• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strange Reception Question

Tigger1221

DIS Veteran
Ok I want to do something totally different for my Reception. I was thinking The Spirit of Aloha Luau. Do you think this is possible and would count toward our minimum? I know it sounds crazy but hey why not.

I hate to be a party pooper, but I wouldn't feel right if I did not share my experience. I have only had one "bad" time at Disney and it was when DF and I (then just the bf) went to the Spirit of Aloha dinner. If you do not get a table up close you can't see a thing (luckily we had a seat up front). The food was poor and believe it or not, the service was TERRIBLE. They even forgot to give us lays when we got there, and when we asked for one they made it seem like the biggest chore and basically threw it at us. :sad2: The only good part of the show was the fire dancer. My DF refuses to return to the Poly after this experience, I can't even get him to go to Ohanas (don't get me wrong, I has a great time at Ohana's in years past, it was just the show, not Ohanas, that was bad). I know my story is probably rare but it did happen and with something like a reception, you would want to guarantee it would be perfect. I actually have a DVC member friend that feels the same way about this show. I hate to be a pessimist about your idea, but I had to share.

I will say, I have never heard any negative feedback on the Hoop-de-Do Review!!

I have the same opinion regarding the food...I thought the show was decent and would be very romantic (i went with a female friend when i was 18--not very romantic). I have heard that they have reworked the show. However, I do recall the food being cold and not very tasty...

We were married in Disney in 2004,,we had a very small intimate wedding, (only 12 people including ourselves). We treated everyone to the Spirit of Aloha Dinner show after the wedding and had a great time. The night we were there the food was hot,,tasty ,,as I remember it and kept on flowing, and the service was great,,we absolutely loved our server! Of course maybe we were there on a good night and lucked out with our server,,but all of our guests enjoyed them selves and raved about it after. We were sure to mention that it was our wedding dinner when we booked the PS,,so we had seats upfront, we had our first dance there and were treated very special. Also,,when you first walk in,,you can have your picture taken out front,,the photographer took one of my new Hubby and me and then squeezed all of our guests in for another picture,,which was fun. The photo's cost a fortune,,but we bought them all anyway because we didn't bring a photographer. (which you actually aren't supposed to bring a "professional" photographer anyway,,but I think we would have been able to bring one and just have him use a more normal camera,,and not disrupt the show because you can have video and cameras inside.) Anyway,,sorry I got off topic,,but we did have a good time and wouldn't have changed a thing. *smiles*.

The only thing I would be worried about would be if your dinner party was very large,,it may be hard to have them seat you all together,,I don't know if they would let you rent out the whole place but for a smaller party it was fun.

Good luck with the planning and Congratulations :wizard:

we were going to go there for our wedding dinner but after some extensive research in the restaurant forum, we decided not to. You'll basically be on a dinner schedule where food and drinks are served for short period of time, and unless you're up front you can't really see much of it. We went on location to see the place and comfirmed our decision...
It might be fun for a regular dinner and show night, but probably not for reception.

Are you looking to include character/show entertainment in the reception?

Well Disney said no but thats ok after reading some reviews I am not sure if I would of wanted to chance it. We are going with the Living Seas which I LOVE so all will work out in the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter