• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Stretching credits, sharing, and split checks... on DDP

Travis B

DIS Veteran
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forums and this is my first post, so I beg your pardon for any breach of etiquette, or if this has been covered before. I've found a bit of information, but want to be clear as my plans will depend on the answers I receive.

My partner and I will be heading to WDW in 40 days or so and I have been excitedly making (and canceling, and re-making) ADRs. We both enjoy dining out, and I have booked several restaurants which are 2-credits on the dining plan - specifically California Grill, Le Cellier, and Hollywood Brown Derby. Obviously this is eating up our credits fairly quickly.

I'm curious as to whether we would be allowed to order some food on the dining plan, and some OOP, and then share. An example: I order my drink, an entree, and dessert, and use my two credits. My partner would order a drink and a couple apps, or a smaller entree, sushi rolls, etc, and then pay OOP. We would share everything, eat how we like to, use our credits more efficiently, and get to visit -more- restaurants. ;)

Has anyone successfully done anything like this? Any strategies you can offer me? Is this generally acceptable behavior, especially in 'signature' restaurants?

:welcome:

Almost all of the restaurants will let you share so you'll be fine doing what you planned. One person can use his credits and share with a second person as long as both are on the dining plan. The second person can order a beverage and an app or side dish if it looks like it's not enough food. As you said, it is a great way to stretch credits to try even more restaurants.

You can also have one person use dining credits and the other person who isn't too hungry and wants to have just a little something pay out of pocket. Just let the server know and you will receive 2 bills - one for the dining plan and one for the OOP items.

The only TS restaurant that has strict rules when using the dining plan is Via Napoli. You cannot use one credit to feed 2 people there. If you want pizza, only the individual size can be ordered when using credits and 2 or more adults cannot pool their credits to order the larger sizes of pizza. Occasionally someone will post that another restaurant or server would also not allow it, so it is best to ask when your server first greets you.

You cannot share and everyone will be charged a credit (or OOP) at buffets, all you care to eat family style venues, the dinner shows (Hoop De Doo, Spirit of Aloha luau, Mickey's Backyard Barbecue), fixed price venues (e.g. CRT, Akershus), Fantasmic and Candlelight Processional Dining Packages, and the Family Platter at Whispering Canyon Cafe

I didn't know we could do this!! So many times we go to a sit down menu meal and there is far too much food for DH, DD7 and I.
:welcome:

Almost all of the restaurants will let you share so you'll be fine doing what you planned. One person can use his credits and share with a second person as long as both are on the dining plan. The second person can order a beverage and an app or side dish if it looks like it's not enough food. As you said, it is a great way to stretch credits to try even more restaurants.

You can also have one person use dining credits and the other person who isn't too hungry and wants to have just a little something pay out of pocket. Just let the server know and you will receive 2 bills - one for the dining plan and one for the OOP items.

The only TS restaurant that has strict rules when using the dining plan is Via Napoli. You cannot use one credit to feed 2 people there. If you want pizza, only the individual size can be ordered when using credits and 2 or more adults cannot pool their credits to order the larger sizes of pizza. Occasionally someone will post that another restaurant or server would also not allow it, so it is best to ask when your server first greets you.

You cannot share and everyone will be charged a credit (or OOP) at buffets, all you care to eat family style venues, the dinner shows (Hoop De Doo, Spirit of Aloha luau, Mickey's Backyard Barbecue), fixed price venues (e.g. CRT, Akershus), Fantasmic and Candlelight Processional Dining Packages, and the Family Platter at Whispering Canyon Cafe

Are there any menu TS restaurants you have done this at? I guess I always thought that the credit was associated with the reservation itself. 3 people 3 credits sort of thing

You can share at any restaurant that is not a buffet, AYCE family style, a fixed price or a dinner show. It is also not permitted to use one credit to feed multiple guests at Via Napoli - everyone must use a credit there.

DH and I share meals quite a bit of the time. Sometimes I am the hungry one and other times it's him. Then we have more credits to be used for an occasional breakfast or such. Works out really well for us.

WOW! I had no idea that you could do this! And we have used the dining plan many times! I learn something new overtime I get on these boards!

Sharing or splitting is OK to do on DDP, with exceptions listed above, and one more thing: The people sharing from one plate have be on the DDP, too. Can't be done if the one ordering a DDP meal shares with another who is NOT on DDP. That is strictly against the rules. Your server will ask for each person's DDP status.

I didn't know we could do this!! So many times we go to a sit down menu meal and there is far too much food for DH, DD7 and I.

Are there any menu TS restaurants you have done this at? I guess I always thought that the credit was associated with the reservation itself. 3 people 3 credits sort of thing

My family shared meals without any problems at 50's Prime Time, Rose & Crown & Kona Cafe. We did a combo of dining plan & paying out of pocket at Via Napoli. DH & I used credits for our meals then we paid OOP for a large pizza for my 3 boys to split.

Glad to read this, I eat small amounts and dh and I share meals on a regular basis anyway. It's helpful to know we can do things like this if we want.

We do this all the time, Infact we've upgraded our twins and older son, the last 4 trips to the adult plan for free dining, they always share and that gives extra credits for more meals, at signature we paid oop for a kids meal for them.
Works out amazing and we all get two sit down a day plus a good few signature meals

Ok, so what if my parents have deluxe ddp and we hsve regular. Can they use two credits to order for me since I am also on a dining plan?

Wow. This is great information! Thanks Travis B for originally asking this question and thanks to purple figment for the information. I cannot tell you how many times my youngest has left so much food on his plate and I've walked away thinking.....it's too bad he and I couldn't have shared. I'm totally going to re-evaluate our use of the DDP. :thumbsup2

can we split a plate at cinderella royal table and use only 2 credit instead of 4?

can we split a plate at cinderella royal table and use only 2 credit instead of 4?
No. Cinderella's Royal Table is a set price person and is among the meals/venues where everyone 3 years and older must pay. You are also paying for the experience of meeting the princesses and not just for the food.

You cannot share and everyone will be charged credits at buffets, all you care to eat family style restaurants, fixed price meals (e.g. Cinderella's Royal table, Akershus), dinner shows (Hoop De Doo, Spirit of Aloha Luau, Micky's Backyard Barbecue), the Candlelight Processional and Fantantasmic Dining Packages, special events (e.g. fireworks dessert party) and the Family Platter at Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Last edited:
The other place we had trouble sharing a credit was T-Rex.

For Whispering Canyon Cafe what we did was order a platter each for the kids and then DH and I shared a steak dinner (which is not all you can eat, so was ok to share).

We did always tip as if all 4 of us ordered :)

I have a full dining review on our experiences sharing back in 2012 (also in my signature). Worked out fantastic to stretch our credits - our breakfasts were also fully covered by the DDP this way. It's an old review now but I haven't heard of many recent changes when it comes to sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter