Strange Question!?

mommytoxzande

Mouseketeer
Ok I have a strange question. My family and I will be at WDW prior to our cruise, if I purchase treats from the Caramel shop in Epcot would I be able to take them on board the ship so they don't melt in my car?

Thanks in advance.:)

Ok I have a strange question. My family and I will be at WDW prior to our cruise, if I purchase treats from the Caramel shop in Epcot would I be able to take them on board the ship so they don't melt in my car?

Well, I know that factory-sealed foods are permitted, but the DCL website says "Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board."

I'm not sure where those things that are essentially "Homemade" (albeit in a store, not in a home), as well as definitely "perishable" would fall.

I would think they'd allow if they are clearly marked as from WDW.
Honestly unless they search your bag thoroughly how will they even know you have it? :)

I would think they'd allow if they are clearly marked as from WDW. ...

Just to point out - this is not Disney's rule, there are laws regarding food items allowed to be brought into foreign countries. Once you step onboard the ship, you are basically considered to be leaving the U.S. They won't allow anything onto the ship that won't be allowed off in any given port, regardless of your intent.

OP -- I haven't bought anything from that shop so I'm not sure what you had in mind. Is it possible to have it packed and shipped home from EPCOT? That way you won't have to worry about it on your cruise. Or ship it home from your resort. Or would a cooler in your car keep it from melting?

Enjoy your cruise!

I did take caramels from Epcot on my last cruise onto the ship. honestly, didn't even think about it. whoops. wont do that again. But to answer the question, no one said anything. they were in my carry on as we don't check any luggage, but there was no intent to conceal. i am sure they would have been seen quite easily on the x-ray machine.

I'm wondering if you did make it onboard with the items and didn't consume them while you were gone, then came back, would customs let you back with them? They may think you were bringing food back into the country. Just a thought.

I'm wondering if you did make it onboard with the items and didn't consume them while you were gone, then came back, would customs let you back with them? They may think you were bringing food back into the country. Just a thought.

I have been lurking on this thread. I was questioning the same thing. Say you get it on no problem but then you are pulled aside for extra check at disembarkation. If they find it there isn't it a no go?

I think the issue comes down to which caramel in Epcot. If you buy the little squares it isn't packaged properly for bringing on and off the ship and although you may sneak by if it is discovered the port would be well with in its right to take it. If it is the individual wrapped variety with a product information label (never seen caramels like that at Germany only the daily prepared kind) then you would be fine either way.

We have brought snacks on the ship (unopened) and left what was not eaten/opened. No problems at all.. Nobody said a word.

We have brought snacks on the ship (unopened) and left what was not eaten/opened. No problems at all.. Nobody said a word.

The primary difference here is they are not talking about factory sealed snacks. This would be in the when-purchased packaging from EPCOT.

As others have said, getting them on would likely not be a problem, but I would advise consuming them on the ship and not trying to take them off as if for any reason you get pulled for additional inspection, there likely would be a fine.

If it is things to take home, perhaps the better option would be shipping them there rather than risking taking it on and off the ship.

We actually forgot about our previously mentioned bought (non-packaged) caramels on the ship and did NOT eat them. so we walked right off the ship with them as well. Again, no issues with customs.

Just for the record though, all of this was an oversight on our part and we did not intend on breaking the rules. I would not advise this for others. Just posting my experience.

I brought open packs of coconut candy and nuts back on the ship from Cozumel and nothing was said. The candy was not wrapped in a factory.

I think this is one of those "could I get away with it," questions. People have (as seen above) but it isn't allowed (on DCL's website list of prohibited items) and getting caught and possibly fined would not be worth it to me.
Just take other's experiences with a grain of salt.

I did take caramels from Epcot on my last cruise onto the ship. honestly, didn't even think about it. whoops. wont do that again. But to answer the question, no one said anything. they were in my carry on as we don't check any luggage, but there was no intent to conceal. i am sure they would have been seen quite easily on the x-ray machine.

Ok off topic but how in the world do you cruise without luggage?? And only carryon rollers, especially if you also spent a few days at the parks before....I can't even imagine how that would work.

Ok off topic but how in the world do you cruise without luggage?? And only carryon rollers, especially if you also spent a few days at the parks before....I can't even imagine how that would work.

14-day -cruise & WDW. My stuff fit in carry-on suitcase. Everything coordinates, and bring nothing I don't actually need or use.

DS clothes in carry-on. [His medical stuff in another carry-on.]

DH, however, hasn't learned to pack light.

We took packaged items from Goofy's Candy Co. on board. Items with wrappers around them did not seem to be a problem. We did not try to take individual treats like a brownie, cookie or cupcake on board because we were going back to WDW after the cruise. I think since these items are made in a commercial kitchen, they should be fine as long as they are packaged.

Thanks to all the replies. I think I may just have to force myself to eat them before we board!!:rotfl2: In all seriousness I will probably just refrain from buying a lot of extras. I would hate to spend the money and then have to throw them away or worse yet be fined for them. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by ocspartan View Post
14-day -cruise & WDW. My stuff fit in carry-on suitcase. Everything coordinates, and bring nothing I don't actually need or use.

DS clothes in carry-on. [His medical stuff in another carry-on.]

DH, however, hasn't learned to pack light.

Yea - we just use carry-ons. I generally take 2-3 change of clothes and one pair of shoes (the ones I'm wearing!) I think that is the biggest space saver - the lack of extra shoes. I just remind myself that I am on vacation and if there is something I really need - I can buy it. And bonus, it will typically have a cute Mickey head on it!

Thanks to all the replies. I think I may just have to force myself to eat them before we board!!:rotfl2: In all seriousness I will probably just refrain from buying a lot of extras. I would hate to spend the money and then have to throw them away or worse yet be fined for them. Thanks again!

I'm impressed that you'd make that candy last so long. ;)
In all seriousness, you could bring that candy off the ship with you in the US. The only candy prohibited in the US is Kinder Eggs and even CBP agents think that is silly. DCL, on the other hand, has their own rules and they are open to interpretation by whoever is on duty there. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't let you bring it onboard over a technicality.

I'm not sure any candies would make it out of the park with me and my family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter