• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stressd Out about Smoke !!!

vfb2girls said:
I also will make sure my husband is considerate of where his smoke goes, and yes he will be smoking on the verandah so once again I apologize to our neighbors. I so understand the issue with smoking since I have never smoked and my husband does, and it would be such a great thing if he would quit but as I have stated before I refused to nag him about it, it is something that he has to do on his own. But sometimes it saddens me when people carry on like smokers are the scum of the earth! My husband is the nicest guy around, a good provider, a great dad and the best grandfather, but he has this disgusting habit that only he can decide to do away with. So please don't judge all smokers as inconsiderate people.

I agree, it's as if smokers are lepers or something. As a former smoker, I was always considerate of the people around me, and would go to a designated smoking area, didnt leave butts on the ground etc. I have yet to see those that think a cruise is one big drinkfest be chastised or criticized nearly as much as those that smoke, and yet I have found people who have drank way too much to be much harder to tolerate than someone who smokes.(unless you have a big drinker who also smokes, and then I have to say it is the booze that makes them surly, not smoking)
I look at it like as long as everyone follows the rules, ie, designated smoking areas, no smoking in the cabins, then smokers who paid just as much for their cruise as non smokers should be free to enjoy the cruising lifestyle as well. my mother has smoked most of her life and is one of the kindest people i know; she shouldn't be judged as a smoker or non-smoker, but as a good person. my friends who still smoke are extremely polite as well. of course, there is one in every crowd who pushes the limits whether its smoking or drinking or just being obnoxious, but i wouldnt be near them because of their obnoxious behavior, not because they smoke. i hope this makes sense; im not trying to offend

We just got back from a 7 day last month and I really had to search my brain to remember if I saw any smokers. I think I did on deck 4 a couple of times, but they were really far down on the end keeping to themselves. I might have seen some at the adult pool, but I really didn't spend a lot of time there so I don't remember. The bars were fine(didn't go to Cadillac lounge) and I don't remember any on the beach.

vfb2girls said:
I also will make sure my husband is considerate of where his smoke goes, and yes he will be smoking on the verandah so once again I apologize to our neighbors. I so understand the issue with smoking since I have never smoked and my husband does, and it would be such a great thing if he would quit but as I have stated before I refused to nag him about it, it is something that he has to do on his own. But sometimes it saddens me when people carry on like smokers are the scum of the earth! My husband is the nicest guy around, a good provider, a great dad and the best grandfather, but he has this disgusting habit that only he can decide to do away with. So please don't judge all smokers as inconsiderate people.

I'm a non smoker, but the majority of smokers I know are kind and considerate when it comes to their habit. I live in Minnesota and everyone lights up outside - even in January.

Now I know a lot of non-smokers who go on the offensive when it comes to smoking, and it doesn't surprise me with smokers tell them to go jump in the lake.

I suggest that if the person on the veranda next to you is a smoker, you take some time to talk to them. Don't start with the assumption that they don't have a right to use their own veranda. Just say "I'm one of those people who can't stand cigarette smoke, will you be smoking for long?" You may be surprised and be able to figure out a "schedule" that doesn't inconvience either of you. i.e. knowing that they plan to have a cigarette before their dinner seating, when you are going to be getting dressed anyway. Or knowing that they intend to have coffee and a cigarette when getting up, but you are earlier risers and can plan your coffee before they get up.

breathe in, breathe out.... you will be fine. There are smokers in the world and they will not search you out and sit next to you. Yes, there will be smoking in the clubs later at night and some places on deck. For the most part, they will be very considerate of others and not purposely blow it at you. I think you will be fine. We didn't notice much smoke at all on our cruise, but yet you can smoke on the verandah and if you are at sea it will blow away rather quickly. Go and enjoy and have a great cruise.

I'll have to say I've found MOST smokers to be very considerate while crusing. In both of our disney crusies I haven't ran into any issues with tons of people sitting in loungers by the pools or spread ALL over the ship...or even at the beaches at CC. From what I saw most would get up and venture away from crowded areas..... Also...you have to keep in mind you'll be on a moving ship...and the smoke for the most part isn't going to hang onto the ship (the area by the cove cafe is an exception...because it's more inclosed). The ship itself is moving fast and the "smoke" will be blown away fairly quickly.

As for the verhandas....there's not alot you can do about having a neighbor who smokes...but talking to them and trying to figure out a schedule would be a place to start...We had a verhanda this last time and had a smoker next to us....actually they were in our traveling group...so we knew them..anyway we didn't have a whole lot of trouble with the odor of her smoking outside...UNLESS our adjoining stateroom door was open....then it just tunnneled right in. We were also informed that no matter what you shouldn't keep your door to your verhanda opened....becaues it messes with the room temp...the moisture and what not will cause the thermostate to shut off....then you'll have to have maintance up to restart it....

On our first cruise...I did notice TONS of smoke in the night clubs...but with the new non-smoking night clubs....there was no problem at all.

Believe me before we cruise I was VERY worried about the whole smoking issue...but soon realized it's not bad at all. And like I mentioned before MOST smokers are considerate of others. ::yes::

5 DCL cruises and I have yet to be bothered by the smoke. I hate the smell as do most non-smokers, but I don't recall a point that I even noticed it. I certainly don't remember ever coming back from the clubs w/ smoky smelling clothes or hair. Go, and have a ball.

my husband was a FULL time smoker and is very careful about others around him. I finally got him to quit! I told him I was taking a cruise and he couldn't go if he smoked. I fibbed and told him it was Disney and of course there was no smoking on board. I know 'bad me' but good for him, 50 days and no smoking!

It really is easy to avoid the smoke. Don't use the forward elevator or stairs to go up to deck 9 for Topsiders because you will have to walk past the Cove Cave area & both pool areas. Some people say that the smoke is blown away but I have to hold my breath if we go thru that area because I can smell it.

Mainestreetpixie said:
I agree, it's as if smokers are lepers or something. As a former smoker, I was always considerate of the people around me, and would go to a designated smoking area, didnt leave butts on the ground etc. I have yet to see those that think a cruise is one big drinkfest be chastised or criticized nearly as much as those that smoke, and yet I have found people who have drank way too much to be much harder to tolerate than someone who smokes.(unless you have a big drinker who also smokes, and then I have to say it is the booze that makes them surly, not smoking)
I look at it like as long as everyone follows the rules, ie, designated smoking areas, no smoking in the cabins, then smokers who paid just as much for their cruise as non smokers should be free to enjoy the cruising lifestyle as well. my mother has smoked most of her life and is one of the kindest people i know; she shouldn't be judged as a smoker or non-smoker, but as a good person. my friends who still smoke are extremely polite as well. of course, there is one in every crowd who pushes the limits whether its smoking or drinking or just being obnoxious, but i wouldnt be near them because of their obnoxious behavior, not because they smoke. i hope this makes sense; im not trying to offend
Well said. ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

Unfortunately, the by product of this habit is more than an annoying smell that makes you gasp or cough, for others it physically harms them. Whether the result is a just a headache or a full blown asthma attack doesn't really matter. Even in small doses, smoke has the power to hurt people. Anyone that has medical issues inflamed by smoke has to avoid smokers as if they are lepers for their own self preservation.

Yes, but a non-smokers medical issues are not a smokers problem. There are plenty of non-smoking locations on the ship for someone with medical issues regarding smoke to hang out - and its a persons responsibility to take care of their own health. If the non-smoking areas are too restrictive for someone with smoke related medical issues, perhaps a cruise is not the best choice for their vacation dollars. It isn't like the information about what areas are smoking isn't available all over the place.

crisi said:
a non-smokers medical issues are not a smokers problem.
Sorry, I have to disagree. Involuntary inhalation of secondhand smoke is a problem for non-smokers. It is carcinogenic, and a cruise ship is no different than any other public space (though I have to agree with others that on DCL we have not found it to be too big of a problem).

From the American Cancer Society:

Secondhand Smoke

What Is It?
Secondhand smoke, also known as environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) or passive smoke, is a mixture of two forms of smoke from burning tobacco products:

Sidestream smoke: smoke that comes from a lighted cigarette, pipe, or cigar
Mainstream smoke: smoke that is exhaled by a smoker

When nonsmokers are exposed to secondhand smoke it is called involuntary smoking or passive smoking. Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke absorb nicotine and other compounds just as smokers do. The greater the exposure to secondhand smoke, the greater the level of these harmful compounds in your body.
Why Is It a Problem?

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has classified secondhand smoke as a Group A carcinogen, which means that there is sufficient evidence that it causes cancer in humans. Environmental tobacco smoke has also been classified as a "known human carcinogen" by the US National Toxicology Program.

Secondhand tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemical compounds. More than 60 of these are known or suspected to cause cancer.

Secondhand smoke can be harmful in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:

An estimated 35,000 to 40,000 deaths from heart disease in people who are not current smokers
About 3,000 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults
Other respiratory problems in nonsmokers, including coughing, phlegm, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
150,000 to 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations
Increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 200,000 to 1 million asthmatic children
The 1986 US Surgeon General's report on the health consequences of involuntary smoking reached 3 important conclusions about secondhand smoke:

Involuntary smoking causes disease, including lung cancer, in healthy nonsmokers.
When compared with the children of nonsmoking parents, children of parents who smoke have more frequent respiratory infections, more respiratory symptoms, and slower development of lung function as the lung matures.
Separating smokers and nonsmokers within the same air space may reduce, but does not eliminate, the exposure of nonsmokers to secondhand smoke.
Where Is It a Problem?

There are 3 locations where you should be especially concerned about exposure to secondhand smoke:

Your workplace: Secondhand smoke meets the criteria to be classified as a potential cancer-causing agent by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the federal agency responsible for health and safety regulations in the workplace. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), another federal agency, also recommends that secondhand smoke be considered a potential occupational carcinogen. Because there are no known safe levels, they recommend that exposures to secondhand smoke be reduced to the lowest possible levels.

Aside from protecting nonsmokers, workplace smoking restrictions may also encourage smokers who wish to quit or reduce their consumption of tobacco products.

Public places: Everyone is vulnerable to secondhand smoke exposure in public places, such as restaurants, shopping centers, public transportation, schools and daycare centers. Although some businesses are reluctant to ban smoking, there is no credible evidence that going smoke-free is bad for business. Public places where children go are a special area of concern.

Your home: Making your home smoke-free is perhaps one of the most important things you can do. Any family member can develop health problems related to secondhand smoke. Think about it: we spend more time at home than anywhere else. A smoke-free home protects your family, your guests, and even your pets.

Smoking Odors

There is no research in the medical literature about the cancer-causing effects of cigarette odors, but the literature shows that secondhand tobacco smoke can permeate the hair, clothing, and other surfaces. The unknown cancer causing effects would be minimal in comparison to direct secondhand smoke exposure, such as living in a household that has a smoker.

What Can Be Done About It?

Local, state, and federal authorities can enact public policies to protect people from secondhand smoke and to protect children from tobacco-caused diseases and addiction. Because there are no safe levels of secondhand smoke, it is important that any such policies be as strong as possible, and that they do not prevent action at other levels of government.

To learn how you can become involved in reducing exposure to secondhand smoke, contact your American Cancer Society at 1-800-ACS-2345.

Yes, but a non-smokers medical issues are not a smokers problem.

That has to be one of the most insensitive things I've read here. No it's not their problem... But if I had a habit that caused physical harm to others (not to mentioning great annoyance to many), you'd better believe I would do everything in my power to prevent that, (I'm thinking not smoking in any indoor areas and away from gatherings of people (especially children) in outdoor areas would be a good start). And I find it sad that SOME smokers don't have the same respect for me and my family.

That said we did see alot of smoking on the Wonder, but it wasn't overly bothersome (coming from someone who gets sereve headaches around smoke). I found it mostly on deck 9. We avoided the goofy pool because of it, and didn't enjoy walking around the deck as much as we would have without it. Indoors at night we didn't see as many smokers though we did have to switch seats a time or two when a smoker sat down by us. And while I would have preferred their to be no smoke, we didn't let it detract from our wonderful cruise experience.

I would love a non-smoking Disney Cruise though. The Grand Californian is a non smoking resort so Disney is at least somewhat open to that.

Pea-n-Me said:
Sorry, I have to disagree. Involuntary inhalation of secondhand smoke is a problem for non-smokers. It is carcinogenic, and a cruise ship is no different than any other public space (though I have to agree with others that on DCL we have not found it to be too big of a problem).

From the American Cancer Society:
I wonder how all of us who were born in the 1940's and 1950's ever managed to live. We spent our childhoods with smokers everywhere...in cars with windows up, at grocery stores, movie theaters, bowling alleys, school classrooms, in our homes sitting right next to our parents watching TV.

I am skeptical of the data gathered for these statistics. Example: I work at a VA Hospital in the Executive Office. I received a letter from a highly irrate family of a deceased veteran as the doctor has indicated on his death cert. that the death was SMOKING RELATED. This gentleman was LDS, had never smoked or been around smokers. The young doctor who filled out the death cert. ASSumed it was smoking related simply because he was a WWII veteran. How scientific is that?? 90 years old and died of heart disease. It was recorded for the above cited data as a smoking related death though.

Note: I am a nonsmoker but believe in honesty.

Apologize to others for being OT, but had to respond:

MrsMork, I'm wondering if you see the irony in your post? You wonder "how you all lived" but in fact many older Americans suffer smoking related diseases because of their years of either smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke. To say that as a WWll veteran he was "never exposed to smoke" is ludicrous, since you yourself accurately described the conditions of society at that time. Unfiltered smoke was everywhere mid-century - including in homes, workplaces, public places, even foxholes (where cigarettes were included in C Rations) - and it was considered not only acceptable, but even chic to smoke. My elderly mother struggles with the effects of smoking to this day, and my father, also a WWll veteran who didn't make it past his 60's, could accurately be described as dying from "smoking related illness" as well, in fact. (Doctors who see this phenomenon every day know a thing or two about it ;) ).

Are the numbers on the ACS website completly accurate? :confused3 Who knows, but my guess would be that they're pretty close (they could in fact, be higher). But you can check with any number of reputable organizations including the American Heart Association, the Centers for Disease Control, the Environmental Protection Agency, etc and you will see the same information which comes from decades of data. The bottom line is that the link between cigarette smoke and disease has been clearly established. We are lucky to know about it, our elders were not.

I don't usually get into smoking issues, but I can't help it this time.

We did have a problem with smokers on the ship.
Yes, they did it outside on the deck, but we certainly were affected by it and moved because of it.

I hope Disney is reading--

"Make smoking allowed on EITHER port or starboard"

I don't care which, I just want to be able to sit on deck 4 and not have to keep moving because of cigarette smoke!

Edited to add that I don't think the stuff will kill me, just can't stand the stench!

I just got back from the Wonder and I hardly noticed smoke at all. I sat outdoors at the Cove Cafe. No one smoke there.
Smoking was not allowed at mealtimes.
No one ever smoked outside nearby bc I never smelled it from my verandah.
I only saw one person smoking at the bar near the adult pool the entire time. And I spent a lot of time in/near the adult pool.
Castaway Cay, no one near me at Serenity Bay smoked, though someone did smoke in line for the tram to Serenity Bay. We just walked in the opposite direction once we got there.
Two men did smoke cigars on Deck 10. We had been laying in the sun for about 2 hours at that point though, so once we smelled it, we slowly packed our stuff up and moved elsewhere. As stinky as it was, I'm glad of it bc the stench woke me up. We'd both fallen asleep in the sun.
I don't know if we were lucky, but we really didn't notice too much smoke.

I think smokers would be completely agreeable to only smoking on one side of the ship. BUT...what if that side of the ship happens to be the "best" side??
You know, the one that all the non-smokers would want to be on, because they can see the port better??
Or what would that do to the jogging track? Which, by the way...it has always seemed stupid to me to allow smoking on the same deck/track as the jogging.
Point is.....someone is ALWAYS going to smell smoke somewhere. Someone is always going to complain about it.
The only few reasonable things that would help would be:
1. Smokers trying harder to be considerate....but still remain within their rights. And, yes...hard as it is to swallow...smokers HAVE rights.
2. Crew members doing a better job of enforcing the non-smoking areas.
3. Better ventilation and more clearly designated smoking sections in the clubs. If you had to move because someone sat next to you and smoked...then the signs weren't clear enough for SOMEONE....either you sat in a smoking section, or a smoker smoked in a non-smoking section.
4. Crew cleaning the clubs better.....carpets every night, curtains...yes, even the walls.

Here's where I'm going to get defensive.....so don't read it, if you don't want to hear it.

No one is going to die on a cruise because they got a whiff of secondhand smoke. Maybe....if we locked you in a closet, with 5 smokers, for a few years....you MIGHT end up getting cancer....maybe not.
Asthma attack? Maybe. Depends on how severe the asthma is. But there are TONS of asthma triggers other than smoking, and all the people I know who have asthma carry an inhaler for that. They don't insist on digging up all the grass and flowers in the park.

An dear heavens.....PLEASE....don't any of you ever cruise on another line than Disney. The others I've been on have twice the number of smokers, and half the amount of non-smoking areas, and half the enforcement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter