Stingray City Grand Cayman (photo) ;o)

Zandy595

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f
Stingray photobomb
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/stingray-photobomb-women-cayman-135743169.html

qIy69.jpg

I just booked an excursion there for our November cruise. I'm SO afraid my kids are going to completely freak out and not get off the boat. Heck, *I* might not get off the boat. Not showing that photo to my husband!

:rotfl2: My DH just saw this photo on another news site. He is now freaking out saying "We're going there! That's terrifying!" I had to explained that the ray was not jumping out of the water on those women, that someone was holding it up.

I, too saw this and thought it was hilarious!! But definitely a once in a lifetime picture!

llqool said:
I just booked an excursion there for our November cruise. I'm SO afraid my kids are going to completely freak out and not get off the boat. Heck, *I* might not get off the boat. Not showing that photo to my husband!

I was there in 2010. It was one of the best excursions. The water is only approx 3 ft deep. You don't have to touch the stingrays, although they will be swimming all around you and brushing against you. It was an awesome experience to feed and hold these gentle creatures. I'll be doing this one for sure in the future!

So...not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but how do you not get stung being in the water with all those stingrays?

So...not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but how do you not get stung being in the water with all those stingrays?

Just be careful and respectful of them in their natural environment. Listen to everything the guides tell you to do/not do and follow those instructions. They are as close to domesticated as they can be, having grown up with the constant presence of humans. Does this mean that a freak accident, a la Steve Irwin, could not happen? No. They are wild animals and given the right circumstances, will defend themselves.

Stingrays only sting when stepped on or otherwise feel threatened. These stingrays, while wild, are used to having people around them. They don't sting unless threatened.

OMG, this picture is HILARIOUS!!! :rotfl2:

I did this excursion back in 1/2010 and admit when I first got into the water, I had some slight anxiety and almost got back into the boat...however, I quickly snapped out of it and ended up having a GREAT time with my two friends. They really are docile, and the guides bring squid/fish that they will give you (if you want) so you can feed the stingrays....I passed on this but my friends did it - their mouths are below them so you have to hold the fish in your fist with it sticking out the top so they can come by and snatch it up. We did get a picture giving the stingray a kiss. :)

I've booked this excursion for our cruise next week and am hopeful my boys (ages 7 and 5) will want to get in the water with them. We will have plan B in place if not!

I was there in 2010. It was one of the best excursions. The water is only approx 3 ft deep. You don't have to touch the stingrays, although they will be swimming all around you and brushing against you. It was an awesome experience to feed and hold these gentle creatures. I'll be doing this one for sure in the future!

I was there in 2010 as well and it was amazing!!! I was not sure I wanted to do it but my DH insisted that I get off the boat and once I did - it was soooo cool. We are taking my kids on a dolphin excursion during our cruise and I can't wait - I think they are too young for this but I know in a few years - they would LOVE it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter