Strike Possible at WDW?

Tick-Tock

Earning My Ears
According to the Associated Press, the leader of the largest union group at WDW is demanding a best offer from Disney on 6/13, with a vote on whatever is on the table on 6/14. Apparently this involves just under half of WDW employees, including the CMs that wear the costumes, hotel staff, animal keepers, bus drivers, etc.

This sounds ominous for any of us traveling soon -- does anybody out there have more info. on this -- is a strike likely??? if so, when???

You have got to be kidding!

What else can go wrong in June!?!?! Of course that will happen then, because we too arrive on the 15th!LOL!

Enjoy your trip, we will!!:)

What? What do you mean by "cast members who wear the costumes?" SURELY you don't mean Mickey and Minnie and Pooh and.....(sniff sniff) Tell me it isn't so!!!

ohiominnie :p

Oh yes, Disney and their unions again. Years ago they were in negotiations after threatening a strike while we were there. We saw it all on TV in the hotel room. I tell you honestly, guests did not even notice a thing!

Why do I get the feeling that perhaps Disney has plenty of applicants waiting to be called?

Wanda

Why am I seeing so many negative posts.

Everyone needs to relax. 99% of the bad things don't happen.

First it was the fires, then the hours, then the heat in AK, now the a possible strike.

This huge and great site is here because Disney is such a cool place to vacation!

Disney is known for its fun!!!!!!! Do you really think it is going to stop in June 2001???????

Sorry - I will shut up now.

I am leaving in 3 days and want only good thoughts!

I don't know anything about a strike, but I did see a news report last week about them possibly laying off 1200 employees.

Rosey

I myself appreciate any and all information. It helps to prevent the unexpected.

For example, if the change wasn't posted about the Villans Dinner, we would have been greeted by Pooh on the 15th. Now I was able to make alternate plan, same holds true about the shorter hours.

Being kept informed about the fires is VERY important to people with health concerns,ie.asthma.

The DIS is a place for information about anything "Disney related". Be it good or bad. My friend and I were just talking about this very topic.

If you cannot express your disappointment over things pertaining to your Disney vacation, where else can you? Everyone else in the "real world" will think you are nuts! Which we are!LOL! as Dixieamos so WONDERFULLY points out.

Everyone enjoy your trips! We will!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

You forgot the tropical depression headed toward TX/Gulf! Well it looks like I am going in an interesting time as well. If it it anything like here (union contract talks) the CM's will be distracted because they will worry about their contract, and I don't blame them!

But a Strike is impossible IMHO. WDW would negotiate a fair contract with them, I would hope. What union is that? I will have to find out.

Strike or No Strike we are there today!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Hopefully everything will work out and these guys will get what they are due. I can't imagine having to deal with the masses while dressed in one of those costumes especially in the Florida heat over the summer period, IMHO they should pay them mega $$$$ . Anyway we leave to come home on the 13th so maybe we won't be affected at all by the possible strike.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I can't say how I feel about negative posts, but it does seem like we June travelers are getting hit with one thing after another! I have just relaxed about the fires and now, as a naturally paranoid person, I can worry about this too. I hope everything goes well and I'm am sure we will have tons of fun regardless.
Robin M.

This would be more appropriate on our Disney News and Rumors Board.

Great!!

Fires, strikes, shorter hours, the heat at AK, and a tropical storm!!

All of these reasons are good examples of why we NEED trip insurance...

Best investment when planning a pricey vacay...

:cool:

The characters ARE real! Those horrible rumors about cast members in costumes are not true!:cool:

It sounds like Disney has given some concessions which might make this less frightening to those of us going in June (we leave on the 16th also).

Hope for the best.

see below from AP

JUNE 07, 13:49 EST

Disney Workers Get Clean Underwear

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — After almost two months at the negotiating table, the workers who play characters such as Mickey Mouse and Cinderella at Walt Disney World have won an important concession: clean undergarments.

Under a tentative contract between Disney and the Teamsters union, the workers will be assigned individual undergarments, which they can take home each night to clean themselves instead of relying on Disney launderers.

Some workers had complained about getting pubic lice and scabies.

``Things have been passed around,'' said Gary Steverson, a stilt walker at Animal Kingdom. ``I know I don't want to share my tights and I don't want to share my underwear.''

Many of the characters have to wear Disney-issued jock straps, tights or bike shorts underneath their costumes because regular underwear bunches up and is noticeable. Each night, they turn in the undergarments with the rest of their costume before going home. They then pick up a different set the next day.

Disney officials had told the workers that they use hot water to clean the undergarments, but they apparently weren't doing so, said Steverson, a shop steward with the Teamsters, which represents workers who portray such figures as Goofy, Pluto, Minnie Mouse and Donald Duck.

Some workers complained about receiving undergarments that were stained or smelly. Stevenson said there have been three cases of costumed workers at the Magic Kingdom getting pubic lice or scabies during the past two years.

Disney spokeswoman Rena Callahan refused to comment on the new contract provisions because ``we don't conduct our negotiations with the media, only at the negotiating table.''

Other concessions the costumed characters won include more time to put on their costumes and a weather clause that includes air pollution as a factor in determining how long costumed characters have to be outside.

Recently, smoke from a nearby brush fire has irritated singers' vocal cords and made it difficult for stilt walkers to breathe, employees said.

``People are feeling nauseous, they have itchy eyes, are dizzy and have headaches,'' said Calon Webb, a union shop steward at Animal Kingdom.

The costumed characters and other Disney workers will vote on the new contract next week.

The Teamsters and five other unions represent about 25,000 of Disney World's 55,000 workers.

why not . would any of us feel differently if we were in there shoes ( or underwear)..........good for them !

the contract currently being negotiated currently has a no strike clause, the removal/revision of which is likely to be one of the union's demands during this round of bargaining, but it's unlikely it will be changed.

Disney has one of the best deals going for a number of reasons.

- FL is a right-to-work state and as such the courts have little sympathy/tolerance for strikes.
- Low union membership among the current cast members. The union doesn't have a good reputation and Disney standards are such that they are NOT going to buckle to any 3rd party pressur.
- They have a contract that in reality doesn't cost Disney any more than they would be paying in labor costs without one. It amazes me that the cast members are as happy, upbeat, and guest-friendly as they are given the low wages that Disney is known to pay. IMHO it's all due to the people that Disney hires, they must really WANT to be there, and not for the pay or benefits, which are average, at best.

Just my two cents.

Thank you plutospup for clearing that up!! Had me worried!!!

ohiominnie :p

We have always had a no strike clause in our contract. There will be no slow downs at all. Nothing will affect Guests or services. Please..Stop worrying. Our union is negotiating, and we can wash our own undies now. TeeHee...Anyway, it will work out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter