Straw Market in Nassau

princessh

Every woman should feel like a princess!
I was wondering what you all could tell me about the straw market in Nassau. We were thinking of doing a little shopping, but I heard that you can not fit a stroller through there. I have also heard that the people there are really pushy. I love to shop, and I am always looking for a good deal! Is it worth the hassle? What kind of things do they sell? Just trying to plan ahead. We are trying to decide if we want to just stay on the ship, or get off and do some shopping. My husband is not much of a beach person, the day at castaway cay is enough for him. Thanks for any thoughts! :flower:

We didn't actually go into the straw market but did walk by it on our way to Senor Frogs. It did look like it was really cramped. I don't think that a stroller would fit through there very well.
As for people being pushy...they can be. You have to be careful about people coming up to you and giving you a bracelet. They will tell you it's free then they put it on you and ask for a donation. If they walk up to you, just kindly tell them no thank you. I think the pushiest ones are the ones who are trying to do the hair braiding. But we found that if you just look at them and tell them nicely, "No thank you", then they will leave you alone. I think it makes them mad for you to just ignore them. The ones that we encountered were fine as long as you did ackowledge them but tell them no nicely.
HTH.

I was very unimpressed with the straw market in Nassau. It is very crowded and the people are very pushy. I only have the outdoor markets in MArigot and Philipsburg in St. Maarten to compare to but St. Maarten wins hands down. Much cleaner and way more organized.
We did find some not bad deals but I would suggest you leave DH and child on board and just go have a look by yourself - it is right at the dock.

We love the straw market! It is just as much a part of Nassau as Atlantis. Yes, it is crowded, often noisy, and lots of junk there. Many older women sitting in their booths weaving baskets or purses. Don't ignore them, smile and say hello. They always smile back and say something nice! Just politely say no, but say it! We've been there three times over the past year, and every time came out of the straw market having bought little if anything, but having a wonderful time with brief personal encounters with many vendors there. Not a single one ever acted really mad. The most fun is when you show interest in something, and they turn on the charm and the hard sell. We treat it as good fun, and have a ball.

By all means don’t miss the straw market. It is part of the local culture and one needs to experience it.

The area is not conducive to strollers.

The people are aggressive to make a sell but a polite “No, thank you” is enough to let them know of your lack of interest in their product.

I would not let teenagers (or younger) go unaccompanied. I was holding hands and walking with my eight-year-old (surrogate) granddaughter toward the market and was approached and asked if I wanted to purchase some “weed”. Again, a polite “No, thank you” and were left alone.

While shopping for 3 beach towels in the market, and after trying to get the price to $25.00 for three, the negotiations landed at $27.00. I told the lady that this pretty little girl needed three towels but only had $25.00 dollars to spend. Devina proudly announced, “No, Mr. Bill. Mommy gave me $200.00 to spend!” I paid $27.00 for the towels.

You might want to have a family discussion on the art of negotiating before you venture to the market.

I have been to the "old" Straw Market prior to it burning down. I understand the new Straw Market is somewhat smaller and cramped.

I bought a wonderful beach bag there, woven with shells, that I still use every summer. You can get some great buys on all sorts of things there, costume jewelry, t shirts, hats, beach bags and purses woven of straw. I would try it at least once.

The straw market is really not much different than all of the souvenir shops that line 192 by Disney World. Most of the booths there, like the stores by WDW, have the exact same t-shirts, trinkets, etc. In FL, the store owners don't verbally hassle you to get you to buy like the straw market merchants do, but the timeshare ticket scam people by WDW are just as bad. My husband absolutely can't stand it (he hates flea markets, too). I will go if I need cheap t-shirts or a beach towel. Just be prepared for aggressive marketing (although I've never had anyone physically grab me in Nassau, which they did in Haiti...I do NOT like that).
Barb

I would not miss it either. These things are part of their culture and they make the stuff themselves right there in front of them. Stick by your price and they will most likely run after you and take your price. A lady put Nassau on a purse that I wanted there so it was a personal momento that I will always keep. Does any one know if the market in St. Martin is the same, that you can bicker down prices? Also, remember to take small bills if you plan on bickering down prices or they may not give in knowing you have alot of money. I forgot to ask for my change in Bahama money because my kids wanted to collect it. DOes St. Martin have another kind of money besides American money?

Shmora

Can you pay for items at the straw market in American money?

princessh said:
Can you pay for items at the straw market in American money?
Yes, I believe that they accept American currency there. I know when we did the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon, we paid for our pictures and things with cash (American).

Yes, they take American money.

St. Maarten is a great place to get bargains also - anything from souveniers to cab rides are all negotiated. I only remember seeing US $ in St. Maarten

We rushed through the straw market in Nassau when we were there in Sept 04. We did have one of the larger strollers from the ship with us...and didn't have any problems getting around inside. When we went it wasn't to aweful crowded...and I was very suprised at how far back the vendors really went...I had no idea from looking back though the market from the street. We didn't come across many GREAT deals..and were not able to get the vendors down much on anything...I do wish we would have had more time to haggle and brouse..but overall I'm glad we went.

From what I understood the old straw market did burn down a few years ago...but they are in the process of rebuilding. When we were there in Sept they had make shift booths with bright blue tarps.

Again...no problem with the stroller...and yes they did/do take american $$.

What type of goods are sold in the Straw Market?
My friend has a beautiful handpainted Tray of island women that she purchased in Jamaica and has it displayed in her kitchen. Is there anything there like that?
I'm also looking for a big tropical painting to put above my bed. Are there any vendors there that sell paintings and stuff like that, or is it more like shell bracelets and woven pocketbooks?

We were just at the straw market last week, 3/4/05. It is extremely crowded at its current temporary location. I would not suggest bringing a stroller. Mostly shirts, towels and straw bags. There are also pirate trinkets and misc. wood carvings. We walked around about an hour but you could see an example of most everything in the 15 minutes or so it takes you to squeeze down 1 aisle.
We stuck around because "Miss Linda" was making a small bag just for my daughter and personalized her name on it. It was really neat and she was great to talk to. Way worth the $10 we paid for it. Most of the other tourist were very nice in the crowded conditions and accepted that much bumping would happen. There were a few vendors that were frustrated with getting bumped but most were very nice. ALL will ask you to bye something but, as my mother always told me to do, I just said "no thank-you"...and it always worked.
Definitely go if looking for straw bags or other souvenirs of that type. Stay away if looking for a relaxing environment. You won't find it there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter