Stroller Advice

Princess_K

DIS Veteran
We’re taking our almost 2yo to Disney later this year, which will be our first time ever flying with a little one, and we’re trying to figure out what to do about a stroller. Is It better to buy a lightweight stroller that we can use with her in the airport and then while at Disney, or is renting the way to go? I know this is subjective, but having never traveled with kids, is it best to have a stroller to navigate the airport (which we couldn’t do if we rent)? Please help some first time parents out!

Definitely a light weight stroller, or use the one you already have. You want a large basket underneath and a sunshade\canopy for sure. Cup holders for the adults is a "bonus".Whatever you chose, try it out. Make sure the handle is high enough for the person pushing. The average guest walks 8-10 miles per day and a slouched back all day, doesn't cut it. You definitely want a stroller for a two year old at the airport. Orlando airport is huge, especially if you land on side "A" and Magical Express is on side "B".

You should definitely have a lightweight/umbrella stroller for the airport! You might even want to consider still renting a good quality stroller just for the parks. I'm renting from Orlando Stroller Rentals and they provide free delivery and pick up to the resort.

What worked for us was not to have to lug a stroller through the airport in addition to luggage. At least not after we had more than 1 child.
We used a baby carrier (loved my Ergo and Beco) in the airport and rented a stroller for the week.
The rental companies mostly use CitiMini strollers. They are full size with a large canopy, full recline and have a one hand fold.

Last edited:
I used my regular every day driver when we went down with an almost 2 year old. But my every day driver is a Bob Motion, so it has rubber tires (good for things that aren't flat pavement), folds easily, RECLINES ALL THE WAY (key for stroller naps) and has a decent shade.

If you're flying non stop, the stroller is less important, but if you have a layover, you definitely want a stroller to strap a kid into.....If you're already a baby wearer, I guess that would work. But my 20 month old was bonkers tall and closer in size to a 3 year old.

For a 2 year old you will want a stroller at the airport. I would take your stroller from home. It is easy to gate check it. The only reason you would need to rent is if your child can't sleep in your stroller. If this is the case, rent a city mini that will be comfortable for your LO to sleep in. Even if your child does not nap at home, that may be different in the parks with all the stimulation. My boys are now 3 and 5 and we aren't doing a stroller for the airport but I rented a double for the parks. Stroller rentals from Kingdom Strollers or Orlando Stroller Rentals are easy and seamless. Have a great trip!

We just use our normal stroller. It is great having it at the airport. Then we gate check it right before you board and get it right as you are getting off. I wouldn't bother with an umbrella stroller. You want it big to hold stuff and comfortable for naps.

We use our umbrella- type stroller (Qbit) for the airport and for the park if we go back for a short time at night for the 3 year old, but rent a City Mini GT Double for the parks when we need to take a bunch of stuff (and when the 7 year old gets tired).

Thank you all! This has been so helpful. We consider ourselves to be Disney experts, but going with a little one is a whole new world.

Ours are older now but for many trips while they were that little would bring the umbrella stroller for the airports so can wheel them right up and leave folded before getting on the plane and they have it waiting for you when departing. We also rented the GT stroller ahead of time which was ready and waiting for us at Bell Services to use while we were there w a rain cover and cooler bag. The better tires and larger sunshade made for much easier maneuvering around napping/people/sidewalks etc. plus the added storage underneath and cupholders for us always came in handy too! These days I think you have to arrange pickup times for stroller rentals, but still worth the effort

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter