might need it? I'm going to hope for the best. Worst case scenario.......we rent a Disney stroller.

Thanks for all your feedback and for making me face reality!

It's hard for us to realize out "babies" are growing up. But, they will still always be my babies. Since your kids have already run 5K's they will be just fine!

I think people forget you are not walking miles and miles without stopping. At least I don't. You are sitting in a ride, at a restaurant, watching a show etc. Fast passes are your friend as far as not waiting in line. When I have gone at that time of year, I have never waited more than 30 minutes for anything.

Have a great trip!

We make the distinction because if, on the Dis, you ever suggest that something might not be age-appropriate, the immediate response is someone saying, "but my special needs/ disabled kid..."

So yes. There are exceptions. A 10 year old with low muscle tone is not the same as a 10 year old with no physical problems or disabilities for the purposes of a stroller discussion.

My pediatrician looked at me like I had two heads when I asked her what she thought of putting a big kid in a stroller for a day at Disney. (I was curious, since nowhere but the Dis have I ever heard of 8 year olds in strollers. Wanted to know if it was just me.)

Great post. you explained it very well.

No, don't put a 6 and 8 year old in a stroller. Reading disboards it is my opinion that this is just another way parents today coddle the children too much. If they are that tired, take a break.

Or you could just have a child who walks at a snails pace. My niece did at 7 (the last time we threw her in a stroller at WDW so we could get more than one ride a day in, lol) and still walks like a snail today. Except now she gets it that if she walks too slow we don't get as many rides in.

OP--I would plan on not having to use a stroller, but not get all crazy focused on MY KIDS CAN'T USE A STOLLER!! If you end up needing one, get one. It is so not the huge deal it is made out to be on the Dis. Your kids won't end up fat and lazy and needing therapy because they used a stroller past the age of 3 at WDW. Do what works for your family.

Or you could just have a child who walks at a snails pace. My niece did at 7 (the last time we threw her in a stroller at WDW so we could get more than one ride a day in, lol) and still walks like a snail today. Except now she gets it that if she walks too slow we don't get as many rides in.

OP--I would plan on not having to use a stroller, but not get all crazy focused on MY KIDS CAN'T USE A STOLLER!! If you end up needing one, get one. It is so not the huge deal it is made out to be on the Dis. Your kids won't end up fat and lazy and needing therapy because they used a stroller past the age of 3 at WDW. Do what works for your family.

This just about sums it up for me! Thanks! I don't believe my kids will end up overweight because I put them in a stroller on one WDW trip. We are active and they are active. They are very lightweight genetically. They are just insanely slow walkers.

YES! I get so tired of people saying your kids are lazy or you are coddling your kids by letting them ride in strollers. Or they will become obese. This is the case for some but a stroller at an amusement park is not going to do that. My kids NEVER used strollers when they started walking at age 11 months but at Disney we rented them until they were 5 and 7. My kids do road races and so do my husband and I. My daughter is currently in 5 sports and the other in 3. They get enough exercise. That being said it is much more walking then you think in heat and humidity and crowds. And who cares what other people think. You and your child are enjoying your vacation. You as an adult can see all you want to see and so can your child. Now, the overweight adults in motorized scooters that make us wait for 15 minutest to load them on a bus--that is another issue.

I think this is your best bet. I know that at 2 and a half, DD could walk for 3 miles straight. We took her to Disney for a few days and only used a stroller for the last half day but only because she had picked up a bug and was sick. Other than that, she walked the whole time and we just went at a very slow pace. Our next trip is in October 2014 and I have no plans for her to use a stroller. She will be 4 and I would have to push her. Not gonna happen. Shows and Mickey ice cream bars are excellent breaks.

Article

Too Big For a Stroller: Why Carting Your Big Kids Does a Disservice

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WellnessNews/big-stroller-carting-big-kids-bad/story?id=13597874

Though the American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't have official guidelines for when to stop using a stroller, Shu says that "kids should be transitioning out of a stroller at around three years old."

Beyond encouraging a child's development and mobility, Dr. Ari Brown, parenting expert and co-author of "Baby 411," says using a stroller past the age of 4 or 5 is also discouraging kids from being active and independent.

"By this age, kids should be able to follow directions, listen to you and hold hands when you're crossing the street," she says. "In this day and age when our children are becoming more sedentary, you're sending the wrong message by chauffeuring them around."

I think that most people would agree that transitioning children out of a stroller at the age of three is a good idea.

However, when you are touring WDW for two weeks every day in the summer heat and humidity and you live in a cooler climate, the stroller is your friend! :love:

This is where common sense should prevail. If your child needs a stroller, then use one and don't feel guilty!

We stopped the stroller at 5. Last trip was 10 days and my 6 year old had no problem. One night he climbed in the stroller when his baby brother was in the Ergo and fell asleep that was it.

I found it extremely difficult to push him once he hid mid 40 pounds, I cannot imagine pushing an 8 year old all day in the heat.

We are planning a December trip and I have a 4 yr old. We are planning on taking a light stroller but I am sure it won't be used much. My children (including my 4 yr old) can normally keep up on anything but I'd rather be safe then sorry. We are extremely active with biking, hiking, sports, etc. Plus, it would make me feel better if the crowds get too much she can ride and I won't lose her. She has a real bad tendancy to not stay close to me and that can cause me some worries. Either way, have fun at Disney.

NOT ANOTHER STROLLER POST If they are slow walkers you should go at their rate. My sister and brother-in-law did that with their first trip dragging there 8 and 3 year olds with them. They had a stroller for the younger one and still had tried and cranky kids. Making for a FUN vacation!!! If you want to speed along take a adult only trip then you can go as fast as you want too. Unless your children are special needs I would not put a 6 and 8 year old in a stroller.

My kids are able bodied and healthy. Heck, we just walked 5 miles with our new dog this afternoon to a local park where they played, climbed trees, etc.

They were 10, 8 and 6 when we went to Disney last summer. We rented a double stroller.

Most of the time, our 6 year old rode solo. But, sometimes our 8 year old needed a break and once our 10 year old rode. They all fit well within the weight limits of the stroller.

It was great to let them sit in the stroller and sleep while we waited for a bus in the morning or they could get some shade when it was super sunny, as we went at the end of august.

I am so glad we rented one!

NOT ANOTHER STROLLER POST If they are slow walkers you should go at their rate. My sister and brother-in-law did that with their first trip dragging there 8 and 3 year olds with them. They had a stroller for the younger one and still had tried and cranky kids. Making for a FUN vacation!!! If you want to speed along take a adult only trip then you can go as fast as you want too. Unless your children are special needs I would not put a 6 and 8 year old in a stroller.

And these kids of posts are just why there is another stroller post! Everyone doesn't see this topic the same way. And some people like to hear both sides of the discussion.

What worked for your sister and brother in law would not have worked for my sister and brother in law. Not everyone vacations the same way, or sees this as a do it my way or you are wrong thing.

Ok so this post is obviously to each their own but I will give you my opinion.

I have 3 boys ages 8,6 and 1. I rented a double.

Last year my boys were 7,5 and 8 months old. I do not own a double stroller as my older 2 haven't ridden in a stroller in years! Heck- they didn't even use one at age 2 and 3 Bc they hated being confined. I took the plunge and rented the double last year and I have to tell you it was the BEST thing I ever did!! It made the trip alot smoother with them being able to take breaks.

My kids are extremely healthy and on top of that very very physical- they both play every sport and are constantly moving. So for them it wasn't a "lazy" issue. We don't take afternoon resort breaks. We are on the go from sun up to sun down- so yea they get tired and need a break. If they just wanted to rest or wanted to get out of the heat for a bit they got in it. Plus in the big rush crowds it was nice having them contained.

If you walk around the mall with an 8 and 6 year old in strollers then yea I can see a problem but Disney is an absolute exception. Hell- I wish I could hop in a stroller myself sometimes! It is exhausting! Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter