• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stressing Out About Strollers

lmc04

Earning My Ears
Headed to WDW this coming weekend for our first family trip. We are bringing twin DD4.5 and I am trying to decide my stroller plan of action:

My girls have not used a stroller for eons but I still think it's a good idea to have one to avoid any meltdowns because they are tired. So I am trying to decide between:

1. Buying 2 cheap umbrella strollers from Target or WM when we arrive (we are renting a car)
2. Renting a double stroller (we used to have a CityMini so that would work for us).

Umbrella Strollers - PROS
- cheap
- small and will easily fit in our rental car (which is a compact size, so Ford Focus or similar)

My cons with buying umbrellas:
- availability
- comfort factor

Renting a Stroller - PROS
- comfy stroller
- they deliver so no stress over whether we can get one or not

My cons with renting:
- price - probably about $30 more to rent than it would be to buy
- big even when folded...will it fit in my rental?
- do we need a big stroller - not sure I want to be walking around with one all day when we may not even need it

Any thoughts? I have read before that you can park your stroller at one attraction, then walk around that land and then go back and get the stroller when you are going to move on to a different land - has anyone tried this tactic? I am struggling with how much my kids are actually going to use a stroller, but I can't bring myself to NOT get one...

TIA!!

I haven't rented a stroller before but I would think that would be your easiest option. What will you do with the strollers after you buy them? Take them back home with you? If I were flying I think if go with the rental. That way you're not lugging strollers back home that you don't seem to have a use for. We drive so we just pack ours.

As far as needing one it amazes me how worn out my littlest guys get when we're there. At home My 7 year old is a busy body but wipes out most nights were at WDW. Now that has a lot to do with the schedule we keep while we're there. We just don't take much down time but are going to try and take it a little easier out next trip. If you only plan on spending short hours in the park with breaks in between you could possibly get by without one but its hard to know.

And yes, you can leave your stroller parked in a designated stroller parking area while you walk to other rides around.

Have you pushed a cheap umbrella stroller before? We picked one up while in Chicago a few years ago and it killed my back. We will be renting while in Disney next week. Think the cost is $50 for a 3 day double at Kingdom Strollers.

My 5.5 DD does not use a stroller but after half a day at AK, when she was 4.5, she started asking for her stroller. Our next trip will be our third trip with the stroller and we don't use it any other time. My stroller is not a cheap stroller but has paid for itself with 3 trips to WDW. I have flown and driven. When we flew she was 4.5 so I just put her in the stroller to walk-thru the airport and gate checked it.

We rented a double stroller for our two kids a couple years ago when DS was 4 and DD was 2. We loved being able to store stuff in it and having a drink carrier. The best part was while the kids napped, DH and I took turns going on the rides the kids weren't tall enough or brave enough to go on.

We leave on Friday to go back to WDW and we are renting a double stroller again.

Rent the city mini dbl. You will not regret it. The 2-3 minutes of hassle getting in and out of the car or busses is well worth it in the parks and around the resorts. We went last year with 5 & 2 yr olds and my wife and I both agreed it was by far the best money we spent all week(and she was initially against, wanted to rent disney strollers.) Disney strollers are terrible, hard plastic, very expensive and you can't take them out of the parks.

I rented a citymini from magic strollers and highly recommend it. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of it but it is something to keep in mind when renting the car. It will take up a decent amount of space in the trunk. We are driving this time with 2 umbrella strollers (for non-disney stops) and already reserved a citymini double from the same company. If we bought our BOB double from home there would be no room for luggage in our Rogue.

Yes, you can park your stroller for hours but cast members shuffle them around. Then you get to play in the Sea of Strollers (your rented stroller will blend in.) Tag it with a balloon or a brightly colored sign and you should easily find it.

Thanks for the advice! We will have a small rental car but won't need to carry anything else with us to the parks but the stroller, so it can take up the entire trunk if need be....just have to make sure it will fit IN a trunk!!

Kingdom strollers is awesome! I always recommend them. Their double stroller feels like a Cadillac! But it is big and can be rather cumbersome to get in and off parking trams, monorails and busses.

I vote renting the double. I took my 5.5 yo twins last month, and like you, we haven't used a stroller in years but NEEDED it in Disney.

I used Orlando Stroller,they were awesome. I bet if you email them to ask whether the city Mini would fit inside the trunk of a Ford Focus they will be able to answer. Alternatively you can google Ford and get the trunk dimensions and ask Orlando Stroller if the city mini will be small enough.

The con of the umbrella stroller is the lack of a sun shade, important even in the winter as far as minimizing the sun and wrinkle time on those littles. I figure if they ruin their own skin in their teens and 20's, at least I gave them gorgeous skin in their youth.

The other con is if you and your partner want to separate and have one parent take both kids. A double stroller makes this easy, 2 single strollers make this a little trickier You can buy things to connect the 2 umbrella strollers, but that's more money, and they are not easy to manuever.

We rented a double for our last 2 trips from Magic strollers and Kingdom strollers. They were great! We're planning a trip for this spring and we'll rent a single because the other 2 I think we'll be fine. We'll just rent for the baby even though I still wear him in a carrier, it'll be convenient too in case the older 2 need a break. So do what you think is best. It's a lot of walking and standing in lines!

We have rented a city mini from Magic Strollers and loved it! DD was 3 at the time and it worked out great. It was waiting for us at our resort when we arrived and we dropped it off at guest services when we left. EASY PEASY!

This year, we're not taking or renting a stroller. DD is 6, DS is 3. Neither of them really ride in the one we have at home, BUT we will rent one in the parks if we need to. That way no hauling back and forth between the parks and our resort. We know it will cost more to rent at the park, but we may not even need one. So we're winging it! I feel very rebelious!!!:lmao: But in all honesty, I will miss the storage of my trusty stroller. Cup holders, clips for bags, basket underneath (something to hold my tired body up).........ahhh, memories.

Honestly, I would rent one at the parks. A double. It has always worked well for us (the last vacation was the first where no stroller was needed). It's big enough to carry 2 kids, plus room for your stuff on it. No need to lug it around outside the parks. No folding it for busses, car, etc.

We brought our own stroller the first few trips with kids and quickly learned it's no where near as easy as renting one there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter