• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stripes On Tour (Mar 2002) 1

S

SpottyDog

STRIPES ON TOUR 2002 - Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin....

WARNING !!!!!!!!! These ramblings you have wandered into are those of a sentimental, but argumentative, common fatlad reminiscin about his latest Florida bankruptcy petition. They are written purely to amuse the aforementioned fatlad and should in no way be construed as informative, amusing or even interesting. They are writ for a Durham lad that likes the sound of his own typewriter and for that he is grateful to WDWINFO.COM for givin him the opportunity to thrill himself with his wit and Durham Coalfield charm while borin the pants of all that continue from here……………..

Friday March 01 2002

Havin worked meself into a frenzy all yesterday so I could have the day at home, I hurried meself doin the things that are important before a three week Florida vacation – reading the boards (or tryin to, coz they’d blown up a few days before and we were experiencing ‘teethin problems’ on the new server) and conversin with Astrid, Jules and Squits by internet techy wizardry.

V was at work till Noon and I was supposed to be finishin off me paperwork ready for me Driver (best mate, Ian - Lamby was too stroppy last year) to pick up when he took us to Manchester later this afty. I was still finishin off me paperwork when Dear V returned home from work – Astrid’s fault in the main – and continued to finish said paperwork (returns, completed files and expenses claims) all afty leavin Dear V to pack for me – Ta, Pet.

Totally stressed as the hours drifted by faster than the paperwork was completed, I rang Ian to tell him I couldn’t possibly be ready to go on holiday at 4.30 as we’d arranged. Maybe he should come later coz I didn’t want to feel guilty about him sittin round waitin for me to finish me paperwork that seemed to be never endin .

So sure enough, I finished me paperwork by 4pm and had the luggage V had packed all by herself loaded into the car by 4.30 and sat getting stressed wonderin when Ian would come to get me holiday started. He came at 4.50 so we did all those things you leave till the last minute and finally left at 5.30 – well oiled machine and all that.

We’d booked into the Holiday Inn Garden Court at Manchester Airport for an overnight stay as we were flyin out at 9.20 next morning.

We got to the Airport at 7.30 and after only one wrong turn finally arrived at our billet at 7.40. If anyone is flyin from Manchester and needs an overnighter, we’d thoroughly recommend the Garden Court- very functional but clean, well appointed (in and out) and surprisingly quiet given the planes took off from the end of Gaz’s bed.

We bid Ian a fond farewell and warned him to be careful drivin my car and set off to explore the airport, which is less than a mile away.

We’d originally booked to fly from Newcastle (30 minutes from home) but the economics of LongHaul post Sep11th were that Airtours consolidated flights from several provincial airports and offered to fly us from Glasgow instead. Manchester is a better option for us, being ‘only’ 2 ½ hours drivin.

Gaz was ‘over the moon’ to switch flights coz, since he stopped bein scared of flyin, he loves airports and plane spottin and anything to do with them. This was an INTERNATIONAL airport and had loads of planes rather than the one or two you get at Newcastle. It was a major gateway to the World and as such would have shops and boutiques and be a dazzling array of flashin lights the likes of which a boy had never seen but had dreamt of ever since Mr Airtours changed the plans.

It was shut!

8 o clock and there was nowt open! One 24 hour cafeteria doin all day breakfasts that had been there all day and a viewin gallery where the view was YOU as it got dark and you looked at yer own reflection where the planes Gaz had waited so long to see used to be. But he was happy. He could make out the silhouette of several domestic and international planes making their preparations and was thrilled to watch the drivers go through their checks in the lit up drivers seats. More importantly Dad was happy coz the pub was open. So we sat while Gaz watched his heroes and Dad supped his Boddingtons. I found one of them Internet Booth thingies and posted a quick ‘hello UKDis, is this thing working?’ post but never found out if it did or not.

We wandered back to the hotel and were getting a little excited by now. All me stresses of the day had gone and there was more Boddingtons in the Hotel too.

Gaz watched footy on Sky while V settled down for the night, Julie played with her GameBoy and I filled in a tax form – as you do.

So, here we are on the end of me bed with our last Boddington’s of the night. V and Gaz are asleep. One of them is snoring but I won’t say which one coz she’ll hit uz. J’s watchin Buffet on Sky coz it’s her favourite episode, so we’ll sit up with her ‘till 12.30 so she can watch it. I find out in the morning EVERY Buffet epi(garden turf)e is her favourite – a ploy she uses to gain control of Sky at home apparently.

Still no matter, I wouldn’t sleep.

I’m too excited!!!!!

(Oh, it seems the US Server will allow us to say 'sode'- sorry America the garden truf gag will be lost on you then- never mind so will most of the rest anyway)

Hey! I'm the first to reply on the first of an infamous SD report, LOL.

Looking forward to the rest now :)

Penny :)

Excellent start to the trip report Dave.

Tam was giggling all the time she was reading it.

Boddingtons taken a hammering already. Start off the way you mean to go on that's what I always say!

Kev

Brilliant - more trip reports to look forward to!

Great start Dave!

Hi Spotty,
Glad you've started your reports, was in need of something to read,ands yours are usually ( how shall I put this) different!
Keep them coming , Bye for now.

Great start Dave

I too have been waiting with baited breath for the start of another epic trip report.

Keep up the good work !!!!!

Julie

LOL :D ........... thank you for setting up the morning for me with a good giggle :D

ShirleyBob

I always love it when a new set of reports starts - and yours are going to be longer than most, so that's even more to look forward to ;)

Dave,

Glad to hear I didnt stop you working then...:)

Looking forward to the next installment...;)

Oh Dave, these are just the best! I can't wait for the next epi ( garden turf )e. Fantastic. Carolyn

Great!!!

Spotty's Trip Reports are just what I need.

And 3 weeks worth too.

Keep em coming please.

Carol

Dave

Whoopee 3 weeks worth of trip reports......Great start:D

Yippee, been waiting for these since the last lot last year Dave!:D

Great start!

Sorry to hear they didn't open Manchester Airport for Gary's full enjoyment but glad he was kept happy anyway! And, most importantly, the pub was open for you!

I shan't even rise to the comment that it was my fault you were running late on the Friday - that was just an excuse to get poor Valerie to do all your packing!! :)

Astrid x

Yippee just noticed these so i have printed your reports for some exciting reading tonight!!!

Eda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter