Stroller as Wheelchair stares and comments

just my 2 cents. i had a back injury i am somewhat better now no huge deal anymore. Once in a while i still have issues. sometimes i need to sit or cant carry stuff and people will give a look if my wife waits in line for me and i walk up and take my daughter on the carousel or something. without thinking she sometimes will say to me honey is you back hurting to much should we leave.
I bring this up cause if for some reason you get a stare which i pray you dont. Maybe its a good time to ask your daughter how she is a maybe mention "well we have been here for a hour how much more do you think you can do" people will shut up real quick. Its disney anyways have a family member offer her a arm like a little princess should get when she walks.... if i see someone walking there daughter in arm in arm i only stare cause it is a sweet thing to do.
have a good trip

I might be concerned that putting signs or buttons on the stroller could call MORE attention to your daughter, rather than truly help "educate" those who will choose to be rude. We've managed to grow a fairly thick skin and not let the stares or comments bother us - I can see how they might not understand that a little girl who bounds out of the stroller to get in the ride car truly needs that stroller to preserve her stamina and make it more than an hour through the day. You know she needs it, she knows she needs it. I tell my DD that "other people don't always understand or know about your needs, just like you don't always know about them" and will continue into what we don't know about others (i.e., where they are from, how many in their family, did they drive a car or fly on an airplane, what did they eat for breakfast, etc.). She's been fairly accepting of that and stares or comments haven't bothered her much, and I ignore them. It's something we all have to deal with at different times in our lives, being the subject of a stare or comment, but unfortunately some of our kids face this early and often.

I just wanted to point out by trying to "counter-act" the rudeness of others, you may inadvertently call more attention to yourselves - and you'll have to decide whether that would be more troublesome or not.

Enjoy your vacation!

I concur with what lanejudy said. Well said :)

We have an 8 year old DD with mild CP. She looks pretty normal and cute (alebit small) and wears one AFO, she's very smart and thanks to ADHD shares this wisdom with those around her. People don't see the AFO or the funny way she walks, they see a clever pretty little girl sitting in a stroller. I've been abused on a DCL, DL and frequently in the shopping centre carpark when we park in a disabled park and oh my gosh, she walks 2m to her stroller!

I use these encounters to teach her, her three older brothers (and remind myself) to be non-judgemental. When things that others do or say may not meet our expectations (or society's norms) I encourage my kids to think why.

My older boys have a riotous time with this thinking up all sorts of erm adult relationship issues why people are cranky and rude! They make up all sorts of stories about why somebody has broken their leg. It just encourages them to think outside the square that you just don't know what goes on...

Personally when I'm at disney I am too busy having fun with my family to look at others. Believe me if i wanted to be judgemental at disney i could find lots of things to stare at and be rude but i'm there to have a good time and totally ignore things unless someone were to cut in front of the line then I will be very in their face . My advice to you is that their are all classes of people and you can luckily choose not to acknowledge the existence of low life forms. They will always be present but their impact on you is only what you allow. Have a wonderful time with your family and appreciate the things in life that are special and the infirmities we all have sooner or later fade with the disney magic at least for brief moments of laughter and delight. I am a cancer survivor and have had two hip replacements and maybe becasue of all that I've learned to enjoy life to the fullest and only surround myself with positive kind people

I like the idea of a "hidden disability" button. :idea: My son is 6 and has leukemia. He is towards the end of 3 years of chemotherapy. He looks perfectly normal, and people we don't tell do not even know he has it. However due to all the medication, he does tire easily and there is no way he could keep up with all the walking and the long hectic days at the parks, so we will probably rent a stroller for him.
I worry somewhat about what people will think, however I have seen plenty of kids over the age of 4 or 5 in strollers there. Plus, they are just nice to have to put all your stuff in. On our last trip, I picked up one of those mesh bags that attach to the handle bars for additional storage space.
People should be more aware of hidden disabilities. My nephew is 6 and is autistic and tends to "throw tantrums" in public places. My sister has even had people come up to her and say "can't you control you kid!" Its crazy:sad2:

I understand your worries. My DD4 has some issues that cause her to tire very quickly and she still needs a stroller. On previous trips to WDW Ide hear a few rude remarks and stuff, at first it got to me, then I didnt care. As she is older I worry more about it. Fortuantly our last trip, last month, I never heard anything, got a few looks, but thats it.

I dont forsee her outgrowing this. So, I worry about not only WDW, but even at home when shopping, at sporting events for siblings, etc, she has to ride in stroller. Ide love something to not call attention, but for those who are already staring to have to read, to be informed that no, she is not lazy, neither am I, this is necessary for her to be able to function.

Ide do a few pins if she likes the idea and talk to her about it and not worry. She sounds small enough for you not to get too many crazy looks and if you do, just ignore or smile. Enjoy your trip.

Good luck with the wheel chair. We hope to be able to get one approved for our DD4 soon. She is pretty tall and looks silly in most strollers.

This is slightly off topic, yet still relevant.

When DD outgrew her stroller and graduated to a WC everyone stared at her. I mean everyone. DH wouldn't push the chair, because everyone was staring. However, after several months people were not staring anymore. I realized that people were never staring. It was my perception. I was uncomfortaable with the WC so it seemed everyone else was looking at us. Generally speaking, people are very kind, or so immersed in their own life that they don't even notice us.

This is slightly off topic, yet still relevant.

When DD outgrew her stroller and graduated to a WC everyone stared at her. I mean everyone. DH wouldn't push the chair, because everyone was staring. However, after several months people were not staring anymore. I realized that people were never staring. It was my perception. I was uncomfortaable with the WC so it seemed everyone else was looking at us. Generally speaking, people are very kind, or so immersed in their own life that they don't even notice us.

Thank you! I think that is a very wise observation. At least part of our problem is that we are really just beginning to accept the fact that, at almost 8 years old, this is probably a permanent problem.

OTOH, there really are some incredibly rude people out there. We can laugh about it now, but at the time the rudest person we ever encountered really upset my daughter:

We were in line to see Fantasmic and were at the gridlock where the strollers and wheelchairs are all the way to one side and the cast members are pulling the strollers out to park them. The CM saw our red tag and waved us on, but the woman behind us kept making comments that we were supposed to park our stroller.

Finally, she reached out and tapped me on the shoulder and said, "You need to park your stroller in there." I turned around, held up the tag and told her that our stroller counted as a wheelchair. She then said something to the effect of that if she needed a wheelchair she should have a wheelchair and why did she need a wheelchair anyway to which I replied, (truthfully) "She had back surgery."

Then, she said, "Well I wish my child had surgery so she could stay in her stroller all day!"

Now I know that this was a hot and tired mom who had had a long day, but still everyone in my family was stunned. My poor DD (who was like 5 or 6 at the time) was horrified she kept wanting to go "tell that mommy that surgery hurts."

Sigh

For the most part we don't let it bother us. We are busy having fun and enjoying ourselves. DD is almost 10 has epilepsy, low muscle tone among other ailments. Because I have two younger children 5 and 18 months we use a stroller. I have a double stroller that DD fits in well because she is very small for her age. I think we finally hit 50 lbs a few weeks ago. Needless to say we are a stroller family. DD is able to walk but tires very easily. Also, if it is hot she tires even faster. Heat and being tired are two of the biggest triggers for her seizures. I do not feel bad using my stroller as a wheelchair and I will continue to do so as long as we need to. Most of the time it isn't an issue. However, a few years ago we were in going into POTC. This family behind us had been on a few rides with us previously was behind us again. The dad had been kinda rude most of the time but not directly to or about us. We just didn't pay him any attention. Well the CM at POTC told them to park their stroller but waved us on. Rude dad screams "what did you have to do to be able to keep your stroller?" My husband turned around and replied very calmly...."pay the medical expenses we pay and you'll find out". The mother was horrified and grabbed the husband and left the ride. The CM just smiled and said "enjoy the ride".

These are all great tips.

So how does the stroller as a wheelchair work, exactly? I am a Disney newbie going to the parks in June. My middle daughter, 4 has moderate CP (wears AFO's, significant foot drop/limp, walks very limited distances and uses her stroller at home/preschool).

She will need to upgrade to a wheelchair eventually, but for now her stroller works fine (she's tiny for her age).

So how does the stroller as a wheelchair work, exactly?

Exactly as it says, the child's stroller is considered a wheelchair and allowed anywhere that wheelchairs are allowed (in lines, in shows, etc.). Otherwise, strollers are usually required to be parked before getting in line or entering shows. GAC is only good for rides/shows in the parks, not restaurants or resorts or Downtown Disney or transportation. You will still need to fold the stroller to board the buses and some boat transportation, though you can push it right onto the monorail.

When you get to the first park you are attending, go to Guest Services and you will need to explain what accommodations your child needs - why she needs to remain the stroller - just as you did here. GAC's are not based on diagnosis, rather on need.

Enjoy your vacation!

It is very simple. You will go to Guest Services and explain that you need a Guest Assistance Card. (GAC) Explain to them that your DD will be using her stroller as a wheelchair along with any other accomodations you may need. They will give you a card that is stamped Stroller as Wheelchair along with anything else that you may need. They will also give you a red sticker to place on the stroller handle that reads the same. Your DD will be able to stay in her stroller just as a person using an actual wheelchair would do. Just show the CM the card and the sticker and they will direct you in the direction to go.

I have been allowed to use my grandson's stroller as a wheelchair as I use it for balance instead of my rollator in the parks if I am not using my powered wheelchair.

It is very simple. You will go to Guest Services and explain that you need a Guest Assistance Card. (GAC) Explain to them that your DD will be using her stroller as a wheelchair along with any other accomodations you may need. They will give you a card that is stamped Stroller as Wheelchair along with anything else that you may need. They will also give you a red sticker to place on the stroller handle that reads the same. Your DD will be able to stay in her stroller just as a person using an actual wheelchair would do. Just show the CM the card and the sticker and they will direct you in the direction to go.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

Just wanted to let everyone know that we did end up getting an actual "stroller wheelchair" and used it for our most recent trip. A few observations:

1- It was wonderful to push something that was actually made for an 8 year old. Much more comfortable for her and us as well.

2-Because it looks like a stroller, we still needed the GAC and red tag, but the CMs were very aware and helpful

3- The buttons were a real hit for my child and also got some positive comments from understanding adults.

So, glad you had fun. I have a friend who had little business type cards made up for her son with info on his condition. When people talk, stare, etc...she whips one out and hands it to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter