• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Stop squeezing Mickey's nose!" - An October 2014 TR *COMPLETED!*

Okay, all caught up! Too much to comment on, but so far it looks like a WONDERFUL trip! I especially like that ya'll took an evening to just chill out and hang at the resort.

I do have a question about the AoA Suites, if you don't mind. What were your sleeping arrangements? Specifically, where were the adults? I am doing AoA for my December trip with my aunt & uncle. Right now we are booked in two Little Mermaid rooms, but I have briefly toyed with the idea of moving us to a Finding Nemo suite instead. I just worry about the sofa bed, especially for a pooh-sized person. Are they comfortable for an adult? Or a pair of them?

Just found and read your TR this morning. I love it, sounds like a great first trip!
We are going this September for our first trip with three kids :scared:. My best friend/Disney fanatic is going with us so at least we'll be evenly numbered.
Your trip is great inspiration for us and your boys are adorable! I'm also loving the AoA details as we will be staying there too.

Thanks for joining in!! We had a great first trip!

You must be so excited for your first trip! It's great that your friend will be joining you. It really helped having my parents along. Everything is easier when you're not outnumbered!

We really loved AOA! The pool was great and the food court had so many choices! And it was so nice having a large room with 2 bathrooms!

Yep, I've been there. :hug: Dug and I had a debate about it on Izzy's first trip - she had fallen asleep in her stroller and I wanted to skip the show, but he insisted. So, of course, I had to wrangle a nap-awoken toddler the whole time. :faint: She did enjoy it for a bit, until she got bored. Love the show, though, and glad I've seen it sans-toddler before. :rotfl:

:scared1::scared1::scared1: How scary! Wow, It's Tough to Be a Bug won't be frightening to him at all (well, unless it gives him flashbacks).

Haha, cute! What a little dancer you have there! :dancer:

This was a theme with all the shows/seated attractions we saw. The only saving grace were snacks - we just had to keep them coming and it made things easier!

Yes the ants were a little scary! And my mom felt really bad for the rest of the day but the same thing could have happened if any of us had been watching him. I'm not brave enough to try ITTBAB yet - I've heard horror stories!

Okay, all caught up! Too much to comment on, but so far it looks like a WONDERFUL trip! I especially like that ya'll took an evening to just chill out and hang at the resort.

I do have a question about the AoA Suites, if you don't mind. What were your sleeping arrangements? Specifically, where were the adults? I am doing AoA for my December trip with my aunt & uncle. Right now we are booked in two Little Mermaid rooms, but I have briefly toyed with the idea of moving us to a Finding Nemo suite instead. I just worry about the sofa bed, especially for a pooh-sized person. Are they comfortable for an adult? Or a pair of them?

Thanks for joining in, Billie!!

We had 4 adults and 3 kids and we shared 2 family suites. In our room, Jim and Colin shared the Murphy bed in the dining area and Jake and I shared the master bedroom (Nate was in the room with my parents). We tried the sofa bed but it seemed like the Murphy bed was more comfortable (plus the picture of Nemo and Marlin sleeping on the inside was cute!). It was nice to have 2 totally separate rooms - we could close the doors and not disturb each other. And having 2 bathrooms was really nice! We didn't really use the kitchenette - I think maybe we reheated a few leftovers one night? But we were really comfortable there!

Sounds like you were very close to hearing the safari driver say "Sir, if you don't keep your child on the seat I will turn the truck right around, mister!" ;)

And of course they found drums ... they are like magnet to kids! Nice to let them have fun with them in the open air like that though

Sorry you didn't get to enjoy FOTLK more - definitely always dicey with shows and not knowing how into (or not) the kids will be.

Oh gosh! That sounds a bit scary with all the red ants - glad it didn't turn out worse than it did though!

What a smart idea to get those buckets to use at the boneyard! I do love how they have that "sand" there that doesn't get quite into everything like real sand (they have the same stuff in a play area outside of T-Rex in DTD)

Definitely did look like the kids needed that break - even if you didn't get to everything you wanted at AK ... just another reason to go back, right?

Your evening sounds really nice - I mean, swimming in a cool pool, eating pizza, watching a movie outside .... ok, now I really wish I wasn't just in an office staring at a computer screen :rotfl:

I've heard the same from other parents about the shows at WDW and their toddlers; unless the little ones take a nap during them the shows are almost impossible to enjoy!

Red ants! Ouch! Poor little guy. Glad it was just a few bites and nothing more serious, although I'm sure in that moment it was pretty awful, for everyone involved.

Glad the dig area was s much fun for you guys. I've never set foot in there; never been with a child of the right age group. Love the dancing video; little man has some moves!

There is always time for a Mickey ice cream Bar! :mickeybar:mickeybar

Sometimes a night pool side is just what the doctor ordered! As much as I love a jam packed vacation some down time is very necessary, especially with little ones.

Sounds like you were very close to hearing the safari driver say "Sir, if you don't keep your child on the seat I will turn the truck right around, mister!" ;)

And of course they found drums ... they are like magnet to kids! Nice to let them have fun with them in the open air like that though

Sorry you didn't get to enjoy FOTLK more - definitely always dicey with shows and not knowing how into (or not) the kids will be.

Oh gosh! That sounds a bit scary with all the red ants - glad it didn't turn out worse than it did though!

What a smart idea to get those buckets to use at the boneyard! I do love how they have that "sand" there that doesn't get quite into everything like real sand (they have the same stuff in a play area outside of T-Rex in DTD)

Definitely did look like the kids needed that break - even if you didn't get to everything you wanted at AK ... just another reason to go back, right?

Your evening sounds really nice - I mean, swimming in a cool pool, eating pizza, watching a movie outside .... ok, now I really wish I wasn't just in an office staring at a computer screen :rotfl:

You know, I don't think Jim felt any remorse at all for his actions on the safari. I think the direct quote was "At least Colin got to see the zebras. And it wasn't like I dropped him or anything." So, great parenting at it's finest! :thumbsup2

I hope shows will be more manageable next trip - all the boys will be over 3 and (hopefully) have the attention span to enjoy them!

The boys loved the Boneyard and digging with the buckets. Not sure if we'll try Restaurantosaurus next trip, pack small buckets in our luggage, or just hope there are extras lying around! But I have a feeling they will be expecting buckets next trip and it won't be pretty if I don't deliver!

As much as I love the parks, a quiet night at the resort was just what we needed. I planned an entire rest day for our next trip - swimming and exploring the resort (AKL!!!).

I've heard the same from other parents about the shows at WDW and their toddlers; unless the little ones take a nap during them the shows are almost impossible to enjoy!

Red ants! Ouch! Poor little guy. Glad it was just a few bites and nothing more serious, although I'm sure in that moment it was pretty awful, for everyone involved.

Glad the dig area was s much fun for you guys. I've never set foot in there; never been with a child of the right age group. Love the dancing video; little man has some moves!

There is always time for a Mickey ice cream Bar! :mickeybar:mickeybar

Sometimes a night pool side is just what the doctor ordered! As much as I love a jam packed vacation some down time is very necessary, especially with little ones.

Shows did not work out well with Jake this trip. He had zero attention span, so unless we had plenty of snacks he had no interest in sitting still. I'm hoping we can see a few more since all the boys will be older next time.

We loved the Boneyard - that and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids area were big hits! Anywhere to run and climb and explore! And yes, he has some serious dance moves. I'm dreading the time that he gets too cool to dance like that. :sad2:

I think we all really enjoyed our relaxing night at the pool! Pizza, swimming, and a movie was just what we needed after so many hours in the park!

Breakfast with our Disney Junior Favorites!

After our relaxing night at AOA, we were up bright and early for our 8:00 ADR at Hollywood & Vine!

The boys are HUGE Jake & the Neverland Pirate fans. I knew we had to meet Jake but I wasn't looking forward to trying to catch him in the Animation Courtyard. Plus, I was planning on signing Nate up for Jedi Training Academy so I was hoping the pre-park opening ADR would help us beat the crowd! :thumbsup2

We got to Hollywood Studios around 7:30 and they checked our name on the ADR list. Shortly before 8:00, they let us through the turnstiles.

Our first (and last, we would later find out) glimpse of the hat!

We made the turn and we were there!

We parked the strollers outside and I checked in. We waited about 10 minutes outside before they called our name.

We were seated at a large booth, right by the hallway leading to the bathrooms/Tune In Lounge/50s Prime Time. A nice preview for our upcoming dinner ADR!

Our waitress brought us coffee :bitelip: and I had enough time to grab the boys some food before our first visitor arrived!

Hugs and fives all around!

We all managed to grab some food before our next character. I found it to be totally average buffet food - nothing bad but nothing special. The boys enjoyed the Mickey waffles!

Soon we got to meet Doc McStuffins!

Next up was Sophia. The boys aren't huge fans (or at least Nate denies liking the show) but they were pretty excited!

Our last visitor was Handy Manny. Again, we've watched his show a few times but the boys were excited about all the characters they met!

Handy Manny seemed to really like Colin! Right after he visited our table, they started doing a little song/dance routine at the front. Handy Manny grabbed Colin's hand and walked him to the front to dance.

Jim grabbed this video. It's about 3 minutes long but it was cute to see Colin mimic the dance moves!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We all quickly finished up and took the boys to the restrooms just around the corner. The plan was to split up - me and Nate heading to JTA sign up and everyone else to line up to meet Buzz and Woody.

We said our goodbyes and headed out on our respective missions!

Next up

Jedi in Training...Or Not

Last edited:
As much as I love the parks, a quiet night at the resort was just what we needed. I planned an entire rest day for our next trip - swimming and exploring the resort (AKL!!!).

I love "down days" - a typical trip for us is to be there for a week but only go to the park 4 days. Gives us a chance to rest, check out other resorts, do things like play mini-golf, etc. - and AKL definitely seems like a place to spend some time at - hope you have a great trip!

I am definitely interested to see how the studios look with the Hat gone. I remember when it was MGM (well, it will always be MGM to me) and before the Hat was built so kind of excited about it and to see the view down the street. Also interested to see what becomes the "icon" for the park ... gotta get those PP pictures with the icon on each park

We were seated at a large booth, right by the hallway leading to the bathrooms/Tune In Lounge/50s Prime Time. A nice preview for our upcoming dinner ADR!

oooh, nice tease! ;)

Our waitress brought us coffee :bitelip:

Pretty much how I feel whenever I get coffee - but especially when there is a pre-park opening ADR and spent any morning energy getting everyone going and out and then settled at the table, etc.

I found it to be totally average buffet food - nothing bad but nothing special.

Of the character buffet's I definitely find H&V to be the least good food - that, combined with the fact that I think it is a $1 or so more a person vs like CP or TH, and I thought we were done doing H&V .... but then they had to go and add Sofia and Doc so we might have to add it back in on future trips, but we shall see.

Hope things worked out with getting Nate singed up for JTA!

How cool that they could use the pails/shovels to dig at the Boneyard! I don't have kids, so I didn't even think of that haha. We didn't mind Restaurantosaurus on our last trip and it seems like a good bonus that you get the toys to take along.

I don't blame you for just being in need of a rest after AK. I agree, I am always completely wiped after lunch time in that park. Idk if it's the walking all over, the heat, or a combination. I love AK, but around 2 PM I need a nap and a dip in the pool!

Love the Hollywood and Vine pictures. It seems like a big hit with the little ones since they can meet all of their Disney Jr favorites. Can't wait to hear about the Jedi Training Academy, hopefully Nate got to do it!

What a fun breakfast for the kiddos. (And no Nose-Squeezes, I noticed!) :laughing:

I had dinner at Hollywood & Vine once, back in 2005 I think. I agree, the food was okay, nothing special. Not bad, just average buffet fare. Thankfully, I'm very happy with average buffet fare, so I wasn't disappointed. I'm just not sprinting back, either! :thumbsup2

Fun breakfast and sounds like the kids had a great time with the characters. It's funny because I've never been to H&V and when we go there, it will be Jedi Mickey and pals instead. So different! Once Izzy gets more into the non-Minnie Disney Junior shows, I bet this is something she'd love. Hope you get your Jedi training sign up and Buzz/Woody meet done quickly!

I love "down days" - a typical trip for us is to be there for a week but only go to the park 4 days. Gives us a chance to rest, check out other resorts, do things like play mini-golf, etc. - and AKL definitely seems like a place to spend some time at - hope you have a great trip!

Yes, I am totally in favor of off days. I know some people are totally commando and tour all day but I think that everyone needs a break, especially with kids. And I'm very excited to explore AKL!

I am definitely interested to see how the studios look with the Hat gone. I remember when it was MGM (well, it will always be MGM to me) and before the Hat was built so kind of excited about it and to see the view down the street. Also interested to see what becomes the "icon" for the park ... gotta get those PP pictures with the icon on each park

I've seen plenty of pictures and I really like the view of just the theater. I'm wondering why it seems like the tower is the icon for HS instead of the theater if it will be the focal point?

Pretty much how I feel whenever I get coffee - but especially when there is a pre-park opening ADR and spent any morning energy getting everyone going and out and then settled at the table, etc.

This one of my favorite things about staying in a suite - a coffee maker in the room!

Of the character buffet's I definitely find H&V to be the least good food - that, combined with the fact that I think it is a $1 or so more a person vs like CP or TH, and I thought we were done doing H&V .... but then they had to go and add Sofia and Doc so we might have to add it back in on future trips, but we shall see.

Hope things worked out with getting Nate singed up for JTA!

The only other buffet breakfast we did this trip was Crystal Palace, so H&V was no comparison. Unless the boys are still obsessed with Jake on our next trip, I think we'll skip this one next time.

How cool that they could use the pails/shovels to dig at the Boneyard! I don't have kids, so I didn't even think of that haha. We didn't mind Restaurantosaurus on our last trip and it seems like a good bonus that you get the toys to take along.

The buckets and shovels was the #1 reason I chose Restaurantosaurus! How perfect since it's right across from the Boneyard. But now I feel like I need to check because maybe other QS at AK do the same thing?

I don't blame you for just being in need of a rest after AK. I agree, I am always completely wiped after lunch time in that park. Idk if it's the walking all over, the heat, or a combination. I love AK, but around 2 PM I need a nap and a dip in the pool!

I think AK is the most exhausting park as well. It seems like there is much more walking involved and not as many chances to cool down in a shaded line or indoor attraction. I think this will continue to be almost a half day park for us - I guess we'll wait and see what the new nighttime show is like!

Love the Hollywood and Vine pictures. It seems like a big hit with the little ones since they can meet all of their Disney Jr favorites. Can't wait to hear about the Jedi Training Academy, hopefully Nate got to do it!

I know I said the food wasn't great, but the whole point of breakfasts like that is the characters! They boys really loved meeting all of them!

Breakfast sounds like it was a success! I'm glad the boys loved the characters, such cute pics!

Yes, the characters were great! The did a great job with the boys and the dance parties/songs were fun!

What a fun breakfast for the kiddos. (And no Nose-Squeezes, I noticed!) :laughing:

I had dinner at Hollywood & Vine once, back in 2005 I think. I agree, the food was okay, nothing special. Not bad, just average buffet fare. Thankfully, I'm very happy with average buffet fare, so I wasn't disappointed. I'm just not sprinting back, either! :thumbsup2

See, this is where I'm torn for our next trip. I know I want to do the FDP. I would personally LOVE Hollywood Brown Derby but I don't think the boys (and I mean my 3 little ones, my dad, and Jim) would really enjoy the experience. Mama Melrose sounds good in theory but I've heard some pretty bad reviews about service and food. So that leaves H&V for dinner. That may be our best choice since I know there will be plenty of variety that everyone will enjoy!

Fun breakfast and sounds like the kids had a great time with the characters. It's funny because I've never been to H&V and when we go there, it will be Jedi Mickey and pals instead. So different! Once Izzy gets more into the non-Minnie Disney Junior shows, I bet this is something she'd love. Hope you get your Jedi training sign up and Buzz/Woody meet done quickly!

Oh I think Izzy will really love Doc McStuffins and Sophia! Nate tries to deny liking them (since he's 5 now and too cool for "girl" shows) but he's glued to the TV when I put them on.

H&V was a great way to meet all of the Disney Junior characters at once without having to wait in the Animation Courtyard. And Nate would love Jedi Mickey! I'm thinking a SWW trip will be making it's way onto our schedule in the next few years!

I love the parks at dawn; the lighting is so lovely, everything fresh and clean, it's wonderful!

Love all the pics of the boys are the characters. I've said it before and will say it again: you have some adorable children!

Can't wait to see how everybody's early morning missions panned out!

See, this is where I'm torn for our next trip. I know I want to do the FDP. I would personally LOVE Hollywood Brown Derby but I don't think the boys (and I mean my 3 little ones, my dad, and Jim) would really enjoy the experience. Mama Melrose sounds good in theory but I've heard some pretty bad reviews about service and food. So that leaves H&V for dinner. That may be our best choice since I know there will be plenty of variety that everyone will enjoy!
I've eaten at every table service in HS now except for Hollywood Brown Derby (which is out of my price range and I don't wanna spend 2 credits on it) and Mama Melrose, which I've also stayed away from due to the mixed reviews. However, over at Epcot on my last trip, I decided break down and give a try to the Coral Reef, which I'd always avoided for the same reasons, bad reviews... And I absolutely loved it. :lovestruc It reminded me that opinions are subjective, and that you never know until you find out for yourself. For all of these reasons, I'm booking the FDP for Mama Melrose for my December trip. :thumbsup2

Hi, I don't think I've chimed in yet, but I've been following along. :)
Just wanted to speak up now and let you know my husband and I really enjoyed Mama Melrose when we had dinner there for the fantasmic dining package. It's different from other places as you get an appetizer along with the entree and dessert selection. I had the steak and it was fantastic! I was persuaded to try MM by someone else's review and it did not disappoint! And recently, my friends took their kids (9,10 & 14) and the kids enjoyed it. Just wanted to pass along the info. :)

I love the parks at dawn; the lighting is so lovely, everything fresh and clean, it's wonderful!

Love all the pics of the boys are the characters. I've said it before and will say it again: you have some adorable children!

Can't wait to see how everybody's early morning missions panned out!

Being there pre-opening was just magical. Now to snag an 8:00 CP reservation next time!!

Thank you! :goodvibes I have to agree with you!

It did not go as planned...but it all worked out in the end!

I've eaten at every table service in HS now except for Hollywood Brown Derby (which is out of my price range and I don't wanna spend 2 credits on it) and Mama Melrose, which I've also stayed away from due to the mixed reviews. However, over at Epcot on my last trip, I decided break down and give a try to the Coral Reef, which I'd always avoided for the same reasons, bad reviews... And I absolutely loved it. :lovestruc It reminded me that opinions are subjective, and that you never know until you find out for yourself. For all of these reasons, I'm booking the FDP for Mama Melrose for my December trip. :thumbsup2

Coral Reef was on my list last trip but I dropped it because of reviews. It's so hard to go off reviews because it seems like people are way more vocal about the things they didn't like than the good experiences!

I'll have to do some more research but we'll be doing the FDP for sure next trip - Mama Melrose or H&V...but why couldn't Sci-Fi or 50s PT be a choice too! Life would be much easier!

Hi, I don't think I've chimed in yet, but I've been following along. :)
Just wanted to speak up now and let you know my husband and I really enjoyed Mama Melrose when we had dinner there for the fantasmic dining package. It's different from other places as you get an appetizer along with the entree and dessert selection. I had the steak and it was fantastic! I was persuaded to try MM by someone else's review and it did not disappoint! And recently, my friends took their kids (9,10 & 14) and the kids enjoyed it. Just wanted to pass along the info. :)

Thanks for joining in!:goodvibes

It's good to hear more positive revews for Mama Melrose! I was on a Facebook group today and someone asked about Mama Melrose and I would say more than 75% of people who answered really enjoyed it! I'll have to look over the menus some more but I know I want to do the FDP. And I do like that the MM option includes an appetizer as well!

Oh hope you get the Jedi training, so interested in that! We are huge Star Wars fans in our house. DH is obsessed and still wants SW Legos for holidays:) I think our kiddos are a little old for that character breakfast but surprisingly they may actually like it, the girls still love Sophia and the boys Handy Manny. Another maybe:) I'm loving all the dancing videos, he's so cute:)

Oh hope you get the Jedi training, so interested in that! We are huge Star Wars fans in our house. DH is obsessed and still wants SW Legos for holidays:) I think our kiddos are a little old for that character breakfast but surprisingly they may actually like it, the girls still love Sophia and the boys Handy Manny. Another maybe:) I'm loving all the dancing videos, he's so cute:)

Nate is really just starting to get into Star Wars. We have a huge collection of Star Wars Legos. He's starting to talk about wanting the Death Star but I'm not sure I'm up for that kind of time commitment! That thing is HUGE!

We really enjoyed the H&V breakfast for the characters. Jake was a must meet for us and it was great not having to catch him in the Animation Courtyard.

Thanks - he still loves to dance. Finding the dance parties will be high priority next trip!

:woohoo:

Jedi in Training...Or Not

We last left off with finishing up our breakfast at Hollywood & Vine. At this point, I took Nate over to sign up for JTA. My parents, Jim, Colin, and Jake headed over to get in line to meet Buzz and Woody.

I had known that I wanted to sign Nate up for the Jedi Training Academy from the moment I first read about it. He was just getting into Star Wars at this point. He loves playing with his figures and has a few light sabers and likes "battling" us. :darth:

So Nate and I headed over this way and found the line.

We hopped into line and waited. And waited. A CM came out and told us "People behind this point will most likely NOT get a spot today." Luckily we were within the safe window!

Or so I thought.

I was using this time in line (and with only one, fairly self-sufficient kid to worry about) to switch some FP+ around on MDE, check in on Facebook, etc. I failed to notice that Nate had gotten awfully quiet. :sad2:

And he just isn't a quiet kid.

I asked him if everything was ok. And he said yes, but where was everyone else? I told him they were in line to meet Buzz and Woody. By this point we made it inside the building. Only a few more minutes! Then the CM came around to chat with him, make sure he could follow instructions, etc. She was by no means intimidating. She just reminded him to hold the lightsaber with 2 hands and listen to his trainer.

Now I'm not sure if it was her questions, the fact that we were surrounded by lots of older boys, or that he was bored but Nate said "Mommy, I don't want to do this anymore." :eek:

What?? We waited in line for 30 minutes. I planned this for months. What do you mean you don't wan to do it? You get to be a JEDI!

I debated just staying in line to see if Nate had a change of heart. But I so didn't want to be that parent that forced their kid to do something only to have them freak out at the last minute. After a short internal debate, I asked Nate if he really wanted to get out of line. I told him that if we got out of line, he couldn't do Jedi Training. It seemed like he understood, so we weaved our way out of line.

And after all the planning, we bailed on something I had been SURE he would love!

We made our way over to meet everyone else in line to meet Buzz and Woody. When I called they told me there were only 2-3 families in front of them, we hustled over.

But of course, we saw a PP photographer and had to stop. I like that I got a shot with just my big boy!

And our one and only magic shot of the trip!

It seems like everyone else was having fun in line waiting to meet Buzz and Woody. Jim took these pictures of Colin.

Nate and I squeezed our way up and into line. There was only one family ahead of us at this point so we were only waited about 5 minutes before it was our turn!

Next up

The Plan Breaks Down

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter