Strategies to Survive during the HOT HOT Summer...

LoveThatMouse!

DIS Veteran
Let's start a thread for essentials on Surviving Disney when it's as Hot as ....:firefight

1. Socks and running shoes -or- your most 'tried and true' sport sandal etc. Pack band aids in case of blisters. Don't break in a new pair of shoes at Disney.

2. If possible, pack everything you need in a fanny pack. Carrying a huge backpack makes you that much more HOT. Honestly, you really won't need half the stuff you think you will in that huge tote bag or backpack.

3. Disney will provide cups of ice water anywhere you ask...

4. Carry a packable umbrella. You will be super thankful for the umbrella even when it's not raining. It's a LIFESAVER in the heat of the day for shade. We LOVE our umbrella more for shade than for rain protection. You will NOT regret this decision. PROMISE!:umbrella:

5. For women, Consider dri-fit capri leggings. I don't have thighs that normally rub together, but OH MY WORD they rub together during trips to Disney in the summer...sweaty thighs rubbing together & a hem on a pair of shorts make for a miserable day. The days that I wear a dri-fit tank & spandex leggings with socks and running shoes are my HAPPIEST. If you MUST wear shorts, buy some body glide. Others have noted that non-gel deodorant or diaper rash cream can also be applied to thighs to help with 'the rub'.:dancer:

6. Use sunscreen and deodorant...enough said.:wave:
7. sunglasses:cool2:
8. and if at all possible, a mid-day break with a nap, shower, or time in the pool

Please feel free to add additional tips for anyone who may not know just what to expect for Disney in the Summer.

**Disclosure**I started a similar thread that has gotten a good number of views but it was moved to Completed Trip Reports and may be a bit difficult to find for folks who are doing general research for upcoming trips. It can be found
http://www.disboards.com/threads/ju...to-survive-please-read.3423442/#post-53946673

Just to add on with the water. It is filtered and clean and free. Any place that has fountain drinks will have it. No need to spend $5 for a bottle of water

pirate:Love all your tips!! I also find it essential to wear a hat, I usually bring 2 or 3 baseball caps.
Definitely drink even if you don't think you're thirsty & bring snacks!!

We're here right now, here's my tips:

GENERAL:

1. Myself, I find quality flip flops (Nike, Clarks, Sanuk etc...) better than socks and sneakers.
2. Use GLIDE anti-chaffe cream everywhere you can think of, especially on the feet.
3. Frogg Togg cooling towels
4. Wear a hat, it really helps keep the sun off your face. Myself, I really liked my wide, floppy hat, as it also shaded my neck and shoulders and yet was a lighter-weight material than a ball cap.
5. Ladies - sundresses are much cooler than shorts! But keep them knee-length or higher. Long sundresses are a no no.
6. Bring stain treatment - the heat makes you sweat of course, and the sweat can make colors in fabrics bleed. Also, if you buy any sweet treats, especially for kids, the icing melts really quickly, and the dye in the icing stains. We've had three items of clothing end up completely ruined because of heat-melting dye.
7. Drink lots - but not just water. Drink some electrolyte containing drinks. When you sweat you lose salts and if you're only replenishing your water but not your salts, you can end up a) not only sick but b) with an electrolyte imbalance which can affect your heart rate if you're prone to such things.
8. The heat can kill your appetite, so make sure you're at least snacking on high-protein foods to help keep your energy up.
9. Steal an ice cube now and then from the drink carts that are selling bottled water, and wipe your face, neck and chest off with it, lol. Trust me, you won't be the only one doing this.
10. Eat your lunch in indoor, air-conditioned restaurants.

MAGIC KINGDOM:

1. Casey's Splash Pad in Fantasyland is a great place to get soaked and cool off
2. Mickey's Philharmagic is an EXCELLENT show for cooling off in, as is Carosel of Progress.
3. Step into the doorway area of a store, as they have amazing blasts of a/c.
4. Tom Sawyer's Island is a nice place for a break. Lots of shade and picnic tables to sit down on.
5. If you're in the back of the park - take the train on your way out. It's a bit longer, but it feels so good to sit down and put your feet up.
6. Skip the misting station in Tomorrowland - the water actually felt warm, and just made us feel more sticky than anything.
7. I am now a firm believer that Rope Drop is a must at this park. You're able to get more done before the peak of crowds and heat. The mid-day crowds especially back towards Peter Pan, Small World etc... were horrible.

EPCOT:

1. Most of the rides in Future World are air conditioned, so they are a nice break.
2. In the World Showcase, duck into shops for an a/c break - they're all air conditioned.
3. In World Showcase, go to Reflections of China. It's a beautiful 14 minute show - in air conditioning.
4. While there is not as much shade here as in some parks, walk in the shade whenever you can find it.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS:

1. Go into Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground. There's fans, water fountains and splash features that are great for a quick cool-down. Lots of places to sit, and lots of shade.
2. The Coke water bottle cooling station nearby ^^ is also good.
3. Beauty & the Beast, Disney Jr, Ariel and Frozen are all in air conditioning.

ANIMAL KINGDOM:

1. Walk through the caves for a shade-break (some even have benches for sitting on).
2. Ride Kali. Also, if you're going to do the Maharajah trail, do Kali first. Maharajah has quite a few powerful fans, so when you get soaked on Kali and then step in front of those fans on the trail, it is very refreshing.
3. Step into stores whenever possible.

Agree with drinking electrolytes and not just water. Also, you don't need to go on a water ride to get wet. I've got one kid that positively just melts in the heat; he wears bathing suit bottoms and a quick-dry poly shirt (the kind made for workouts) into the parks. Whenever we take a bathroom break he soaks his shirt in the sink, wrings it out, and puts it back on. Works like a charm for grownups too, although I tend to just splash water down the front of mine rather than taking it off. ;)

Thread is on my watch list, we will be there in September and I've heard it compared to "vacationing on the sun". Also....Beauty and the Beast is in the AC? Really? When did that happen? Can you tell I haven't see it in a while :rolleyes1

1. Mister fans, specifically the "mini" kind. They're not heavy and clunky like the big ones.
  2. Moisture wicking clothes, including undergarments.
  3. Frogg Toggs chilly towels.
  4. Wet wipes for face, neck, and arms (I like Kleenex Splash and Go brand; they're less sticky than wipes like Wet Ones brand wipes).
  5. Non-sticky sunscreen - I like Neutrogena spray.
  6. I wear athletic "slide" sandals, specifically Under Armour and Nike brand. Super comfy and supportive, and much cooler than sneakers.
  7. Bodyglide or Monistat Anti-Chaffing Cream, for both feet and inner thighs.
  8. Washcloth in a ziploc bag filled with ice. Very refreshing.
  9. Drink way more water than you think you need - it's easy to get dehydrated before you realize it!
  10. Ice water (free!) from CS restaurants.
  11. I prefer a visor with a really wide brim to a full-on hat.
  12. And the ultimate summer strategy: ROPE DROP! With an afternoon break, too.

1. Tour the parks early
2. Drink lots of water
3. See 1 & 2; repeat.

Also, the shops on Main St in MK are a great way to cool off on the way out of that park (or anytime).

If you are staying on property, or reasonably close by, seriously consider an afternoon break, particularly if the parks are open late. We like to leave after lunch and return in the evening, then stay till close. MK really starts to empty after the fireworks, and you can get loads of stuff done in the evening hours.

I think the most important thing is to have a precise touring plan. One that minimizes the walking as a priority. And rotate in those AC attractions that let you cool down for a period of time (things like Philharmagic, shows, etc). Even sticking them into your touring plan where you normally wouldn't.

The other thing is to set your expectations appropriately and realize that you probably won't be able to get as much as done as you can in the cooler months and to be ok with that. :)

If your children NEED to ride Tomorrowland Speedway - ride it as early in the morning as possible. The heat and diesel fumes are an awful combination.

Tour RD until lunch, have a nice sit down ADR for lunch - experience one more attraction and then high tail it back to your resort and get neck deep in the pool! RD is key, it means getting up early on vacation, sometimes really early if there are AM EMH hours too

Take a cue from Mother Nature - when the afternoon thunderstorm strikes take it as a sign you should be back in your room resting. Once you have showered and rested the storm hopefully will be gone and you can go back out and enjoy the parks.

Bring foot spray - for both your feet and your shoes!
Bring multiple pairs of shoes - if you get stuck in one rainstorm it really is awful to have to put wet shoes back on!

Thread is on my watch list, we will be there in September and I've heard it compared to "vacationing on the sun". Also....Beauty and the Beast is in the AC? Really? When did that happen? Can you tell I haven't see it in a while :rolleyes1
No it's not air-conditioned.

I have to disagree with the fanny pack. I gave up wearing mine when I found I hated the way it trapped the hot air in around my waist, and made me hot and sweaty. Ick! A messenger bag is more comfy and cool than a fanny pack, at least for me it is.

I also recommend Croc sandals if you find them comfortable. My feet are much happier when it is warm without socks and heavy shoes. Plus, if your Crocs get wet they are dry again in no time. Great for those sudden rain showers.

-- (MK) The tiki statues in Adventureland (By Aladdin's Magic Carpets) are a fun way to cool off
-- (Epcot) Club Cool
-- (Epcot) Test Track Cool Wash

-- Head to the shops!
-- Any high capacity indoor attraction with low wait times (Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Ellen's Energy Adventure, etc)

Drink Water. Drink Water. Drink Water. (you should be going to the loo every four hours, if you're not - there's is a possibility you could be dehydrated, be very careful - it can hit so suddenly. My DD9 was fine (then 7) when we first went, and randomly at Universal, she said she didn't feel very well. We asked what she wanted to do and she said continue on, and then within minutes she'd paled, was shaking, said her head was splitting and was crying with the pain - for a child that never complains it scared the life out of me. Thankfully, we caught it early, got her in a/c, made her drink loads of water and had staff give us cool compresses to bring her temperature down and within 30-45 minutes she was well enough for us to leave the park and back to the hotel for some needed RnR)

Buy a cheap misting fan.

Regular breaks to shops and take advantage of a/c in shows.

Afternoon breaks. We usually leave the parks about 1, and head back about 6 - we swim, nap, rest and can stay till close.

I live by my go walks when I am over there and sports socks that wick the moisture from my feet - however if you feel a "hot" spot, stop, taking off your shoes and socks, inspect the damage, go to First Aid and get a plaster or moleskin...

BodyGlide

Slow Down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter