• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

strange charge on credit card or just a coincidence

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I needed to refund an ebay buyer-but I didnt have enough in paypal ( I dont like keeping alot in there--I didnt think to much of it cause I saw on my CC statement I was charged 101.82 marked as ebayincship

but except for the date that was the same as I was trying to transfer money from my bank account to paypal which also wasnt working--
paypal had put a hold which sent my account into negative--thats why I was trying to transfer money--the buyer did get their refund and the hold is off and Im now able to transfer money--

anyways the more I was thinking about this charge I couldnt put any of it together--nothing except the date matched up

I called the bank and told them Im not sure if this is fraud or if I just not seeing something--

she did say it sounded like fraud and closed the card and Im getting a new one--
and there inversting

I was worried I was going to get into trouble if I filed fraud and it turns out to be my charge but she said no the charge wil just go
back on my card

just wondering what you all thought--would you have filed a fraud case--or just wait to see what happens
did I do the right thing--

one other thing with ebay if your paypal account is short theyll first take the money from your bank account which there was money to cover

thanks

I don’t use PayPal, so don’t know what’s possible there. But my first thought is, did you call PayPal? Or contact eBay? I would first have called them & see if they had charged me for something I forgot about.

I know eBay has the refund protection. I never got an item I bought there & never got the refund from the seller. I was refunded from the eBay protection program. Could that have happened & eBay charged you?

Im sorry I forgot to mention yes I did talk to ebay who said theres nothing for that amount on my account and the buyer did get their refund

such a mess

Are you selling through managed payments yet, or still with just PayPal? My seller's account was transferred to eBay's managed payments in July. If I purchase my shipping label from eBay, after eBay has sent my weekly payout to my bank account and there's not enough in my pending payments to cover the shipping labels, they automatically use my old PayPal account for payment. Thing is, since I'm an eBay's managed payments seller now, I don't have any money in or use my old paypal account- so PayPal then uses my checking account, which is the backup method.
The way it shows on my checking account each time this happens is: PAYPAL INST XFER EBAYINCSHIP.
So, by any chance, did you purchase shipping labels through them in that amount?
I don't know what a refund would post as, as I've had money in my pending payments for every refund I have done so far.

interesting about the managed payments--I dont think I signed up for it unless they automatcially put you in it

and yes on my CC it does say EBAYINCSHIP-- but the amount isnt the same
maybe I jumped too fast on this but you cant be too careful well see how this turns out

You would know if you're in managed payments- eventually everyone will be, but it's a long conversion. You would have had to give banking info to eBay and set-up how you wanted to be paid (daily vs weekly), plus the fee structure/payment is different. Nothing would be paid into paypal anymore. Instead, in your seller hub page, you'd have a payments tab on top of the page- that's where all of your financial stuff would be.
Were you able to talk to anyone at eBay about the charge? That's so odd, with the amounts being different & the "ship" part on the end, I have only had that for shipping labels. If it's my monthly invoice being charged, it shows as purchase ebay inc with the date/ time. I would have done the same thing as you if the details didn't match up and couldn't get any answers. I hope it all gets worked out soon! :)

well the plot thickens

I just checked as you suggested under seller hub and all the was there wsa to return to bascialy what I had before--so I checked that but not I cant remember how to do anything anymore--ebay is sure making this so hard--thanks

Did you need to refund an eBay buyer after he or she sought a refund through the eBay claims process? If so, PayPal will automatically put a hold on those funds. If you have no PayPal balance, PayPal will tell you to add money to your account, usually via a bank account. If you don't have a bank account linked to your PayPal account, that could be the reason for the charge to the credit card.

You can't use your PayPal account while there is a hold on funds unless you move the amount into your PayPal account.

There's been a lot of fraud surrounding Paypal lately. I work in customer service for a large company and we've gotten a ton of complaints. All we can really do is tell people to confer with their banks. I would never have Paypal.

There's been a lot of fraud surrounding Paypal lately. I work in customer service for a large company and we've gotten a ton of complaints. All we can really do is tell people to confer with their banks. I would never have Paypal.

that's exactly what my credit union's fraud department told me. a few months ago i saw a charge from amazon pop up on my credit union issued credit card-no way i made it b/c i have an amazon credit card i use exclusively with amazon just so i can get that 5% reward. called my credit union and their fraud department took care of it no problem-said they were getting lots of complaints about fraudulent amazon charges but if i did anything through paypal to really keep any eye out b/c that was the bulk of the cases they were dealing with.

its really strange though with this is I do have a bank account listed with paypal to fall back on that does have enough in it for the return (I dont keep alot in either accounts just for this very reason--
so my suspoiuns got up when first I coulndt transfer money into paypal to cover the return--talked to ebay who said the buyer was refunded--(the amounts are different what my CC was charged and what the return was for) and ebay also said theres nothing on my account that was for the amount on CC
I did get a credit on my CC--well see what happens after the bank looks into it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter