stockton/sacto area motel reccomendation

goodvibrations

Earning My Ears
can anyone reccomend a motel for one night on I-5 in stockton/scato area/

we stayed at best western tracy ca on way down total dump..a/c and toilets don't work so any suggestions appreciated

also ww snacks changed yesterday no longer offering certain items, of course one i buy the side salad for 3.99 and they added grocery items for the room...we'll discuss trip later...thanks

There is an Embassy Suites RIGHT off of I-5 that is nice, but might be a little expensive.

There is a Fairfield Inn and Suites in Elk Grove (between sac and lodi) but it is off of 99.

Extended Stay America in Elk Grove off of 5

Hampton Inn and Suites in Elk Grove right off of 5

Holiday Inn Express in Elk Grove off of 99

I found these on Expedia.

I would recommend staying in Elk Grove. Both the Extended stay and Hampton Inn are right off the freeway off of Laguna Blvd. Just head east on Laguna Blvd about 5-10 minutes and you will come across lots of good restaurants and some stores like Target, so that is a nice area. (Plus I live off of Laguna closer to I-5, so I should know!:thumbsup2) The hotels closer to highway 99 are much more expensive because they are in a busier area. I5 and 99 are only about 10 minutes apart when you drive on Laguna Blvd.

DON'T STAY IN STOCKTON!!!!!!! If you thought Tracy was bad....:scared1: DH is a paramedic in Stockton, so I hear all about it all the time.

So yea, stay in Elk Grove. Sacramento off of I5 isn't all that great and you will be paying a lot of money to stay in Downtown Sacramento. Plus the hotels off of I5 are right near 3 gas stations and a few fast food places.

Enjoy your drive. If you have any more questions, let me know. HTH!

The Embassy Suites right off the 5 that mommy2allyandaveri mentions is a really nice hotel with a fantastic breakfast. It's right off the freeway and on the south edge of Old Sacramento. Lots of great places right within walking distance for dinner and you're right on the Sacramento River (if you're in too late for dinner, but just want a nice stroll). The Hyatt Regency and Sheraton Grand are right in Downtown (about a 2-5 minute drive down J Street depending on time of day) and are both very nice places to stay. There are also numerous smaller venues in Sacramento that are newly built and so probably in pretty good condition (i.e., Hampton Suites, Courtyard by Mariott). Some of these are easy to get to when coming down the 5, but you would have to make a small (ten minute or less) detour. If you have a particular price range in mind or something you're looking for (near a good resturant, just a crash pad, right next to the on/off ramp), I'll give you a better idea of which one might meet your needs.

Just bumping- I'd like some more input on this as well. I do know that there are some good priceline hotels around Sacramento. We stayed at a Goodnite Inn in Sacramento that was very close to where DH's Uncle lived and it sucked. First they lost our reservations--which were of course a killer deal, the room was tiny and seemed just so lacking just coming off a 6 day stay at HOJO lol. The pool was ice cold, and so called breakfast was muffins that we had to beg for more of and coffee. I blatantly piled a try full of them and took them back to the room even though we only needed a few-- some for the road lol.

The Embassy Suites right off the 5 that mommy2allyandaveri mentions is a really nice hotel with a fantastic breakfast. It's right off the freeway and on the south edge of Old Sacramento. Lots of great places right within walking distance for dinner and you're right on the Sacramento River (if you're in too late for dinner, but just want a nice stroll). The Hyatt Regency and Sheraton Grand are right in Downtown (about a 2-5 minute drive down J Street depending on time of day) and are both very nice places to stay. There are also numerous smaller venues in Sacramento that are newly built and so probably in pretty good condition (i.e., Hampton Suites, Courtyard by Mariott). Some of these are easy to get to when coming down the 5, but you would have to make a small (ten minute or less) detour. If you have a particular price range in mind or something you're looking for (near a good resturant, just a crash pad, right next to the on/off ramp), I'll give you a better idea of which one might meet your needs.

You're from the area so I just wanted to tell you where we'll probably end up staying so you can be scared for me. We're probably going to stay at the Motel 6 off 50 at the Howe Ave/Power Inn exit :scared1:. The hotel is SO horrible, like, beyond horrible, but it's cheap, right next to Denny's, gas, 7-1, and the rest of our party. I'm freaking out just thinking about it. :rotfl:

I'm also recommending to NOT stay in stockton, lots of bad areas here. (Sitting at work in the Stockton ghetto now)

You're from the area so I just wanted to tell you where we'll probably end up staying so you can be scared for me. We're probably going to stay at the Motel 6 off 50 at the Howe Ave/Power Inn exit :scared1:. The hotel is SO horrible, like, beyond horrible, but it's cheap, right next to Denny's, gas, 7-1, and the rest of our party. I'm freaking out just thinking about it. :rotfl:

That is a little scary! At least the Dennys there is OK (or at least it was when a ate there a few years ago for an event for a class I was taking).

If you want to go for a nice walk though, head over to Sac State (about a 10 minute walk). Beautiful grounds! I loved strolling under the huge trees between classes. Just watch out for the squirrels! They have no fear. :rotfl:

Yikes, that will be a "lock the door and hit the bed (literally)" kind of place! :lmao: Actually, while I'm certain the accommodations are very basic, there are defnitely worse parts of town you could find a place to stay. Much better, too, mind you! But it's not a scary area. As my DH puts it, "It's not too funky." And, like CuteDisneyGirly stated, Sac State is very close. If you head up Howe Avenue to Fair Oaks Blvd. (the opposite side of Sac State), there are some excellent places for dinner.

CSU Sacramento is right down the street. Lots of college kids down there. I'm sure you will be safe but not the nicest place I'm sure.

Yikes, that will be a "lock the door and hit the bed (literally)" kind of place! :lmao: Actually, while I'm certain the accommodations are very basic, there are defnitely worse parts of town you could find a place to stay. Much better, too, mind you! But it's not a scary area. As my DH puts it, "It's not too funky." And, like CuteDisneyGirly stated, Sac State is very close. If you head up Howe Avenue to Fair Oaks Blvd. (the opposite side of Sac State), there are some excellent places for dinner.

The neighborhood really isn't that bad, but that specific motel is! We've had to check in during what DH calls "crazy hour", around 1am, and WOW! I can't WAIT to eat Fresh Choice. It's our favorite resturant ever.

We just (like Saturday night!) stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Lathrop, CA (about 10 miles south of Stockton). It was clean, decent, fairly cheap. Didn't feel like it was in a horrible area since it is right around other hotels, gas stations, some restaurants, just off I-5. I'd stay there again. Nothing to write home about - but it worked just fine for our family of 5.

There's a Days Inn just off I-5 in Old Town Sacramento I've stayed at that was really nice. Beds were nice and comfy, it was clean, a restaurant just down the street.

There's a Days Inn just off I-5 in Old Town Sacramento I've stayed at that was really nice. Beds were nice and comfy, it was clean, a restaurant just down the street.
We've stayed several times at the Sandman Motel (Best Western) in the same area - I-5 Jibboom exit. It's a nicely kept motel, free wi-fi and continental breakfast. Last time we had a 2nd floor room facing the river which was rather pleasant. Took a walk along the trail to Old Town and the California Train museum.

thanks for the info....clearly anything south of sacto seems to be out of the question from everything i saw going through there and now read from the replies...don't know yet where to stay...

I'm not so sure I'd stay in the Jibbroom motels??? Lots of homeless hanging around. I walk over the bridge 2-3 times a week during lunch, they are camped along the river but usually don't bother people.
There is a new area on the off ramp at Del Paso Rd just after you pass the S curve from the airport. They have Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express with breakfast and a few others across the freeway. There is an eaterie stop with In and Out Burger, Taco Bell, KFC, 2 restaraunts, Straw Hat Pizza and a few others. Arco Arena is close so Weber's (can't remember his first name???) restaraunt is nearby along with Mimi's a couple of miles away (close to Walmart). You'd think me driving this way 4-5 days a week, I'd bother to look what's there.

There is a Hilton Garden across from me off Garden Hwy. Better eateries by Del Paso Rd though!
The downside is if traveling during the week, I'd avoid 7:45am-8:15am other than the first 3 Fridays of the month. Otherwise, the freeway moves along ok.
I also vote to bypass Stockton

I would recommend staying in Elk Grove. Both the Extended stay and Hampton Inn are right off the freeway off of Laguna Blvd. Just head east on Laguna Blvd about 5-10 minutes and you will come across lots of good restaurants and some stores like Target, so that is a nice area. (Plus I live off of Laguna closer to I-5, so I should know!:thumbsup2) The hotels closer to highway 99 are much more expensive because they are in a busier area. I5 and 99 are only about 10 minutes apart when you drive on Laguna Blvd.

DON'T STAY IN STOCKTON!!!!!!! If you thought Tracy was bad....:scared1: DH is a paramedic in Stockton, so I hear all about it all the time.

So yea, stay in Elk Grove. Sacramento off of I5 isn't all that great and you will be paying a lot of money to stay in Downtown Sacramento. Plus the hotels off of I5 are right near 3 gas stations and a few fast food places.

Enjoy your drive. If you have any more questions, let me know. HTH!

AS a fellow Elk Grovian, I also give a double thumbs up to staying in Elk Grove. Just exit I5 on Laguna Blvd and go East. There is a lot of restaurants, shopping and hotels to choose from.

I paid attention today in traffic while driving home from work. The hotels I was referring to on Del Paso Rd are just before you hit Sacramento, just after the airport. Hampton Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn Express and Courtyard--all are new within the last year. The other eateries in this eating stop are Panda Express, IHOP, Sizzler, A&W and Malabar. Large grocery chain store a block away.

I'm not so sure I'd stay in the Jibbroom motels??? Lots of homeless hanging around. I walk over the bridge 2-3 times a week during lunch, they are camped along the river but usually don't bother people.
There is a new area on the off ramp at Del Paso Rd just after you pass the S curve from the airport. They have Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express with breakfast and a few others across the freeway. There is an eaterie stop with In and Out Burger, Taco Bell, KFC, 2 restaraunts, Straw Hat Pizza and a few others. Arco Arena is close so Weber's (can't remember his first name???) restaraunt is nearby along with Mimi's a couple of miles away (close to Walmart). You'd think me driving this way 4-5 days a week, I'd bother to look what's there.

There is a Hilton Garden across from me off Garden Hwy. Better eateries by Del Paso Rd though!
The downside is if traveling during the week, I'd avoid 7:45am-8:15am other than the first 3 Fridays of the month. Otherwise, the freeway moves along ok.
I also vote to bypass Stockton

The neighborhood really isn't that bad, but that specific motel is! We've had to check in during what DH calls "crazy hour", around 1am, and WOW! I can't WAIT to eat Fresh Choice. It's our favorite resturant ever.
YOu should stay at Larkspur Landing instead as it is in the same parking lot as the Fresh Choice on Howe Avenue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter