Strange happenings at check in BWV

r8ingbull

Earning My Ears
We checked into the boardwalk on Wednesday 02/05/03. When we arrived in our room there was a housekeeper sitting in our living room watching TV and eating her dinner. Boy was she shocked to see us. I think she was taken and unauthorized break because she had the vacuum running by the door to make it sound like she was working.
This really isn't a big deal, however we decided to let the front desk know about it. As soon as we told the manager, he offered us free one day UPH passes. We ended up with several hundred dollars worth of passes for 5 minutes worth of trouble. This sure makes me glad we don't get housekeeping everyday.

So when I check-in in May, the first thing I should do is called down to the front desk and say " Hey,someones been eating in my chair...." Only kidding. Glad the manager kicked in a perk for your inconvience.

Yikes!~ I bet that cm is watched much more carefully in the future! Glad that the manager did the right thing and give you something for this breach of service.

I really didn't mind at all, it was only 2:00 and rooms aren't available until 4:00. I never intended to get something for "all my troubles". The only part that I didn't like was our fridge smelled like "BBQ'ed Chicken". Thats what her lunch was. Later in the day I started to wonder if the previous guest left it, and she ate it (YUCK).

We stayed 3 nights at BCV and 2 nigths at BWV. Had a great time at both. 2 bedroom each time, 5 people at BCV and 3 at BWV.

The vacuum was running behind the door? Seems like the CM wanted to take a break without anyone knowing. I would prfer my dues not support this lazy behavior.....

We checked into a studio at BWV and caught 2 of them talking on the phone.... I called the front desk and complained, you all know how miuch phone calls cost! I also found several housekeeping snafu's like long hair on the carpet that should have been vacuumed up, if it had been at all. There were fingerprints on the balcony doors and cigarette ashes all over the balcony. I did not even get a "I am sorry for your trouble" not that I was looking for something.. but I just felt that since I was a DVC owner I was paying extra dues for them to take a break and talk on the phone.

I forgot to mention that they made us wait untill almost 5:00 to check in too! :eek:

MENTAL NOTE TO SELF:

"Always do complaining about mousekeeping in person to the manager..."

:p

That being said.... I've had bad experiences with washers and dryers in the 1BR's, but never something as bad as seeing mousekeeping be slackers on the job at BWV...

When we were at BCV in late Jan we had a slight problem with a lot of dust bunnies on the carpet and the bathroom tile. We called housekeeping and we showed them the problem and they were to come back and fix it. When we returned nothing had been done. My husband insisted on bringing it up at the check-in desk the next morning and the floor was cleaned.......somewhat. There were still dustbunnies on the carpet. We let it go. This was the first and only problem we had in four years of membership!

We once had a housekeeper eat oranges we had left in the fridge when we moved from a 1 br to a studio mid-stay. We had only left about 15 minutes earlier and she had already removed the oranges from the fridge and put them on her cart and was in the process of eating one! We had come back to get the stuff we forgot only to find it was gone! OOPS!

OK, we've complained because housekeeping takes too long, we complain because housekeeping is too fast. Hopefully, housekeeping will be JUUUUUUUUSSSSSTTTTT Right. Hey, you're always going to have some people need to take a break. Sorry they don't want to walk a half mile to do it. As for the dust bunnies, isn't there a vacuum in the closet? Aren't there instructions on how to use it? I agree the room should have been cleaned, but at what point do you just do it yourself then go down to the desk and talk, not yell, with a manager.

Originally posted by Geubux
As for the dust bunnies, isn't there a vacuum in the closet? Aren't there instructions on how to use it? I agree the room should have been cleaned, but at what point do you just do it yourself then go down to the desk and talk, not yell, with a manager.

IMHO, when I use the vacuum, it will be because one of my family makes a mess.

I'm sorry, but my dues go to pay for the housekeepers to clean. If I'm expected to clean dust bunnies up from previous guests, why am I not expected to change the sheets or scrub the tub out. I feel a good cleaning should be done between one persons check out and another check in. There is no excuse as to why it isn't done....if someone isn't doing their job, it doesn't mean I should do it for them. JMHO, again!

I forgot to mention that they made us wait untill almost 5:00 to check in too!

Check in is AFTER 4pm, so, 5 pm is not anything terribly unusual.

As for the dust bunnies, isn't there a vacuum in the closet? Aren't there instructions on how to use it? I agree the room should have been cleaned, but at what point do you just do it yourself then go down to the desk and talk, not yell, with a manager.

don't need instructions to run a vaccuum, however, I am not paying dues to clean my unit when I get there. BUT, I do agree, speak with the manager, keep a good attitude and for heaven's sake, don't yell!!! It is not their fault and when you yell, you only hear noise not words.

Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I forgot to mention that they made us wait untill almost 5:00 to check in too!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check in is AFTER 4pm, so, 5 pm is not anything terribly unusual.

I don't mind waiting if the room is actually being cleaned.. But I do mind waiting while maids are breaking and talking on the phone, and I expect it to be clean when I arrive.

Hi, r8ingbull. Your story of the maid eating in your room made me chuckle, just picturing the scene. I wonder who was more surprised, you or her! :p

Reminds me of the Friday night when I had to come back to my office unexpectedly at 9 PM because I'd forgotten something. There was one of the custodians sitting at my desk, with feet up ON the desk, talking on my phone, and idly rearranging the papers on my desk. The shock of being discovered was priceless. :eek: Truly a Kodak moment! ;)

I just smiled, said hi, got what I needed, and said good night. That custodian mysteriously became one of our most industrious workers after that. Go figure! ;)

Anyway, it was really nice that the manager gave you passes. Hope the rest of your trip was terrific. :D

Gee, I guess it does pay to complain to the right people (I think you were right in mentioning it.)

Travelbug, what a funny story. I always supsect that is what the cleaning staff is doing at my job, but never cought them. ;)

BTW we are almost nieghbors, I am from Royal Oak, and will we down at BCV the same time as you. Let's hope for great weather and low crowds!!! (at both the parks and SAB.)

We jsut got back from a trip to BWV on rented points (still trying to figure out if DVC is right for us!) We checked in very late at night (after 11 pm) and we dog tired. I went to use the toilet and discovered dried urine and pubic hairs on the toilet. GROSS!! I called to the front desk to have them notify someone, anyone, that this was unacceptable. It took them an hour to rectify to problem (I could have clean the toilet myself, but I didn't feel that I should have to on vacation!)

Just makes you wonder about housekeeping.

When I first read this post, " I thought -no big deal, the mousekeeper is taking a little break for hrself-No harm, no foul-blah! blah! blah!"

After reading on and thinking about it awhile and knowing that I had to clean up a bit at BCV last Dec. when we checked in, I got a bit annoyed.
One of the MANY reasons I joined DVC is to have peace of mind that my family are staying in a place where I know it will be clean, and there will be few, if any surprises. Reading these posts, especially the "urine and hair" on the seat is very disappointing. I also think that those dustballs may have been there awhile.

I do sometimes leave food, unopened in the room, assuming mousekeeping will TAKE IT W/THEM.

What exactly are they doing when they should be cleaning?

We were just at BCV and it was common practice on our floor to see 2 housekeepers (the same two) go in to clean the same unit. Why is this? That cart would be there for a VERYYYYYY long time. Doesn't make sense if there are 2 women to clean a 1 or 2 bedroom unit. Maybe they were enjoying watching tv or having their breakfast!! It seemed to me that the unit would get cleaner quicker but like I said that cart would actually sit there forever with the Maid cleaning sign on the same room. Actually another maid was doing solo jobs on the floor and it seemed like she was in and out in no time. 2 maids taking their time to clean maybe explains why there is a 4:00 pm checkin!

I actually do not find this acceptable behavior at all. One of the previous posters suggested that we pull out the vacuum cleaner and vacuum ourselves. Well if I do that do you also suggest that they give me a rebate on my dues? I certainly do not mind cleaning up my own family's mess but to clean up someone elses? Come on, get real! I should not and will not. We did have a few issues at the BCV, one being the microwave dirty (I did however clean it), the balcony dirty (again I cleaned it but was upset. However I needed to before my baby ate the old food left out there) but the biggest offense was finding the dirty child's sock in our bed. It was not our child's sock! Needless to say their was some off behavior from the housekeeping and not enough changing of the blankets/comforter or just plain doing their jobs. Disney better wise up and change their staff or they will lose at least some of us. I am sure there will always be those who say who cares and just let it go but what about our dues that we are paying?

It just makes me wonder if the Disney standards have truly gone down hill.......Just my opinion.

Who would I write to at the DVC to address this? We also had a problem one other visit and I took it up with the Executive office. This trip we stayed the first few nights at the YC and the room/service was wonderful and CLEAN! Is it just the DVC that they do a so-so job at? This is not our first experience with some dirty/unclean happenings at a DVC. Just disappointing that is for sure:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter