• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

straw mkt.

my2kids

Mouseketeer
we are going on our 2nd 3nt in may- is it worth dragging the kids off the ship into the straw market in nassau or just stay on the boat? Anything not worth missing at the market?

we are going on our 2nd 3nt in may- is it worth dragging the kids off the ship into the straw market in nassau or just stay on the boat? Anything not worth missing at the market?

My Daughter HATES going to the straw market,I stay on the boat with her while Mom drops $$ on senseless junk at the market

Rob

They they like crowded, packed rows of stuff, take them. We enjoy going. Not so sure kids would like it.

I've been to Nassau twice on cruises, and I haven't made it to the Straw Market yet! There are plenty of other things to do in Nassau that are worth getting off the ship.

I've gone through the straw market (not really intending to buy - just see what everyone was talking about). If you feel the need to have knock-off purses, etc., then this is a place for you. I was not impressed and it was just crowded and a hassle to maneuver through. Gotten off in Nassau in previous four trips; fifth one, stayed on board and enjoyed that much more than excursions and personal side trips.

I did not like one thing about this place....I thought it was a waste and would never go again.

I actually like Nassau, the restaurants and people, but I do not enjoy the "new" straw market. Years ago when it was outside, under tent like awnings, and kind of ramshackle I did like to go. I don't think most kids would be interested unless they like to look at inexpensive jewelry and trinkets. I don't think much is locally made anymore either unfortunately.

I don't know the ages of your children but if they're middle school or older and haven't been to the "carribean" they may enjoy seeing some of the downtown - government buidlings and crowded, narrow streets, walk inland a block or so, the port area is terribly congested. Even just listening to the residents converse in a restaurant or shop is interesting.

I've been to the straw market twice. The first time was four years ago. I felt we got good prices that time and both my teenagers enjoyed bartering prices. When I went this past summer I was disappointed. It was very crowded and the prices were high. When DD and I tried to barter the price down they just laughed at us. DD and I each bought one item then left. The merchants were not friendly and just sat there like we were bothering them. I would not go back again.

It's NOT an either/or situation: either stay on the ship or drag the kids off the ship into the straw market! It's quite easy to get off the ship and avoid the market. Take the kids to the Pirate Museum...they might enjoy that!

thanks for all the replies- i think we will enjoy the ships amenities that day since we have been to nassau before-- our daughter is only 4 and very small for her age- i dont think she would like being dragged around in that close quarters. My son is 6 and would be bored out of his mind ha!

Nassau is like Key West ...Disney needs to give up as ports and go some where else:thumbsup2 ...boring and little to do

Rob

My DD (23) and I were on the Dec. 14-18 2008 cruise on the Wonder. We went through the straw market and we also walked around that area. We both DISliked it immensely (and that's being kind). The straw market aisles under the huge tents/awnings are extremely narrow. Each vendor section has the sales person(s) sitting on a chair that is in the aisle. This leaves very little space to squeeze down the rows. And the rows go on...and on! And the merchandise is hanging or stacked everywhere - so don't wear a backpack if you go or you'll be bumping into things constantly (like I did). If your eye catches anything, and you pause for a second, the vendor(s) will pounce! I was ready to quit looking, but my daughter wanted to see a couple more rows. The last two I went down felt like I was walking on hot coals and my goal was just to survive until I reached the end!

Another unpleasant experience we had: when we were walking around (but not in) the straw market area, we were approached by two young women who tried to "give" us shell necklaces. We knew there would be a catch so we said "no - thank you" and kept walking. Pheww!
A while later, as we walked on a side street looking at the shops, we were approached by two young women...again. I don't remember if it was the same two as before. They said: "you've got to have one of these - for a Bahama Mama" My DD and I said the no-thank yous again. But, these two kept walking toward us, bantering at us until we were against a wall and then they actually looped the necklaces over our heads! :scared1:
All the while, they're insisting these are free. I figured, fine. Now we've got their (unwanted) necklaces, let's just get out of here. Except, they then crowded us and blocked our path to get away from the wall! Then one started her speil. "We're asking nice folks like you for a donation of $5"...blah, blah, blah. I said no and she persisted about the "nice folks" who are happy to give them $5. Finally, in desperation to end this encounter, I told them I would give them $1 for it. They both got very agitated and - one reached over my head and the other reached over my daughter's head and they removed the necklaces that they "gave" us...talk about invading our personal space!!!
I was shocked that this is allowed to go on there. I was also shocked and dismayed when - at dinner back on the ship - I shared with our tablemates about our encounter...and a young couple said they were approached by two women also, and that they just gave them the $5. *sigh*

Concerning young (and not so young) children, I will tell you what I overhead a fellow passenger/mom telling someone - that her child was intimidated by the straw market shopping. I think most children under 12 wouldn't enjoy it there.

If/when I take my next Disney cruise, I would NOT get off the ship to walk around Nassau again. I told my DD that I would either book an excursion to Atlantis or I'd stay on the ship.

Back on the ship, it was dusk when I went for a walk on deck and I saw Nassau with some of the city lights on. I could barely make out the straw market area as darkness fell. I took a photo and decided that the darker it got, the better Nassau looked.

:scared1: Google the words rats straw market nassau
and you will never ask that question again.

STAY on the ship :eek: We do!
Went on land 2 times and that was enough for a lifetime! In my opinion you will not miss a single thing if you stay on the ship.

I would definitely not take the kids off...my kids hated it...it's hot and the natives can drive you crazy. You won't miss a thing. HOWEVER, if you're looking for a really fun day, how about Atlantis? Through AAA, you can rent a room at the Comfort Inn next to the Atlantis (depending on the time of year, as low as $150) and you get full use of Atlantis' property - the water slides, pools, beaches are gorgeous. We checked in and out at the same time so we wouldn't have to walk back to check out later in the day. I highly recommend this. My girls 11 and 14 had a ball, as did my hubby and I. We also ordered room services/sandwiches om the cruise, and took them to Atlantis with us so we wouldn't have to pay add'l money for lunch. We were going to be renting jet skis which would have cost us probably the same, but for only 30 minutes of fun. This way, we had all day, didn't leave til 4:00. Good luck!

Agree with all. Just not worth it.

Our first cruise was a non-disney one, and it stopped at Freeport. They had about a dozen little shops, but not a crowded straw market. We got off for a half hour and walked around. Kids went back on and into the kids camp. Then DW and I got back off because right there, about 50 feet from the ship, was a little bar - open air. We had a couple drinks and got to look out over the blue sea. We were the only ones there. Incredibly nice. (other than that, no reason to go to freeport!) We're not big excursion or shopping people.

We went to Nassau (for the 3rd time) this past Christmas (2008). We were sailing on NCL Majesty that week and went to the straw market with my parents. We did not enjoy it. Apparently, the original straw market burned down and was in a temp area. They are working on a new location. Like the other posters stated: the area is small, "stuff" everywhere, not enough room to move around. Also, all I saw was hand bags and t-shirts.

I would not waist my time with it.

There is a lot more to New Providence Island than Nassau and the straw market, but with children that young unless you're going to Atlantis and the slides you would probably do better on the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter