Strategies for driving to parks when staying on-site?

Crystal_27

DIS Veteran
Woo-Hoo - 2 more days to go before we'll be in WDW. :cool1: I'm trying to finish up my last-minute stuff, but I seem to keep obsessing about everything.

We are driving down from Atlanta to the parks, and are debating on whether or not to drive to various of the parks. So, my question is: how complicated is driving from resort to the parks *and* are detailed maps provided? Since we're staying at the Poly, we will only plan on driving to Animal Kingdom, but I want to know in advance if it's even worth the hassle to drive or if we should just take Disney transportation. Any advice is much appreciated.

Woo-Hoo - 2 more days to go before we'll be in WDW. :cool1: I'm trying to finish up my last-minute stuff, but I seem to keep obsessing about everything.

We are driving down from Atlanta to the parks, and are debating on whether or not to drive to various of the parks. So, my question is: how complicated is driving from resort to the parks *and* are detailed maps provided? Since we're staying at the Poly, we will only plan on driving to Animal Kingdom, but I want to know in advance if it's even worth the hassle to drive or if we should just take Disney transportation. Any advice is much appreciated.

IMHO, to Animal Kingdom, it's worth driving. I'm not too impressed by the buses, and the buses to AK are slow (mainly because AK is far from the rest of the parks).

You should receive a map at check in that will get you where you want to go on property, plus there are directional signs to all the theme parks and "areas" (Magic Kingdom area, DTD area, etc.).

If I were in your position I would also drive to MGM. I would probably monorail it to Epcot once, just for fun - driving your own car would probably get you there faster.

Also, bus service is less frequent in the afternoon. If you take afternoon breaks or park hop having a car can avoid wasting time waiting for a bus.

Some people say "I don't want to drive on my vacation." That's fine, but for me driving at WDW is much easier than driving at home.

As you can see I'm a big driving advocate. The only park I don't drive to is the MK and that's because the resort buses go directly to the gate, whereas you have to take the monorail or ferry from the MK parking to the gate. But staying at the Poly you wouldn't drive to the MK at all.

Drive yourselves-the busses are soooooooooo slowwwwwwww. I agree with driving to MGM as well.

I drive usually 2 days per vacation there because thats all I rent a car for (money issue really I suppose and I just get it to go to the beach and ease of getting to the airport). When I have that car I drive to every park for sure though! It's so much faster than the busses, which I love and I like walking for them and even the time chatting while waiting and riding, but the car just saves so much time. As for getting around WDW itself, it is really easy. There are so many signs, maps aren't even necessary.

From the poly I'd probably drive to Studios, DTD and AK.

Drive to all the parks. You don't have to wait for buses or deal with crowds once on them. Get to the parks early and you wont have to park far back. You didnt say where you are staying - so if you are staying in a resort on the monorail take that to MK. Parking is across the bay from there anyway, so that's the only one there isnt a huge advantage. Also by driving you can leave whenever, stop at Dowtown Disney on the way back from the parks, etc etc.

We LOVE driving around the World. It seems after a long day at the parks the kids feel like they are - home - once they hit the van.

Some tips... Read the signs... and when they say next right, they mean the very next right... (or left as the case maybe)

Depending on the kids age, make them in charge of remembering where you parked.... They remeber better than us!

Also The Poly is not that far of a walk from the TTC...

I would drive to ANY park EXCEPT the Magic Kingdom.

Taking into accoutn that once you park at the TTC, you still have to take the monorail or the boat to get to the gates of the Magic Kingdom -- buses usually end up being faster.

driving in WDW has to be one of the easiest things in the world...
you don't need maps, just follow the signs to wherever you want to go...

it's really really really really really easy...

I don't care how long it takes I'm not driving! I drive in traffic everyday of my life and when i get to Disney i let them drive for me. I can't imagine leaving a park late at night and having to fight traffic.... :confused3

I love the bus.... :banana:

But to each his own.... and if more people drive i won't have to stand when the bus gets full....

I would drive to all of them, except MK obviously... one tip for driving to Epcot, drive over to boardwalk and say you're eating at ESPN, then walk over to EPCOT through the international gate.

one tip for driving to Epcot, drive over to boardwalk and say you're eating at ESPN, then walk over to EPCOT through the international gate.

And please explain to your children what you are doing, explain to them that rules are not that big of a deal in todays society.. That was, Disney can be fun AND a good lesson for all!!!

I would drive to all of them, except MK obviously... one tip for driving to Epcot, drive over to boardwalk and say you're eating at ESPN, then walk over to EPCOT through the international gate.

And when you walk back to your car and it's been towed .. don't worry .. It's only $265 to get it back! ;)

Seriously .. don't do this please.

Knox

I wouldn't fret too much about traffic. I've never had a problem with it and I've never made a conscious decision to avoid it. Maybe i've just lucked out?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter