Stroller age

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. We still have 4 months to decide.

She is small and 32 pounds, not that it makes a difference to any of you but she isn't one of those gigantic kids you see being pushed around the park. She still fits perfectly in the stroller.

Pros of taking the stroller definitely outweigh the cons but who knows what we will do at this point??

Pros:
-she can rest/nap when needed (napping also leads to another pro which gives hubby and I quiet time while we are doing the food and wine festival at Epcot)
-holds our junk (lol)
-we can go at our pace and not hers
-beats the price of renting one of theirs

Cons:
-folding up stroller for a bus (which would only be the one day we go to AK)
-dealing with stroller parking

I say bring it! It will make your life easier-Heck, some of the adults that use the scooters could walk!:lmao:

Every kid is different. My younger sister went on her first Disney trip at 6 and walked the whole time, but was pretty wiped out by the end of the trip. My mom often comments she should have brought her stroller for her just in case.

Cons:
-folding up stroller for a bus (which would only be the one day we go to AK)

If AK is your last park visit for this trip - you could tour AK, head out to the bus and just throw the stroller away before boarding. (or more precisely - "donate" it to lost and found)

we will be there this weekend and i will be taking my stroller.
i have 6yr old twins and i didnt even give it a second thought.

it's funny, 1st thing my mom asked me was if i was going to be taking the stroller, cause the kids were getting older. i said of course, if the kids still fit comfortably then it's going.

we've been to WDW plenty of times and i know this is 1 thing i must have at the parks. there are times the kids are not even sitting on the stroller but when they get tired, i know its there for them.

most important thing is to, do what would make you and your families day at the parks enjoyable.

On the DIS the top age for a stroller is roughly 17. ;) In my family it is 5. You should figure out what works for you, balancing convenience, consistency, opinion of the child and whatever other factors are important to you.

This seems to be so true. lol

I have actually wondered this week how many people on here talking about renting strollers for healthy kids 6 and older are from outside of the US. Many of the individuals that seem to be coming from other countries (some may be from America but don't speak English) don't have their kids in strollers. I just find it interesting.

My youngest does not and will not use a stroller anywhere and she is 8. We started coming here when she was 5 and she has not used the stroller for more than maybe a couple of minutes at one MNSSHP and refused to use it ever again.

We go to Disney every year and my daughter will turn 6 right before we go this time. Each year we bring the stroller and she used it everyday when we were out. Usually each day she will doze off and take a nap for an hour or two. I can't decide if she is too old for it or not this year? We just got back from a vacation this past week and we did not take the stroller and she kept asking for it!!! At some point we have to take it away but we walk a lot T Disney! I've never had trouble taking anything away from her as a baby so I don't know why I am hung up on this if that makes any sense? Thoughts?

I think you're answering your own question. You state that you are having difficulty taking it away....So it is actually just you 'pulling the trigger' that sounds like the issue. SOunds like you realize that your dd shouldn't have one anymore. I agree that the decision is a tough one. That's why I early on made the rule 'no stroller after 5' for our family. I was worried about ME being able to take it away and the difficulty and just doing what was 'easiest' by throwing her in a stroller for a couple extra years. But I knew it was the best thing for her to make sure she grows up in this respect - walks herself, more independent, realizing that to have fun at WDW it takes a lot of walking. Once that rule was made and the decision was done - I felt much better about the whole thing.

Good luck with the break. If you decide to go for it I would let her know upfront so she knows not even to ask for it.

My six year old used a stroller for the entire week in May. We got some looks, and I didn't let that deter me one bit. For one, I am the one who has to deal with it when she is tired at the end of the day. Also, my daughter is the type who stops to pick up Mickey glitter, or look at a store window, etc... Whe she is in a stroller, I know where she is and she can't wander. Since my husband didn't go with us this time, I had my 6yo and 9yo by myself. The stroller was a welcome respite for my daughter and peace of mind for me. If other people think she's too old, that's fine. I'll never see them again anyway![/QUO

I could not agree more.We went without our stroller once when our son was 7. He is pretty high energy but even he was exhausted toward the end of our trip.I ended up renting stroller at Magic Kingdom and I was determined to give his little legs a break and not have to deal with him being more crabby than he already was. He needed it and I ignored the looks.Plus I knew where he was at all times. I think mom's know their kids best. I must have been tired too because that was the same night I walked up behind a perfect stranger and wrapped my arms around him only to notice my real husband in my peripheral vision giving me a "what the heck are you doing now" look. We still laugh hysterically about that one. Maybe I needed the stroller. My husband probably would have appreciated keeping a closer eye on me too.:lmao:

I must have been tired too because that was the same night I walked up behind a perfect stranger and wrapped my arms around him only to notice my real husband in my peripheral vision giving me a "what the heck are you doing now" look. We still laugh hysterically about that one. Maybe I needed the stroller. My husband probably would have appreciated keeping a closer eye on me too.:lmao:

Thus the name "disfreak"?

Just kidding...

I rented a double stroller in the parks when my son was six. I loved having it. // I didn't even consider not getting one. The unofficial guide recommended that touring Disney parks can be a long tiring day and to get a stroller if your kid wants one and can fit in one. I took that recomendation and think it was an excellent one. He didn't complain about his feet being tired etc. // used it when he wanted to and walked when he didn't want it. My nephew (8) rode in it for some of the time with him too. And my niece (11) rode in it a little with him also. We obviously wouldn't get one for them, but got the double so all the kids could get little chances to take a rest. Since our park days lasted from about 8 a.m. till midnight (about 16 hours -- Christmas time with extended hours), I think it was really worth having it. We could go at an adult pace and didn't have to take extra breaks for the kids. We did the MK one day and Epcot the other. We didn't visit Disney again till my son was 10, and then, of course, didn't need one or even think about getting one.

I agree with previous posters too that the park where we tended to do the most walking was Epcot, and that the stroller was a godsend there.

How you tour would make a difference too. If you're getting those length of stay Disney tickets, take afternoon breaks, only spend so many hours at the parks, that makes a difference.

We tend to on a week long trip do just two Disney days -- usually from rope drop to closing, two Sea World days -- one full day and one more relaxing partial day, and two resort days on a seven night six day trip. It's the long touring days when little legs can get tired and a stroller IMHO helps make it a very pleasant day for everyone. Happy kids not complaining = Happy parents.

We go to Disney every year and my daughter will turn 6 right before we go this time. Each year we bring the stroller and she used it everyday when we were out. Usually each day she will doze off and take a nap for an hour or two. I can't decide if she is too old for it or not this year? We just got back from a vacation this past week and we did not take the stroller and she kept asking for it!!! At some point we have to take it away but we walk a lot T Disney! I've never had trouble taking anything away from her as a baby so I don't know why I am hung up on this if that makes any sense? Thoughts?

Bolding mine.

I agree with you that eventually you will need to get rid of it.

The fact that you just went on a vacation without it and she kept asking for it is a big clue that it will not be a difficult transition.

Why are you having such a difficult time with it?

Maybe you're trying to balance what you feel that your child needs with what society thinks?

Maybe you think that Disney could be the exception to the rule?

Maybe you just don't want to make the break on a Disney vacation?

Honestly, I'm not sure that I would make the break on a Disney vacation. Disney is not like the rest of the world. There is a lot of walking. If she's used to having a stroller on vacation, I can envision a very difficult time with a very tired and cranky child (which would happen with the most well-behaved kids).

I'm not sure how much longer you have left till your trip. If it's possible, you could explain to her that she's older, stronger, and doesn't need a stroller. Help her prepare physically by taking walks. Start small, them build up to longer walks. If she's prepared emotionally and physically, she will have an easier transition.

If it were me and I decided to use the stroller, I would let her know upfront that this would be the last trip that she would get to use it (I say this because you do mention it being about time to get rid if it.).
In the end, it's up to you. Do what you think is best for your child, and forget about everyone else's opinions.

Hi!

Every child is different.

DD1 used her stroller in the parks until she was about 4.5. She's always been a bundle of energy and could handle the walking fine at 4. DD#2 used her stroller at the parks until she was 6. She's always been the more tired/weaker kid and needed the stroller.

My 6 year old grand daughter will not have a stroller, she doesn't need one but the 6 year old grandson will have a stroller becasue he does need one. He is on medicine for allergies and asthma but people just walking by won't know that and I don't really care what they think about a 6 year old in a stroller. Each child is different, do what ever you think is right for your child.

Hot topic on the DIS...but it really is up to you. There are plenty of judgemental jerks on these boards, but the fact is your child will not be traumatized nor grow up to be a serial killer because you let them ride in a stroller at WDW at 6 years old.

Our DD was still in a stroller last year at 7.5 at WDW (except at the water parks where we made her walk). She hadn't used it at home since she was 4. We got no rude comments or questionable looks that I saw.

This year, she would still like to use the stroller, but I am of the opinion she is old enough to walk around now and the stroller is getting too hard to push...I wish we could still use it though because it is very handy for storage of bottles of water and snacks. Now, I'll have to sherpa them.

SP

I am one of the bad girls, still had a double stroller when kids were 7 and 9. 9 year old did not ride it all the time but did some times. It works for me, I take them alone, I like having them more confined and the shade works great too(from someone who has had a small bout of skin cancer). Dont' feel you have to give it up. It is your money, spend it however you please.

There sure are a lot of judgmental people on this board who apparently are also experts in parenting. Why are you all so quick to decide who should be in a stroller and who shouldn’t? My DD turns 6 in August, and she will be in a stroller when we go to Disney in November. I don’t need to ask for anyone’s permission or approval to make this decision because I AM HER MOTHER. I know what is best for her and for our family. I just don’t get what anyone gains from telling me that she is too old for a stroller or by giving us dirty looks (really?) in the park. I just find it offensive that so many people feel that they have the right to make decisions for others. Seriously, one more stroller at Disney World. Is that going to ruin the magic for you?:sad2:

I didn't read all the replies.

At 6 I would not bring a stroller for my own children. My older two children stopped using a stroller at around 3, even when we are traveling or out all day with a large amount of walking. We would take breaks if they needed but they rarely needed to stop except for meals and snacks and we would have stopped then anyway. My not quite 2 year old doesn't use a stroller very often anymore, this weekend we went on a 3 mile hike and she walked the entire time without stopping.

That being said... I don't think twice when I see older kids in a stroller. I know other families do thing differently. My sisters kids are 6 and 8 and they took turns using a stroller for their Disneyland trip over spring break. Her oldest gets tired and whiny easily and it makes the trip easier for everyone if the kids can sit in the stroller part of the time.

You know your child. If you think she can go without the stroller then leave it at home. You can always rent one. If you are less sure about it than bring your stroller with you and you can leave it in your hotel room or only use it on certain days. If you feel you all will enjoy your trip better with it then by all means bring it with you and use it. :goodvibes

This seems to be so true. lol

I have actually wondered this week how many people on here talking about renting strollers for healthy kids 6 and older are from outside of the US. Many of the individuals that seem to be coming from other countries (some may be from America but don't speak English) don't have their kids in strollers. I just find it interesting.

I noticed this in a trip report I read about tokyo disney. There were toddlers, teeny tiny, and no strollers in sight. Very interesting indeed.

There sure are a lot of judgmental people on this board who apparently are also experts in parenting. Why are you all so quick to decide who should be in a stroller and who shouldn’t? My DD turns 6 in August, and she will be in a stroller when we go to Disney in November. I don’t need to ask for anyone’s permission or approval to make this decision because I AM HER MOTHER. I know what is best for her and for our family. I just don’t get what anyone gains from telling me that she is too old for a stroller or by giving us dirty looks (really?) in the park. I just find it offensive that so many people feel that they have the right to make decisions for others. Seriously, one more stroller at Disney World. Is that going to ruin the magic for you?:sad2:

The OP explicity asked for advice and opinions that are different from hers, not for permission or approval. If you read most of the posts, they provide personal opinion with a comment or two about how it's ultimately the OP's decision and how she knows what's best for her family.

I'm 53 and I wish I could get someone to push me in a stroller!

It's my opinion that parents know their children-some kids don't need a stroller anymore after age 3 or 4 while others need one when they're 10. None of us appreciate being told how to parent. When someone asks for an opinion, I don't think they are asking for snarkiness to go with the opinion.:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter