• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stocking up on Disney stuff to use then give away. :)

OP I don't know why people are being so grumpy to you! I don't think any of this is weird, and there are plenty of posts about "pixie dusting" your fellow WDW travelers. If you offered my children glow sticks at a parade I would be appreciative. Also, I would not find it weird if you said to me in the hotel lobby "Hi, I'm going home tomorrow, and I have these blinking princess bracelets that were fun to wear here but I will never wear them at home. Would your daughters like them?" I would think that was very nice, and no my children really don't need any more little bracelets and stuff, however it teaches them a lesson about being kind and generous to strangers.

I don't think it's weird or creepy at all. We go to Mardi Gras parades all the time and adults always give my kids the stuffed animals they don't want (I don't really want them either as they catch a lot, but they kids love it). As far as handing out glowing sticks I would just ask the parents first. For stuffed animals at the hotel I would ask the concierge what the best way to distribute them would be. I would maybe bring a few to the park with me and if I saw an act of kindness go up to the person and thank them for being so thoughtful and hand them an animal. Just tell them you are playing fairy godmother for the day and rewarding acts of kindness.

The only thing I find weird here is that the OP started this thread at all. What was the point? People have replied; some like the idea and some don't, many have chimed in about their own experiences and/or suggestions on modifying the scenario. Just like any other DIS thread. What did she expect was going to happen? I'm confused by her hostility...:confused3

The only thing I find weird here is that the OP started this thread at all. What was the point? People have replied; some like the idea and some don't, many have chimed in about their own experiences and/or suggestions on modifying the scenario. Just like any other DIS thread. What did she expect was going to happen? I'm confused by her hostility...:confused3

Great post. I totally agree what is the purpose of this thread and then for OP to take an attitude.

It is weird OP if you don't have kids to do this. Of course a parent might take it but then they probably turn and throw it in the trash after you are gone. Not knowing you and where the stuff (crap) came from I'd throw it away too. It is one thing to offer a sealed bottle of water or sealed food but used bracelets and frisbees are weird. I would honestly say no thank you if my kids were little and someone offered them stuff. Just the society we live in. Are you even allowed to throw frisbees in Disney resort pools? Seems like you were expecting oh how sweet, wonderful by posting and when you didn't get all the praise you got hostile as PP said.

Sorry, but I don't get the idea of decorating the room. Particularly vacationing at Disney and staying onsite you're in no way at risk of being Disney deprived -- there's something provided at every turn. I could understand if there was a special birthday being marked and some kind of small decoration to surprise someone with as an extra nod to the special day, but decorating my hotel room, not for me.

Do you have kids? If so, handing an extra glow stick to another child who is talking to yours is very nice. If you don't have kids, this seems a bit weird to me.

I totally disagree. It's fun to get an unexpected gift, even if it something as simple as a glow bracelet, and I love when someone does that for my kids. I don't pay attention to whether the person has a kid with them or not. I take an act of kindness for what it is and don't waste my time over-analyzing the thought behind it.

OP I don't know why people are being so grumpy to you! I don't think any of this is weird, and there are plenty of posts about "pixie dusting" your fellow WDW travelers. If you offered my children glow sticks at a parade I would be appreciative. Also, I would not find it weird if you said to me in the hotel lobby "Hi, I'm going home tomorrow, and I have these blinking princess bracelets that were fun to wear here but I will never wear them at home. Would your daughters like them?" I would think that was very nice, and no my children really don't need any more little bracelets and stuff, however it teaches them a lesson about being kind and generous to strangers.
I find the posts of people of pixie dusting strangers completely weird. I personally think it is an ego thing and not generous. Why do people think they need to be responsible for somebody else's vacation? And with DOLLAR store stuff. Sitting down with your children at a parade and you happen to have an extra glow bracelet for the child next to you, that is kindness. Buying cheap dollar store crap to bring on vacation to "pixie dust" strangers already on an expensive vacation is an ego trip.

I would just leave the frisbee and all the extra stuff in the room when you leave. That way the cleaning staff, who may need some pixie dust way more than people on vacation, would benefit. Silly to throw it all away just because some people think it strange to hand it to somebody.

If the OP approached me and tried to give my child something, I would have to politely tell her no. One of the rules when our children were growing up was that you did not accept gifts from strangers. Most strangers are good hearted but consistency is important. And I certainly couldn't model that it is ok for Mom to take gifts from strangers and then turn around and tell the children that it is not ok for them to do it.

Last edited:
I totally disagree. It's fun to get an unexpected gift, even if it something as simple as a glow bracelet, and I love when someone does that for my kids. I don't pay attention to whether the person has a kid with them or not. I take an act of kindness for what it is and don't waste my time over-analyzing the thought behind it.

Huh. I don't think I said I was analyzing anything. My first reaction would be that it was weird if they didn't have kids who were interacting with mine. It's a gut reaction, which is pretty much the complete opposite of over analyzing.

I really think there is room for different opinions without putting others down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter