Stroller Advice

walkaboutcelery

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm not sure if I'm putting this thread in the right place but I'm having a hard time deciding what to do about a stroller. I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The 7 year old is too big for strollers but the 2 year old obviously needs one. We will be driving to WDW so we don't have to worry about bringing one on a plane or anything like that. I haven't been to Disney since I had kids so this is all new territory for me. I have two strollers- an umbrella stroller and a large stroller that came when a travel system with DS was an infant. I don't think the umbrella will work because it doesn't really keep the sun off and my children are super fair and hot natured (we will be using sunscreen of course but still). Is the other stroller too big to try to be lugging around buses and such? I know there are a lot of places that you can rent strollers from in the Orlando area and they will even be delivered to your resort, but we are on a budget and I'm just wondering if it is really worth it. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

(We are going April 6-10)

Even though you're on a budget, I'd see if you can rent a City Mini Double for BOTH kids. The combined weight limit is 100 lb. I have a friend whose 7-year-old son fit in one last November and he's not a small kid. Just something to consider.

I know my 5-1/2 year old will tire easily and we're bringing our lightweight stroller (decent canopy) for him.

My 7 year old has always been big and she weighs almost 80 lbs (she's tall). The 2 year old is at 34 lbs. So we're over weight limits for both. I wish she were small enough to ride though!

My 7 year old has always been big and she weighs almost 80 lbs (she's tall). The 2 year old is at 34 lbs. So we're over weight limits for both. I wish she were small enough to ride though!

Well never mind, then! :) I'd bring a stroller for your 2 year old, though.

A 7 year old in a stroller? Please. My kids would have rebelled at 2.5! :sunny:

I'd much prefer to leave mine at home, but my son has some problems with low tone and gets tired easily. So I'd rather have a stroller than carry 44 lb of boy.

There are lots of ways to go with this IMO. None are really the right way or wrong way. You may want to look for another umbrella stroller before you go that offers better sun protection. If you have the space pack both. Try one one day and the other the next and see what works best for you. Pro's of the umbrella are being smaller and easier to store when folded and light weight. Of course the con in your case is not enough sun protection in the one you currently have, maybe a big floppy hat could help? Pro's of the bigger one is possible storage space to lug stuff around in such as in park purchases, snacks and water you bring into the park, sunblock, diapers bag if that's still a concern. Con's of course are big and bulky and possible a harder time folding up.

Our first trip my DD was 3 and a half we brought the umbrella and used a back pack to carry any water, snacks, sunblock, and diapers (believe it or not the Disney trip helped her to get fully toilet trained. We told her how proud Mickey would be if she was toilet trained etc. She had started to use the toilet before we left, but not all the time, once we got there all she used was the toilet, Disney Magic :)) We took her again at just over 5yo and we didn't bother bringing a stroller, figured we would rent one if needed and she never did, she's full of energy.

What kind of stroller do you have? When my DS was younger, we would bring his Peg Perego to WDW which was nice because he was used to it, it was fairly lightweight and I could fold it with one hand. When he no longer needed the stroller in the airport, we started renting strollers from Magic Stroller and Kingdom Stroller (both good companies). They both rent City Mini's which were great in the parks - provided a ton of shade, came with rain covers and had ample space for all of our stuff. They are a little cumbersome when folding, but if you have another adult there to help you, it's not bad. We rented strollers inside the park twice and I don't recommend them. They are uncomfortable (the handle was too low for me and I'm 5'2"!) and there is nowhere to put your stuff so I would be pushing a stroller and lugging a bag - ugh.

If you are going to rent, go with Magic Strollers. They are a good company and usually their pricing is better than others. I think it will be about $47 for your trip. We only switched to Kingdom because my son needed a stroller with a higher weight limit and Magic didn't have them.

If the stroller you have provides ample shade and isn't too cumbersome, I would just bring it. Otherwise, you may want to either invest in a cheap stroller that is lightweight and has a good shade or rent.

I think we might rent a city mini from Magic Strollers. It is only $50 for the 5 days (although we might stay 6 before it's over with lol) and I think it would just be more comfortable for him and easier for me since his Eddie Bauer stroller is very cumbersome. Thanks for the advice!!

I would look at renting from Apple Strollers. They also rent City Mini strollers, and the fee is $5/day plus a $10 delivery fee (5 for delivery, 5 for pickup). So $45 for 5 days, and that includes insurance for the stroller (as you're technically paying for the insurance, and the stroller isn't being charged).

Magic Strollers' rental fee doesn't include insurance..the theft/damage insurance is $25 on top of the rental fee.

If you are driving, I would just take your normal everyday stroller. We took our Britax B-Ready and had no issues at all. If you can easily fold it up to get in your car, you can easily fold it up to get it on the bus. Plus you want the shade and comfort vs. an umbrella stroller.

My DS4 has not used a stroller at home for over two years, but we still keep his city mini specifically for our trips to Disney. It is one of the easiest to fold and not too bad getting on and off a bus. The strollers our older kids had when they were young were part of a travel system and much more cumbersome. We fly and like having it in the airport, so we bring our own.

Well, 50lbs is the weight limit on most strollers, so your 2yr old should be just fine. No matter what, you will need a stroller with a big canopy down here. I see a lot of baby lobsters down here, mainly because the strollers that they use don't have a sufficent canopy (not to mention lack of sunscreen). If your stroller doesn't provide enough shade, you can get a rayshade. Just found out about them - it's kinda huge shade that you fit over your existing canopy that extends it out more and protects your kid's head and such. However, don't forget the sunscreen on the kid - that's your #1 barrier, the rayshade is mainly a #2 barrier.
I have a Britax b-agile and it's considered a lightweight stroller (18lbs). It can get a bit clunky at times, but the 1-hand fold is great. Some strollers (forgot brand)have a sit-upon/ride-on in the back for the older kid. That might be a solution? One kid in the stroller, the other riding in the back?

Good luck on everything, and I'm sure you will get some more great advice! And no matter what, DON'T forget the sunscreen and to re-apply it. Get anything with zinc in it.

The only thing I regret about renting a City Mini is that I didn't know about them before Disney! I had thought that high-end strollers were a waste of money. Our first trip taught me how very wrong I was. Our travel system stroller felt like the old Lincoln Grand Marquis my dad made me drive in high school after using the City Mini for a week. It's lightweight, handles like a dream, and folds super easy. It is easily the best money we spend on our Disney vacations.

My kids will be 8 and 4 this fall and I want to rent a stroller for the younger one, just for the space and the good cover like you said. Also for storage for our stuff!

If your stroller doesn't provide enough shade, you can get a rayshade. Just found out about them - it's kinda huge shade that you fit over your existing canopy that extends it out more and protects your kid's head and such.

YES!! Thank you - this is exactly what I need!

A slightly more expensive option- but way easier IMHO- is the multi day price at disney. Its $13 a day and no delivery fee or insurance. Plus your full day rental is good at any park that day. We picked it up then dropped it off (no lugging on the bus! :)) then picked up one at the next park when we hopped just showing our receipt for the day. Plus dealing with delivery on your day out and still hitting a park can be a hassle.

I watch people trying to get their strollers with all the bags and stuff folded up etc and I smile. One woman tried to hold her infant and fold it up and grab her bags and waited till the bus showed up! DH helped her fold it up and drag it on the bus but she was trying to juggle all the stuff hold the baby and keep the damn stoller from hitting everybody around her.

Also easier through bag check! yes all those little cubbies underneath the kids have to be checked.

Hi! I'm not sure if I'm putting this thread in the right place but I'm having a hard time deciding what to do about a stroller. I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old. The 7 year old is too big for strollers but the 2 year old obviously needs one. We will be driving to WDW so we don't have to worry about bringing one on a plane or anything like that. I haven't been to Disney since I had kids so this is all new territory for me. I have two strollers- an umbrella stroller and a large stroller that came when a travel system with DS was an infant. I don't think the umbrella will work because it doesn't really keep the sun off and my children are super fair and hot natured (we will be using sunscreen of course but still). Is the other stroller too big to try to be lugging around buses and such? I know there are a lot of places that you can rent strollers from in the Orlando area and they will even be delivered to your resort, but we are on a budget and I'm just wondering if it is really worth it. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

(We are going April 6-10)

Nice to see all this advice! I'm taking my toddler for the first time in September. Still debating about bringing our own to save money or renting for convenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter