Stir Fry in the Disney Hotel Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringBackTapestries

Mouseketeer
This post is for FRIENDLY replys only please. Not a moderator, just looking for friendly advise.
We made a very good decision one year, and didnt realize just how good a decision it was till a year ago. We had a bunch of veggies in our fridge at home, and hated to see them go to waste, so we packed them (potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, and hot peppers {poblano to be exact}) in a 16" or so electric skillet, with some chinese crunchy noodles, and 2 jars of Indonesian StirFry sauce. (Which we cant seem to find in any store now) We already had a disney fridge in the room, so we washed all the veges in the lav sink, and sliced them up with a knife we brought from home. Each day before leaving for the park, we would use the electric skillet to heat water & make Instant oatmeal or grits, and drink energy drinks and hot chocolate (also from home; we were there in February; the cool month) then go to the park. We packed a few snacks each in the baby bag, along with presweetened coolaid, and had our snacks every few hours until around 4:00 when we would eat a large lunch in the park. (Usually at the burger place across from splash mountain, making FULL use of the fixins bar!!!) We'd then hop over to Epcot to finish the evening. When the illuminations was over we would sit and watch the pyrotechnics crew do their rounds on the pond, checking and making sure everything is out etc, and when MAD DASH crowds had all exited the park (about 45 minutes to an hour later) we would exit the park, and catch one of the last Disney buses back to AllStars. Once back at the resort we'd eat a HUGE supper of Indonesian stirfry with noodles and drink coolaid or water. (Yes, at 10:00PM!!!) It was so perfect.
We felt like cheapscates and the next year we opted to leave the skillet behind and buy our suppers in the park. BIG MISTAKE! Not only did we waste a lot more money (A WHOLE LOT MORE!!!!) but we were VERY dissatisfied. After a week or so it seemed everything tasted like fast food. Even at the fancy Epcot world showcase restaurants. (Germany was a VERY big letdown from the last trip to that restaurant 8 years ago; they went from about 12 performers to 3, eliminated the bell ringing, and the food wasn't what we had remembered.) We dont eat fast food at home, and it just left us longing for fresh veges. We heard so many different people talking about how they wanted fresh steamed veges when they got home. I'm sure there were some there, but they were just so darn expensive that I just couldnt bring myself to pay that for them. We are going back in December, and were wondering if anyone else had done anything similiar, and if so, how their results were. We fixed enough each night for 2 nights, and stored the next nights in the fridge, so we only cooked every other night. We would simply heat it up on the skillet again. Yes, it was a spec of trouble fixing it, but it was kinda fun, and the food seemed to taste so much better when your in the room on the bed feeling like Gumby with every muscle in your body aching!!! We figure we saved a good couple hundred dollars with the family of four. Anyone else have any good "food from home" stories or tips?

I'm sure you'll get a HUGE response to this one . . .

Anyway, no, it's not for me. We think half of the fun of a Disney vacation is all the great restaurants.

For a friendly reply.... We always bring a hot pot. My DDs will not eat much fast food and my youngest DD has food allergies. So we bring it to heat up water for oatmeal and to warm up tub meals (such as chicken and rice, etc.) or soup. We don't eat full meals, but will feed the kids breakfast and some lunches in the room. They also like deli meat (no bread) and fresh fruit.

I have never brought an electric skillet, too much trouble for me.

My first reaction is this must be a troll trying to "stir" up trouble, because I cannot for the life of me believe that people would be stir-frying dinner in their hotel room.

This has to be crossing a line of some sort. If I paid a good amount of $$$ to stay at a nice hotel, plan the vacation of my dreams and then had to smell someone's stirfry food cooking next door I would not be happy at all.

Another note, I believe this against all rules of hotel guests. No electrical applicances(except those provided by WDW) are allowed in hotel rooms.

If you really want to cook your own meals, I suggest staying at a Home Away from Home resort that has a full kitchen.

I'm sorry but this is a huge fire hazard and totally against WDW rules.

If you want to cook meals in your room, that's great. But please, for the sake of everyone - rent DVC points to get a place with a kitchen.

Ewwwwww...Disney water's nasty. I couldn't drink koolaid made with it. :p

What is really amazing me is that mousekeeping didn't report the skillet or maybe they did not see it. Also, I agree this much be against some hotel rule or fire code. Additionally, I'm with the poster that said I would not be happy to having cooking smells from a room adjacent to our.

Regardless, what you described is not for me. We own at DVC and have a full kitchen at our disposal and the extent of cooking that we do is microwave popcorn. That's what works for us...

You do realize that you are putting your Children in danger cooking in your room, not to mention all of the other resort guests.

Please consider renting a one bedroom at one the the DVC resorts and keep everyone safe.
Thank you.

I am assuming this thread was started to get people going!!! I can only hope! I certainly wouldn't want to be next to anyone who stir fried with garlic!!!! Plus how many veggies would you have to last all week and how did you keep them fresh w/o a fridge.

Sorry you are getting my reply and it's not friendly.

STOP! I don't want my room to smell like your stir fry. I don't want to smell stir fry from the room next door.

I don't want to be in a hotel fire because you were using a frying pan in a small hotel room with kids and "somehow" a towel got near the pan etc... (My mom actually burned our kitchen down that way so it can happen!)

Hot pots and coffee pots are much safer (that is why they are allowed in dorm rooms and frying pans aren't!) and don't normally smell!

There was a post on here recently where someone called Disney and they said this was against their rules.... so next time can you tell us where you plan to endanger our lives so we can report you? Oh I see you did.... I am sure your neighbors in the $200 a night hotel room at the GF are going to LOVE this!

Why stop at a electric wok? bring along your microwave, toaster and a portable gas grill too. Maybe you could put a sign on your door and sell your leftovers to your neighbors! Hey! A way to save even MORE money! :)

I think one of the "Home Away from Home" resorts would be great for you. Have you thought about a Fort Wilderness Cabin or renting points from a DVC member?

Personally one of the things I like about our WDW vacations is the fact I am NOT cooking as I do this enough at home and on our extensive camping trips in our RV. Trying out the food at WDW is part of why we vacation there and we budget to be able to it right. We do bring a cooler and always have in rooms snacks like yogurt and milk for snacks and cereal, etc.

Here is a link to a post sharing communications with Disney regarding this issue: Click Here

I think that this is all that really needs said.

And so this thread does not spiral downwards, it will just be closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter