• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stingray City at Blue Lagoon

Daisy-J&D

DIS Veteran
I've already booked Blue Lagoon - got the excursion docs and I'm thinking of switching to the Blue Lagoon with Stingray City.

Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if I should or if it's worth it. I'm pretty sensitive when it comes to the treatment of Animals. Will it upset me or is the encounter in a natural setting?

My DW and I did the Blue lagoon 4 years ago on carnival. We only paid for the beach day with snorkeling, but the waves on the northern side were too big so they let us swim with the stingrays for free.

The rays are kept in a pen with some sunken boats and other stuff. I would say the area is 200 ft by 500 ft and from 3 to 10 feet deep. There were about 12 rays and they were all very large. All had their stingers except one reeeallly big one, whose tail was chopped off. It was a little intimidating at first because you climb down some stairs to get into the water. The rays are used to getting fed by people, so when they see you enter they all converge on you to see if you have food.

I think you can just book the Blue Lagoon beach day and when you get there, take a look at the pen and the rays, and then you can just pay extra to the people who work there to go in with them. You may want to do this if you are unsure.

When I was there, there was some crazy guy who kept grabbing the rays and wrestling them up to the surface so his wife could take a picture of him. :crazy: I was afraid they would get mad and accidentally sting me so I tried to keep away from this guy. They never did hurt anyone, so I guess they are pretty patient creatures.
:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Just did Stingray City in Feb. This was definitely a snorkeling excursion for us, there was no where shallow enough to touch. You walk down some steps into the water and then snorkel above the stingrays. If you are a good swimmer you can dive down to touch them and feed them as they go by. The employees periodically gathered one up and would bring it over to the steps so people could easily feed and touch it.

The stingrays are in an enclosed area but the water is beautiful and they seemed to have plenty of space. They have a white one that I found very fascinating. All of the people in our group enjoyed this excursion even though the water was rough and they offered to refund anyone who didn't want to do it.

Across fron Stingray City there is a very picturesque beach. You have to climb down to it but if you are looking for a great place to sit and enjoy the view in virtual privacy this is it.

We were on the Western Magic and did Stingray City in Grand Cayman. If that is an option for you - it was awesome! The rays are in the wild and we were completely comfortable with them. The water was only 3 ft deep and we were standing on the bottom the whole time. I do not however, recommend the shore excursion "Stingray City & Snorkel tour" The boat ride was 45 min and the guy the ran the place was very obnoxious. Let's just say he liked the sound of his own voice. He was rude to a few people in my group. I would recommend contacting Captain Marvin's locally and booking a morning excursion because it is much more personlized.

The stingray excursion I wrote about was the one near Nassau, on salt cay (blue lagoon).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter