Stroller advice - 6yo + 4yo

maramarrie

Mouseketeer
I'm sure a similar question is posted a lot, so please forgive me. We are returning to WDW for close to the "dozenth" time. The last time we went with kids was a year ago, but I've been twice since then without them. I certainly got used to the no-stroller gig when I was there without them. We have always rented a double stroller from an outside company because of the kids' ages and sleeping habits (both would conk for a nap in the park or fall asleep on the way back to the hotel). Now that I have a school-age kiddo who rarely naps I'm not sure what (if anything) we should rent. DH thinks we should still rent because we are "park til we drop" kind of people and the kids will need to crash somewhere or we will be carrying them. If I rent a single stroller for whichever child is tired they will fight over it. If I rent a park stroller we will still have to deal with them for the trip back to the resort hotel. Is it ridiculous to have a 6yo in a stroller anyway? Should I force them to walk it; or go ahead and rent the stroller, letting it be our pack mule for the week?

I am not much help but my opinion is that you know your kids best... If you think they will need/want the stroller, I would make sure each has one. Strollers are better than exhausted, sore and cranky kids!!

We are hoping to go next year when. My girls are 4 and 5 and I will be renting a stroller for each! My girls (especially the younger) wouldn't be able to handle the walking!

My DD used a stroller when she was 6 and we were not park commandos. I would rent the same way you did before as long as your kids are under the weight limit. I think it's a PITB to rent a park stroller and have dead weight back to the bus/tram.

I plan on taking our Graco stroller that DD6 used when she was a baby. We ended up renting a stroller at Disneyland in 2013 3 of our 5 days. She hasn't ridden in one since. I should get is out and have her try it before we leave. I worry about the heat. I live in Southwestern BC Canada, a mild temperate climate where 23* C or 75F is a very warm summer day, with low humidity. I also like having something to push as I have mild CP. We are going in November so hopefully it won't be too hot.

We just went with our 8 and 5 year olds. the 8 year old swore she didn't want any parts of the stroller until it was actually time to rent it. We ended up renting a double and am so glad we did. It enabled us to get through the crowds and across the park quickly when necessary. And there is no way we wouldn't have been carrying somebody, at some point.

We brought our double stroller last year when our boys were 6 and 3. Both kids slept in it after wishes and both kids sat it in at some point during the day. It also helped when the kids were eating snacks since the kids aren't great at eating and walking at the same time. I had really regretted not bringing it with us on a trip to Washington DC because my 6yo complained about the walking the entire time. I am actually considering bringing the stroller with us this year even though my son will be 7!

Mine were 6 and 4 at DLR and that is smaller. I ended up renting a single stroller. DD ended up in it a few times. I'd rent a double.

I'm planning to rent a double for my kids who will be 7 & 5. I'm thinking a CitiMini GT. My 5 year old son would likely suck it up and walk but my 7 yo DD will whine. Plus it gives us somewhere to stash food (I'll bring fresh fruit & veggies to the park everyday) and jackets for evening (we are going early Dec). DD will use it to get some quiet space and read as she is an introvert and crowds can overwhelm her. They both took turns in our BOB stroller at the zoo in April so I'm sure it be worth it.

We took just one last year when they were that age and will be doing that again this year. The 4 y/o ended up napping in the afternoon then stayed up late where the 6 y/o would be in the stroller at the very end of the night. It was much easier then trying to carry the 6 y/o and if the 4 y/o was too tired at night, it was easier to carry him out

I would rent one. When mine was 6 (last year) she used it. We didn't regret the double stiller once.

We got back about 10 days ago. We had a single stroller for the baby. Our 6yo walked. He was totally fine. The small breaks for eating, even sitting on rides, was usually enough for him. If he was tired, he would sit while waiting in line. He sometimes sat in the stroller if the baby was in the carrier, but only as a chair. We never pushed him. I know the days can get long and hot, but I expect a 6yo to walk. He didn't really want to be pushed I don't think. I can't recall him complaining at all actually which is NOT typical. DH and I kept talking about how we cannot wait for both kids to be old enough to walk. I would never skip a stroller with a baby, but it was a pain. I can't wait to go without it.

Like PPs said, you know your kids best. You can always give it a try without and rent in park if needed. I know you'd still have to get them back to the hotel then, but maybe you won't need one. Good luck!

Last time, our girls were 4 & 5. We rented a double and it was wonderful. So glad that we had it. This time, we rented a double and it was a major pain in the ***. I have a two year old so, we had to have something. We got the double thinking that one of our older ones would want to ride and she did. She could have walked, but hopped in often. She's maybe 40 pounds, but it made the stroller that much harder to push. We got the GT and it was bulky and just hassle on transportation. I wish that we would have stuck with our own single.

one more thought - why not rent a single stroller and get the glider/buggy board for it? I know you can rent the city mini (standard or GT) and get the glider board. Then the older can stand and ride when they're tried of walking.

I have a Uppababy at home with the glider board (kids now 1+ and almost 5) and we've used it a lot since the baby was born. The older one loves standing and riding along when she's tired of walking.

We bring two individual umbrella strollers. They are easy to get on the airplane (so there's no renting) and then we can split up easily if needed. Our last trip was to DL this April and my boys were 4 and 6 and they both took advantage of down time in the stroller....and DL is much less walking.

Agreed! Bring umbrella strollers on the plane with you. I found $20 Disney strollers with attached shades before our trip. Always easy to find when in the stroller park too.

If finances permit, I definitely reccomend two single strollers. Like PP have mentioned, I really like the benefit of being able to split up if you need to. If not, I think a double stroller is still a really good option. Enjoy your trip!

I think that this totally depends on you and your kids. The idea of two single umbrella strollers seems like absolute torture to me. For both me and DH to always have to be pushing a stroller (with both hands because cheap umbrella strollers suck to push) would pretty much ruin the trip. Though my kids will be the same age as yours at the time of our trip, we are in a slightly different situation because I will have two 4yos and one 6yo. We are renting a double from an off site company. I didn't hesitate at all.

We will have a 12m old and a 5 yo on our next trip. I'm debating double stroller or just single and wear the baby.. but that would be pretty hot at times I'm sure. I may consider the glider board.

We bought a sit-n-stand off craigslist a few years back and still take it to Disney, our DDs are 5 and 10 and the elder will still sit a bit if she is tired. All I can say is that from what I have noticed, the majority of kids late at night having melt downs seem to be the ones that the family does not have a stroller. Plus we like to have it for storage over having to carry a back pack.

We are also "park to you drop" people, last trip Oct 2014 we only brought one stroller for our 3 year old - thinking our 6 year old would be just fine. Wrong! Halfway through the first day (EPCOT) we broke down and rented a park stroller for her. She did fine walking at AK and DHS but MK and EP were just too big.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter