• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strange, words missing?

mickeyfan1

<font color=purple>Come and let me show you my tat
I got my new WDW planning DVD, and as I was watching it, the voice over said, "Disney Studios". And as I watched, the "MGM' did not appear on any of the signs that were filmed. MGM was not said a few times. Are they also pulling out - a la AT&T, GE, Met Life, etc?

Well MGM name is gone because of a little tiff they had. The exacts i do not know. As for AT&T and the other i thought that they were pulling names on the attraction signs and what not so i think they should be coming off the video too... it makes sense to me...

~Steve

Thanks, Horizons16. I had no idea. I even went to disney dot com, and MGM is still there. It was odd hearing it that way. Hmmm, does this increase the value of all the Disney MGM Studios junk I have bought over the years?

From previous posts, the contract with MGM will be ending in the near future (end of 2003?) and I do not believe it will be renewed. My guess is Disney is just planning advertising in advance so they can still use it after the contract ends and the name officially changes.

Once the contract ends, does that mean, no more Yellow Brick Road in the Great Movie Ridel or Umbrella with the rain, ala Singing in the Rain down near New York Street? That will be so sad!

No, Disney has the rights to that stuff now, they have enough of the rights to maintain the rides.

I'm a purist and remember people fussing about The Studios because they were so blatantly tying in MGM. This does not concern me in the least, now Disney doesn't have to wade through contractual red tape when they want to expand The Studios, their decisions are final.

I know the GMR is going through refurbishment. I thought awhile back there was a thread that spoke of some rumors that some of the scenes may be changed. Wonder if the wizard of oz part could be coming out?

i had no idea you could order a wdw planning dvd I thought it was only avalable on video could someone pls tell me where I can order the dvd.

I checked out the site but because I'm from canada I can only order the video. :( too bad. thanks for the info anyway.

Interesting thread... I personally will not be sad to see the MGM partnership go away. I really don't think MGM brought that much to the party to begin with.

Does the Great Movie Ride only feature MGM films? (I was under the assumption that they do.) However, with this life fullfilment of the contract, maybe WDW can explore other film titles. Maybe that is what is going on with Great Movie Ride refurbishment as we speak...

I was at Magic Kingdom today, and noticed that the "FedEx" signs had all been taken off of Space Mountain. Even the ones as you go through on the TTA. Kind of sad, really.

Not sure if this is true, but i think i heard that MGM now has some connection / involvement with Universal????

Can someone confirm this? Or correct me?

Carene

No, MGM is (at the moment) still an independant studio. The GMR rehab is only 6 weeks, not nearly long enough to replace such a large portion of the ride. They will be cleaning, repainting, and re-costuming.

I'm just wondering how long it will take people to stop saying the MGM part of the name? I'll use it for a while I know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter