Stroller as a wheelchair

DisneyGirl07

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

We are headed down to WDW in a few weeks. My DD6 has epilepsy, SPD and is low tone. Between her seizure meds and her low tone she fatigues very easily. I really don't think we need a DAS card but using our stroller as a wheelchair will help her greatly. Is the process the same as getting a DAS card? Can anyone please share their experiences?

Thank you.

Yep. Just head to guest relations and ask for a stroller as a wheelchair tag for her stroller. There's no picture required so it's a little quicker. Shouldn't take more than a minute.

Thank you for your response. I was hoping it was a simple process. I know some lines can't accommodate a stroller such as Peter Pan so I am using a FP+ on that one. Can you think of any other rides where we might do that? She is very timid so we won't be doing any coasters or big rides anyway. Just the kiddie ones.

Thank you again.

Thank you for your response. I was hoping it was a simple process. I know some lines can't accommodate a stroller such as Peter Pan so I am using a FP+ on that one. Can you think of any other rides where we might do that? She is very timid so we won't be doing any coasters or big rides anyway. Just the kiddie ones.

Thank you again.
I'm copying this from my response on another thread....

Most of the regular lines are wheelchair accessible all the way to the boarding area, so you will be waiting in line with everyone else.
If you are using Fastpass Plus for any attractions, most of those lines are also wheelchair accessible.
For those few attractions where the line or boarding area is not wheelchair accessible, the CMs at the entrance will direct you where to go and what to do.

If the boarding area and unload area are in different spots, the CMs will take care of moving the wheelchair to the unload area for you.

All shows have wheelchair spots with space for a wheelchair and at least one companion to sit next to the wheelchair user. Others in your party would not be right by, but would be close.

You can pick up a Guidemap for guests with disabilities in the entrance area of each park - look for the maps with a black border at the top.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread also has some posts that will be very helpful. Posts 18-21 on page 2 of that thread have information about getting into attractions and which might be difficult transfers.
Post 22 has information about attractions with stairs and moving walkways. You will be directed at the attraction on how to go around the stairs.
Most of the moving walkways can be slowed, but will not be stopped. Peter Pan and Tomorrowland Transit Authority can't be stopped or slowed.
Most of the rest can be slowed, but they avoid stopping them for the safety of other guests (when an attraction stops, some guests panic and try to get out of their ride vehicle).

And another...
To use a stroller in line, you will need to go to Guest Services at a park and get a "stroller as wheelchair" tag.
This will allow you to bring her stroller wherever wheelchairs are allowed. DAS is not needed to do this, just the stroller as wheelchair tag.

You do not need a DAS (Disability Access Service) card since her mobility needs will be taken care of by using the stroller in lines. DAS is not used for mobility needs that are served by using a mobility device (like a stroller) in lines.

You can read more about DAS in the DAS threads near the top of this board. Post one in each thread is a DAS FAQs.

It would be possible to carry a baby or small toddler thru Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, but not a 5 year old.
There are hundreds of steps up and then back down. Many are narrow, steep or twisting. There are very few landings where you could stop to rest.

Here are others where guests must be ambulatory:
Tomorrowland Transit Authority in a Magic Kingdom - getting up to the 2nd floor loading area requires going up a moving ramp - think of a smooth escalator with no steps. It is very steep, is metal and can feel somewhat slippery. Boarding and unloading use a moving walkway. Getting down to the ground involves going back down a steep moving ramp.
This might be doable if you can either carry her or support her in a non weight bearing standing position. Be very careful getting off the moving walkway.

Tom Sawyer's Island in Magic Kingdom - the raft to get over there is accessible, but you can't get very far onto the island without reaching stairs. The island is full of elevation changes with stairs, narrow twisty pathways and things like rope and barrel bridges.
If you decide to go over, be prepared to get her out of the stroller and carry her at times and carry the stroller past the obstruction. Also be prepared that you may sometimes get to an area you can't get thru and will need to go back the wAy you came.

The issue with Peter Pan's Flight is that wheelchairs can't be brought very close to the loading area. The load send unload area are relatively short and are on a moving walkway which can't be slowed or stopped. I would recommend watching loading send unloading for a while to see if you think you would have time to get on and off.

There is more information that will be helpful in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board. You can find it stuck near the top or follow the link in my signature

The stroller-as-wheelchair tag will allow you to take the stroller into any lines, just like a regular wheelchair. Nearly all queues at WDW are accessible, on those that are not, you will be directed accordingly when you approach the ride. We have used stroller-as-wheelchair at Peter Pan, no reason not to; the moving walkway cannot be stopped at Peter Pan, so maybe that's what you were thinking. If you check the disABILITIES FAQ sticky near the top of this forum, there is information about accessibility at specific rides. We have had no problem taking a stroller in any lines, just make sure you show the tag as you approach the line or they may initially direct you to park it.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter