• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stingray City...DCL or Capt. Marvins???

disneydawn

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
Can anyone compare the two? It seems like alot of people go through Capt. Marvins. Is it cheaper? Also how does Capt. Marvin get you to the sandbar? Catamaran? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi check out the websites for capt marvins and nativewaywatersports, both seem to be cheaper than DCL and offer a longer time snorkelling / stingray sandbar, great feedback has been given from both , from what i read the DCL trip is sometimes very busy and so the water gets quite crowded and that you don't get enough time in the water, if its any use i've booked mine with native way , $80 for 2 ads and 1 child, 45 mins at stingray sandbar then 45 mins snorkel at coral gardens and soft drinks on board.
Happy cruising.

We did Capt. Marvin's for $108 for a family of 4 ($34 x 2 and $20 x 2). The DCL version is $160 ($45 x 2 and $35 x 2). We walked about 2 blocks to Capt. Marvin's office and then took a van to the boat. You can see the boats on www.captainmarvins.com, but basically they are about 30' long single-hulled boats with upper decks (i.e., the roof of the cabin), front decks and an inside cabin (complete with rudimentary restroom). So shade is available. Water and non-alcoholic fruit punch were served. The kids thought the boat ride was a fun adventure on its own. I can't recommend enough a visit to the SC sandbar, however you do it. Definitely a highlight of our cruise. The water is unbelievably clear and beautiful and the stingrays are amazing.

Done both Cat. Marvins and Nativeway (most recently). Nativeway had better boats (newer, more shade), better equipment (snorkeling gear) and got you on the bar sooner. With Nativeway, you pay nothing until your tour is nearly over (Capt. Marvin there was an advance deposit). Nativeway was cheaper (and picked us up and drops off at the tender pier).
Both provide transportatioin to the debarkation marina and both provided drinks on-board (Ice-water and fruit punch).

Capt. Marvin had two snorkeling stops plus Stingray City.

Nativeway had one stop plus Stingray City.

Both tours are the same length, so Nativeway was in the water longer.

Nativeway was $25 pp, children 6 and under were free free, and if an adult doesn't go in the water their fare was $10

Capt. Marvin was $31 pp and $20 for kids 4 and up.

Both would be an excellent choice.

See:

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

and

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/about.html

Did you guys make a reservation in advance thru these companies or did you just do it on the day you arrived at Grand Cayman?

We just showed up at Capt. Marvins about 11 a.m. and got right on. We would have reserved it in advance (and I suppose I should recommend doing it that way just to be safe) but it was a last minute change of plans for us - turned out it worked just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter