• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stocking up on Disney stuff to use then give away. :)

dreamerbaby98

Earning My Ears
I have been stocking up on items that we can use to decorate our windows and room with and items to wear and play with while we are at WDW for 14 days in January. :) So far I have tons of glow bracelets, necklaces and sticks. I got a bunch of Stuff at Walgreens the other day on clearance like princess blinking bracelets, a frozen pool Frisbee, a mickey In a boat for our window, a stuffed thumper and some buttons.
I bring the glow things to the parks with me on nights we are going to be waiting for parades of fireworks and if there are any kids who are interested next to us I share them. :) And the rest of the stuff I will try and find kids at our hotel who would like them, towards the end of our trip. But I do ask the parents permission first. We just don't need to take it all home with us but love to have fun with it all while we are there. :) I still have a few months to find some more things.

Do you have kids? If so, handing an extra glow stick to another child who is talking to yours is very nice. If you don't have kids, this seems a bit weird to me.

Last edited:
Do you have kids? If so, handing an extra glow stick to another child who is talking to yours is very nice. If you don't have kids, this seems a bit weird to me.

We do have a son who is 28 but will not be going. The parents that we spoke to last time were very appreciative that we were sharing the things we brought. It was never my intention to share but it was just how it turned out and nobody there thought it was strange at all.

Last edited:

You sound well meaning and thoughtful.

I would think I would look for a children's charity to donate the items to. The kids at Disney are on a magical vacation and probably getting lots of goodies. The items could really brighten a child's day at a shelter or children's hospital.

I think its nice. :) But, if it were me, I would probably explain to the parents why I have them to give away. This would probably help prevent the weirdness factor.

You sound well meaning and thoughtful.

I would think I would look for a children's charity to donate the items to. The kids at Disney are on a magical vacation and probably getting lots of goodies. The items could really brighten a child's day at a shelter or children's hospital.

I wonder if you could ask the front desk or guest relations to give them to a family who is on a Make A Wish trip??

I think the weird factor comes in for me in the fact that you will have no connection to these kids, and it's not like they aren't enjoying a treat already by being in WDW. If you donated things to a hospital or shelter, you would be helping kids who could really use the pick-me-up.

opinions have been heard. Sorry I said anything. I will still be taking the items for there intended purpose which is for me to use and have fun with myself. After that all items will be going in the garbage so I don't offend anyone. I have no intention of hauling it all back home so donating is not an option.

Why be so wasteful? Since you seem to have spent a considerable amount of money on stuff far in excess of what you can use yourself, why not donate all that excess stuff to a charity at home? Before you leave. Then you won't be packing a bunch of junk that you won't need/use.

I have to agree with the PPs who feel that any parents who can afford to take their children for a WDW vacation would neither want or need a stranger approaching their children with dollar store trinkets.

If you want to do something really nice, why not take that money that you were going to use to buy more stuff and do something meaningful, like a donation to MAW or GKTW?

I have not spent a ton of money. I have spent $12. It is not excess items. The Frisbee is for us to play with on our off days at the pool. And the other items are for our personal use. we will be using all items to decorate or wear. Rather than spending hundreds more on a fancy hotel we like to decorate and get a few items to wear and use.

And I never said I approached or will approach any children. We were sitting for an hour waiting for a parade one night and a fireworks show another night for an hour. We were chatting with the familys around us and as I was putting on my glow bracelets that I brought for myself, the kids were admiring them so I asked the parents if it was okay to give them a few. The parents had no problem with it and said they wished they had thought to bring some with them to use at night. Not everyone seems to have the mentality that everyone is out to get there children and give them junk as everyone seems to think.

So as I said I will not be donating the items since we will be using EVERYTHING we bring with us. I am not wasting money as I am only spending a small amount like $3 a month. WOW that will break the bank in the grand scheme of things for a Disney vacation. I just figured when we were done with the Frisbee I would give it to someone who was staying that would like to play with it instead of throwing it away.

Other people in here have talked about giving water and food away when they are ready to leave and have never been vilified. I would never take food or water from a stranger that could have something in it but that seems to be okay with people in here. Once again opinions differ.

And again I should never have said anything at all. I guess where I live and have grown up we have never thought that sharing a few glow bracelets while waiting would be a horrible act of giving junk to strange children. And no not everyone who takes there children have the extra money to buy all the extra gimmicks that Disney sells. I remember as a child people doing small things for me and me and my parents appreciated those small acts of kindness.

Enough said on this subject I am walking away. Everyone can have there own opinions And not everyone has the same opinion. Enough said. End of Discussion.

How is it weird to have some adult, on a WDW trip, give your kid glow sticks and bracelets? I mean, I would never think of overbuying to pass things out, and that might be the *weird* part. Frankly, I would have been thrilled if a nearby WDW park-goer bestowed such things on my kids. I mean, we are all at Disney, all in good moods (I think), and I strike up LOTS of small conversations with "strangers" I meet in the parade crowd or in a line. I think it's a nice thing to do. Has our society, with the younger generation, really become so closed off with personal interactions that we can't appreciate others, who no longer have younger children with them, enjoy making a kid happy?

Last edited:
I don't think it's weird, and I'm sure that there will be some appreciative people that you meet. We've been given and then passed on pool noodles in the past, and we've also handed out glow bracelets to kids around us. We did have kids with us, too, but I still don't think it's weird for you to do.

I don't really get the people who think this is weird? You can only do nice things for kids who are related to you? That's silly.

Geez, people take offense to everything these days. If someone offered my kids a glow stick in my presence, I wouldn't think it weird at all. It doesn't mean they are trying to lure my child into a van in the parking lot.

We always have extra glow sticks with us, and we ALWAYS share them with the children sitting around us waiting for parades, fireworks, Fantasmic, etc. Yes, it started when DD was a child, but she'll be 22 in a few days and we STILL do this- and intend to on our trip in November. I usually buy 2 or 3 tubes of glow bracelets (10-12 per tube) at Dollar Tree for each trip so we have plenty to share! (I also put one in our hotel bathroom each night, as a night light- because I bring PLENTY of glow sticks to Disney!)

OP I don't think it's weird.... I think most parents would say Thanks and move on! I know I would have.... esp.with a short explanation'we brought this with us to enjoy, but going home tomorrow,and hoping to pass along some fun' kind of thing..... nothing wrong with that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter