Stripping . . . everyone's doin' it!

I recently paid $96 per BLT point that had 96 (100 point contract) banked points. I have bought 4 resale contracts over a 9 year period, and I would not even look at stripped contracts. IF you just keep looking, what you want will show up.

I recently paid $96 per BLT point that had 96 (100 point contract) banked points. I have bought 4 resale contracts over a 9 year period, and I would not even look at stripped contracts. IF you just keep looking, what you want will show up.

That's a great price for a smaller, loaded BLT contract- congrats!

Since you've been in the DVC market for so long, do you have any thoughts or advice on ROFR trends (if any)?

Bolding is mine. But what many have argued on this thread and others, is that there isn't enough of a premium put on a contract with current (or fully loaded) points that would benefit the sellers instead of transferring out the current points and selling the contract stripped. If you saw fully loaded contracts going for $15-$20 more per point or even contracts going for $10-$15 more per point than stripped deals, then you could say there were premiums put on those types of contracts. But there simply isn't in the current market.

Even a fully loaded contract can not demand $15-20 premium, you will be close to direct purchase price, also direct comes with extra benefit. Some resale are asking as much as direct with and without point, don't know who will take a bite.

Even a fully loaded contract can not demand $15-20 premium, you will be close to direct purchase price, also direct comes with extra benefit. Some resale are asking as much as direct with and without point, don't know who will take a bite.

The premium should be around $5/pp + buyer pays MF (approx. $5.50) so overall cost would be around $10.50 more pp than stripped. Can add a few dollars if buyer wants but not much more.

The premium should be around $5/pp + buyer pays MF (approx. $5.50) so overall cost would be around $10.50 more pp than stripped. Can add a few dollars if buyer wants but not much more.

But the point is that loaded contracts AREN'T selling for $10 more per point, so why shouldn't the sellers make that $10-$12 pp transfer before putting their contract on the market?

But the point is that loaded contracts AREN'T selling for $10 more per point, so why shouldn't the sellers make that $10-$12 pp transfer before putting their contract on the market?

That is correct. However, I was pointing out the value from a potential buyer's perspective not my recommendation of what a seller should do. Regardless, it is a sellers market right now- loaded contracts seem pretty limited.

I took a look @ the ROFR thread to see if there was an uptick in stripped contracts passing v. loaded contracts. I checked the AKV list - no ROFR exercised and of the 25 reported sales that passed ROFR only one 100 pt contract had no points available before 2014. There were a couple where I couldn't tell, but almost all had some 2013 points.
As a buyer I am looking for a contract that enables me to visit WDW when I intend to go, thus buying a stripped contract means I'll have to pay for lodging next trip rather than using those recently bought points, not to mention paying MF for a year w/ no benefits. Plus I'm buying what is, inevitably, a declining asset, so I doubt that I'd be interested in a contract w/ no points until 2014 (as I'm looking @ a fall use year.)

I took a look @ the ROFR thread to see if there was an uptick in stripped contracts passing v. loaded contracts. I checked the AKV list - no ROFR exercised and of the 25 reported sales that passed ROFR only one 100 pt contract had no points available before 2014. There were a couple where I couldn't tell, but almost all had some 2013 points.
As a buyer I am looking for a contract that enables me to visit WDW when I intend to go, thus buying a stripped contract means I'll have to pay for lodging next trip rather than using those recently bought points, not to mention paying MF for a year w/ no benefits. Plus I'm buying what is, inevitably, a declining asset, so I doubt that I'd be interested in a contract w/ no points until 2014 (as I'm looking @ a fall use year.)

AKV is probably not a representative resort, since nothing is being ROFR'd and there are several distressed contracts, so those owners cannot travel this year anyway, due to their financial hardship. If you look at the currently available contracts listed on the big 3 (or 4) websites, there are quite a few stripped contracts, which seems to be a new phenomenon.

I agree with you, if I were new to the game, I would want something with points that I could use NOW. But, I think that there are some current owners who are just looking for the right size contract to add to their portfolio and they may be willing to take something with the right number of points and right UY, even if they points were not available until 2014.

Personally, I would not buy something with no points until 2015, unless the seller discounted the contract significantly to make up for the 2014 dues, and it was exactly what I was looking for. If a contract has no 2013 points, then the buyer simply should not pay 2013 MF's. If there are no 2014 points, then a reasonable compensation needs to be provided by the buyer. Perhaps the buyer covers closing, or discounts the purchase price by the estimated MF's based on this year's MF's.

Pardon my naivete but if you sell a stripped contract what ensures that the reservation using those points isn't canceled?

Pardon my naivete but if you sell a stripped contract what ensures that the reservation using those points isn't canceled?

There won't be a future reservation the points will have either been already used (borrowed) or sold by transfer to another member. Any future reservations will have to be cancelled before closing sale.

I think I understand but to make sure - if I used points at Wilderness Lodge for a reservation in January 2013 at the Beach Club then I can't sell the Wilderness Lodge contract until February?

Some people sell before but list the contract with a note explaining that the sale can't close until after the trip. You cannot close a sale with an open reservation.

Some people sell before but list the contract with a note explaining that the sale can't close until after the trip. You cannot close a sale with an open reservation.
Thanks one last question - would it be possible to have them switch the reservation to use Beach Club points which we have available without using the one time exception I read about?

Thanks one last question - would it be possible to have them switch the reservation to use Beach Club points which we have available without using the one time exception I read about?

If the reservation was not made using home resort points, then they might let you change out the points. But if you made the reservation before seven months out using home resort points, you cannot just switch them at seven months out with non-home resort points. You would have to cancel and rebook. And maybe lose out to someone on the waitlist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter