Straight from the horses mouth....

kjd469

Addicted to WDW
Just got off of the DVC Member cruise, where Carl Holz and his ABD co-horts were putting on a few presentations to drum up business for ABD. He told us that in November they will be officially announcing an ABD/DCL combo for Alaska...I know some of you had been wondering if they would. He also told us another thing, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was...I'm thinking it wasn't too exciting or earth-shattering or I would have remembered.:) They also were showing off the new 2011 brochure, but when I asked for one at the end, sorry...none available:confused3

(I would have loved to have a one-on-one conversation with him, if you get my drift;), but he quickly disappeared after his speech)

....and in what I thought was very strange, they handed out pens as we were leaving, but of course, quickly ran out and told the rest of us we were out of luck...you'd think they would have been prepared for more than 20 people showing up??

Anyhow, that's the latest ABD scoop:)

That's some good news! I know a few people have been hoping for that. I'll be interested to see what they come up with for excursions in Alaska. They can't use any of the existing activities, because none of them are anywhere near where the Wonder is going. Unless it's going to be some sort of cruisetour. But I doubt that.

Sayhello

Did the "other thing" have anything to do with next year's Med cruises?

I wish you could remember what was said about the Med cruise. I've been calling every week to try and get info about the dates and rates for next year and they keep telling me maybe at the end of the month. I've been told all Med cruises for next year will have the ABD add on but that's it. Nothing about the itinerary or rates. I'm not booking the cruise until I find out for sure about the ABD info.

Any idea from past goers how the rate is computed? Is it the DCL rate PLUS the ABD cost?

Any idea from past goers how the rate is computed? Is it the DCL rate PLUS the ABD cost?
For 2010, it was a flat rate for the ABD ($2399 for Adults, $2159 Child ). The DCL cost was whatever cabin you booked. Booking the DCL was independent of the ABD. But you *did* have to have the cruise booked in order to book the ABD (or you could do them both at the same time). The ABD was truly "added on" to whatever the cost of the DCL was.

That said, 2010 was the first year, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were changes for how it's handled for 2011.

Sayhello

On the DCL disboard rumors abound that there will be new med trips announced soon (maybe even end of Sept), and we are hoping for an Eastern Med cruise (Greece, Cairo--via Port Alexandra, maybe Turkey). Makes sense to me--ABD is developing their Egypt guides, maybe they'll have a Greece-oriented trip announced for 2011/12 (and develop those guides) and then have an ABD add-on for an Eastern Med trip. Just saying.

I wish you could remember what was said about the Med cruise. I've been calling every week to try and get info about the dates and rates for next year and they keep telling me maybe at the end of the month. I've been told all Med cruises for next year will have the ABD add on but that's it. Nothing about the itinerary or rates. I'm not booking the cruise until I find out for sure about the ABD info.

All Med cruises will have ABD? As in the 7 nighters too?

Just got off of the DVC Member cruise, where Carl Holz and his ABD co-horts were putting on a few presentations to drum up business for ABD. He told us that in November they will be officially announcing an ABD/DCL combo for Alaska...

I have been away from the boards with work and school work and just saw this!

Very EXCITED as we are on the Alaska Maiden Voyage and hope that they plan on doing something amazing!

I have been away from the boards with work and school work and just saw this!

Very EXCITED as we are on the Alaska Maiden Voyage and hope that they plan on doing something amazing!
Oh, I am so excited for you, HappyGrumpy! I know how much you wanted to do the Med ABD/DCL combo. I'm sure it will be a *great* way to do Alaska!

Sayhello

I followed the link from the cruise board. I can't imagine what ABD could do in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway that is above and beyond the normal excursions.

Was the $2399 add-on for ABD in the Med just for excursions in 7 ports?

I followed the link from the cruise board. I can't imagine what ABD could do in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway that is above and beyond the normal excursions.

Was the $2399 add-on for ABD in the Med just for excursions in 7 ports?
Nancy, the $2399 included:

All shore excursions and all meals on shore (and most of the excursions were full-day trips, many of which are not offered by DCL, and which include activities you probably couldn't arrange on your own) with VIP access. And these trips are limited to no more than 40 people, so you weren't traveling with a pack of 100 people, and you had the same people on all the excursions, which makes for a very nice experience.

Private local guides on all our excursions.

Admission to all attractions.

The services of 2 Adventure Guides for the length of the cruise (they were basically our concierges while we were aboard, and took care of everything while we were on shore). This is perhaps one of the biggest perks of taking an ABD.

Some exclusive activities on the ship :

- a welcome and a farewell reception
- a session with the ship's historian
- a group dinner at Palo (did not count towards the 1 dinner you can pre-book)
- a private animation lesson

All onboard and on shore tips (except for the Adventure Guides)

A case of water in your cabin

A CD of all Shutters photos

A CD of all photos taken by the Guides

A set of exclusive collectible pins

Welcome gifts

I'm sure there's one or two things I've missed. I'll add them if I think of them.

In other words, it was an Adventures by Disney trip, with the Disney Magic as the hotel. It was not just a bunch of excursions...

Sayhello

Nancy, the $2399 included:

All shore excursions and all meals on shore (and most of the excursions were full-day trips, many of which are not offered by DCL, and which include activities you probably couldn't arrange on your own) with VIP access. And these trips are limited to no more than 40 people, so you weren't traveling with a pack of 100 people, and you had the same people on all the excursions, which makes for a very nice experience.

Private local guides on all our excursions.

Admission to all attractions.

The services of 2 Adventure Guides for the length of the cruise (they were basically our concierges while we were aboard, and took care of everything while we were on shore). This is perhaps one of the biggest perks of taking an ABD.

Some exclusive activities on the ship :

- a welcome and a farewell reception
- a session with the ship's historian
- a group dinner at Palo (did not count towards the 1 dinner you can pre-book)
- a private animation lesson

All onboard and on shore tips (except for the Adventure Guides)

A case of water in your cabin

A CD of all Shutters photos

A CD of all photos taken by the Guides

A set of exclusive collectible pins

Welcome gifts

I'm sure there's one or two things I've missed. I'll add them if I think of them.

In other words, it was an Adventures by Disney trip, with the Disney Magic as the hotel. It was not just a bunch of excursions...

Sayhello

Thanks! It sounds great, but it's pricey.

Thanks! It sounds great, but it's pricey.
Yep, that's pretty much it in a nutshell! :goodvibes

We've had several discussions here on this board as to whether or not these trips are worth the $$$$ pricetag, and everybody's answers are different. For some of us, it absolutely is. For some others, it is for certain trips. For others, it would be if they had the money. And others think it's just too much or they could do it better on their own.

Personally, they've been some of the best vacations I've ever had, and I plan to keep on taking them as long as I can.

Sayhello

Your info on the Med / ABD trip has been invaluable to me. I'm waiting for Disney to release the dates and prices for 2011 to book this trip. I've been told by Disney that it's coming at the end of the month and all Med cruises will have the ABD add on. I'm waiting to book the cruise hoping the price for the ABD portion hasn't gone up too much from your trip.

Your info on the Med / ABD trip has been invaluable to me. I'm waiting for Disney to release the dates and prices for 2011 to book this trip. I've been told by Disney that it's coming at the end of the month and all Med cruises will have the ABD add on. I'm waiting to book the cruise hoping the price for the ABD portion hasn't gone up too much from your trip.
Glad I could be of help! :goodvibes Are you looking at an 10/11 night or the 7 night?

Sayhello

We're planning the same trip you took, 11 night cruise beginning with an extra day in Barcelona. I've really enjoyed your trip report, thank you so much for taking the time. I'm impatiently waiting for Disney to release the 2011 info. I call weekly and they keep telling me "the end of Sept." Hope it's true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter