• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strange question, probably...

MamaParrotHead

Earning My Ears
Is everything at Disney sold on a cash basis (within the resorts and parks)? Versus a card system (like when we go on our cruise, put a deposit down with a credit card and then just use the Disney card to make purchases)? Just curious. Thanks.

You can use a credit card just about EVERYWHERE at Disney. Either your own personal CC, or the card for your room account.

You don't have to carry much cash (if any) when at Disney World! :)

It is very convenient. We didn't carry any cash around the parks, just our cards. Our only concern was when we sent our teens off alone we had to explain that we didn't want to find out they'd charged up a storm on our card.

Another great hint that worked for us last time - I'm guessing they still do this...if you are staying onsite you can have any purchase delivered to your room. We did this with everything, even cheap purchases under $5. It was so easy! Even Rainforest Cafe in DTD provided this service. No charge and it made shopping so easy, maybe too easy.

You can only charge to your room provided you are staying on Disney Property. You cannot charge if you stay offsite.

Another perk of staying onsite, is that they will forward your purchases to either the front of the park OR if you prefer to your hotel for a later pickup. This way you don't have to carry anthing extra!:thumbsup2

Also, just a little reminder, that the amount you can room charge depends on the hotel type (value, mod or deluxe). I think values are $500 so you may have to stop at the front desk during your stay to actually have your credit card charged, then you'll have your $500 Credit open again to use.

Also, some snack carts and walking around vendors(light spinners, etc) only take cash so you will want to have a little with you.

Another great hint that worked for us last time - I'm guessing they still do this...if you are staying onsite you can have any purchase delivered to your room. We did this with everything, even cheap purchases under $5. It was so easy! Even Rainforest Cafe in DTD provided this service. No charge and it made shopping so easy, maybe too easy.
Unless you're staying concierge level, they won't forward your purchases to your room anymore. They will forward them to the resort gift shop where you can pick them up or to the front for pick up there.

I really want to do a room charge but since I must worry about everything this is no exception. I learned that I do not have to back up the KTTW card with another credit card. I was planning on using traveler's checks. My worry is this.. we will be on the dining plan. I am worried that they may charge our meals instead of deduct them. How can I keep this from happening? My DH hates hassle. He is very easy going and likes things to go smoothly, It would be such a hassle to go back to our resort to straighten it out. Or worse have our room charge messed up while there...a ruined vacation that would make. Have any of had any problems with the dining plan and charging options on your KTTW card? Am I just overrreacting?

Just wanted to say hi MamaParrothead! Assuming you're a JB fan like me :) Welcome!

I really want to do a room charge but since I must worry about everything this is no exception. I learned that I do not have to back up the KTTW card with another credit card. I was planning on using traveler's checks. My worry is this.. we will be on the dining plan. I am worried that they may charge our meals instead of deduct them. How can I keep this from happening? My DH hates hassle. He is very easy going and likes things to go smoothly, It would be such a hassle to go back to our resort to straighten it out. Or worse have our room charge messed up while there...a ruined vacation that would make. Have any of had any problems with the dining plan and charging options on your KTTW card? Am I just overrreacting?

We had not one problem room charging with and without the DP. If you have the DP, you will get a receipt at the end of the meal that shows the credits used. You can always stop at the front desk for a complete listing to show you what was used. I'm sure there are a few glitches here and there but I have not heard and anything that should make you concerned. I hope other DISers will respond too to reassure you.(or let you know of any realistic experiences)
Good luck!

We had not one problem room charging with and without the DP. If you have the DP, you will get a receipt at the end of the meal that shows the credits used. You can always stop at the front desk for a complete listing to show you what was used. I'm sure there are a few glitches here and there but I have not heard and anything that should make you concerned. I hope other DISers will respond too to reassure you.(or let you know of any realistic experiences)
Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. This is our first trip to DW and I just want to make this as smooth a trip as I can.:goodvibes

You probably will want to have some cash with you. If you want to make it fun, you can use Disney dollars!

Another Jimmy Buffett fan, here too(me)!

My worry is this.. we will be on the dining plan. I am worried that they may charge our meals instead of deduct them. How can I keep this from happening?

I was worried about the same thing and I remember reading the solution here on the Dis! Only put charging privileges on one of your KTTW cards. Use that one to charge purchases to your room and use any of your other cards for your DDP meals. Or, vice versa....have only one card without the charging privilege and then use only that one for DDP meals. This is what I plan on doing for our trip, but alas, we don't go until January so I am sure something will change between now and then.

Can you only set up charging on your KTTW card with a credit card? Could I plunk down a bunch of travellers cheques at the front desk and have that as a credit to use on my card?

Can you only set up charging on your KTTW card with a credit card? Could I plunk down a bunch of travellers cheques at the front desk and have that as a credit to use on my card?
I am not sure but I heard from a long time Disney vacationer that you can back up a KTTW card with anything. I did not want to mix my CC with it and I found out that you can back it up with cask, traveler's checks, gift card or your CC

I was worried about the same thing and I remember reading the solution here on the Dis! Only put charging privileges on one of your KTTW cards. Use that one to charge purchases to your room and use any of your other cards for your DDP meals. Or, vice versa....have only one card without the charging privilege and then use only that one for DDP meals. This is what I plan on doing for our trip, but alas, we don't go until January so I am sure something will change between now and then.
This is a good idea. I have a question now that only a diser could answer. Could I have charging privileges on my card and my DH's card and use one of my kid's card to "pay" for the meals with the dining plan? I am sure that I will be the only carrying my kids' cards most of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter