Stroller as wheelchair

katiefried

Earning My Ears
Hi, we will visit WDW (MK most likely) for a day shortly after DS turns 3. He has just been diagnosed with autism. I read a review of the DAS in a local autism magazine and the author mentioned they used the stroller as wheelchair tag for their child.

If you do this do you have to get a return time on the DAS or can you just wait in the regular line but get to keep your stroller? I'm not so concerned at this point with bypassing the line (although we will see how DS does), but being able to keep DS in his stroller while we wait, and put him back in it immediately would help immensely with his ability to wait and to transition off rides.

Hi, we will visit WDW (MK most likely) for a day shortly after DS turns 3. He has just been diagnosed with autism. I read a review of the DAS in a local autism magazine and the author mentioned they used the stroller as wheelchair tag for their child.

If you do this do you have to get a return time on the DAS or can you just wait in the regular line but get to keep your stroller? I'm not so concerned at this point with bypassing the line (although we will see how DS does), but being able to keep DS in his stroller while we wait, and put him back in it immediately would help immensely with his ability to wait and to transition off rides.

You will be able to keep your son in his stroller through all the lines that are wheelchair accessible. For some rides you will be taken through a separate entrance.

2 different programs. SaWC allows you to bring the stroller into the line( including FP). Otherwise, strollers are not permitted in the lines at all.

the GAS will address any needs about standing in lines that are not addressed by the stroller. if all he needs is the cocoon /safety net of the stroller you will not need a DAS esp if you use FP+ to full advantage and get a good touring plan.

Agreeing with other posters.

Also, I copied the information about stroller as wheelchair from the first post of the WDW DAS thread for you.
You can find it stuck near the top of this board; the first post is FAQs.

My child doesn't have a wheelchair, but needs to stay in the stroller. Is this allowed?
Strollers are not usually allowed inside buildings or in most queues, but can be if needed because of disability.

- may be helpful to create a 'safe haven' for a child with cognitive/sensory disabilities or autism
- may be needed by children with disabilities that affect muscle tone or stamina

Sticker tag will be placed on the stroller to show it is being used as a wheelchair.
- park rental strollers would need a new sticker each day
- personal strollers in the past were usually tagged for the length of stay. THIS will probably continue.

If the only needs are mobility related, the child will not need a DAS; they will just need the sticker.
- If only for mobility related needs, the guest would follow the information above for guests using wheelchairs.
- if the child has additional needs besides using the stroller as a wheelchair, they would need a DAS card.

With a 'stroller as a wheelchair', you will be able to:
- take the stroller in all lines and buildings, even if strollers are not usually allowed
- use wheelchair entrances.
- use the stroller until boarding. The child may need to be removed to board a ride, but you can leave the stroller at the boarding area. You won't need to fold it, but should take anything of value.
- use the stroller in shows and sit in the wheelchair seating areas. The child may need to get out of the stroller and sit on an adult's lap if the stroller seat is too low. Most shows have limited numbers of wheelchair spots, so wheelchair spots are sometimes filled before other seats are filled.
- use wheelchair areas for parades. Wheelchairs and strollers are usually parked very close together across the front of the viewing area. If your child needs to be away from others, this may not work for you, or you may need to park behind the front row to get more space. Areas sometimes fill quickly, so arrive early.

Thanks everyone for the clarification! I had not realized they were separate programs. I think/hope just the stroller as wheelchair will suit our needs!

Thanks everyone for the clarification! I had not realized they were separate programs. I think/hope just the stroller as wheelchair will suit our needs!

If it turns out it doesn't, and they didn't give you a DAS to start with, go back up to guest relations and explain what problems you specifically had while in the line. If you can bring up specifics, they might be able to provide you with one, especially if you weren't sure about it before.

Thank you for this useful information. My son doesn't have autism but has several medical conditions including low muscle tone. He's 18 months and not even walking. He will be 2 on our trip. I will definitely be getting out stroller tagged as a wheelchair for him.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter