• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

still undecided about adrs and i book friday please help:)

deslynnpatterson

DIS Veteran
so i make my ressies on friday 6/12 but i still can't decide on a few places its driving me nutts but i keep thinking something still is not right-- and i am undecided about a few places and i keep going over things in my head and not sure what to do-- if you can please give me your yeah or nah-- reviews on the following it will be a huge help!! i need to figure this out in two days and stop second guessing myself-- please review the following for me-- and if you think its worth eating at or not... i hate being dissapointed at a disney meal:

~Kona cafe for dinner
~ Mama Melrose
~Whispering Canyon Cafe
~Sci-Fi
~Big river grille
~Planet Hollywood

what would you keep and why?? and what would you get rid of and why? thanks sooo much!!! its crunch time ladies and gentlemen!!:cool1:

I have only eaten at Sci-Fi and Kona Cafe.

Both were good. The steak at Sci-Fi was not very good-was told this before, but forgot when I got there. The server was very good. He made the experience better!

Kona Cafe had really good butter and bread! The steak was much better than at Sci-Fi. Service was slower (even when we requested fast), but we were there during Free Dining.

If you have one too many TS meals, you could still go to Sci-Fi and get dessert or split a meal and pay oop.

so i make my ressies on friday 6/12 but i still can't decide on a few places its driving me nutts but i keep thinking something still is not right-- and i am undecided about a few places and i keep going over things in my head and not sure what to do-- if you can please give me your yeah or nah-- reviews on the following it will be a huge help!! i need to figure this out in two days and stop second guessing myself-- please review the following for me-- and if you think its worth eating at or not... i hate being dissapointed at a disney meal:

~Kona cafe for dinner Never Been
~ Mama MelroseWe go every year--
~Whispering Canyon Cafesorry we did not care for and won't be going back
~Sci-Fialways enjoy our meals here and love the theme
~Big river grillenever done
~Planet Hollywoodwe have them in Chicago (and also did the one in Vegas)--food so so, we haven't tried the one at Disney

what would you keep and why?? and what would you get rid of and why? thanks sooo much!!! its crunch time ladies and gentlemen!!:cool1:

My comments in red.

Kona cafe for dinner : Excellent we always go there, food is very good it is a relaxing restaurant.

~ Mama Melrose: Food is at not very good. I think people get taken in by the atmosphere

~Whispering Canyon Cafe : Food is good and entertainment is great.

~Sci-Fi : Pretty good food like being at an old time drive in:

~Big river grille : I'll be honest been there once only had the burger and sat outside. Just not someplace I care to go to again.

~Planet Hollywood : Food is ok, Don't think it is what it use to be.

Well that is my two cents worth. I'm sure people will agree and disagree.

Diane

~Kona cafe for dinner
~ Mama Melrose
~Whispering Canyon Cafe
~Sci-Fi
~Big river grille
~Planet Hollywood

I've only had dinner at one of the places you listed and that was Kona Cafe. We really enjoyed the food and I wanted to go back on our upcoming trip but decided to try some new places instead. It was excellent and I think it's worth keeping for your list of adrs. :goodvibes

Like others here the only one I've done is Kona Cafe and we eat there once, or twice, each trip. The food is good, but the server we've had the last few times has made it even better. Last year DD9 got the be special Chef of the day and create her own dessert. The dessert staff all come over to our table and she felt very special. :goodvibes She said later it was her favorite part of the trip. It was all set up by our server to celebrate DD's birthday.

I can't remember her name right now (it starts with an I, I think), but I can look it up on our receipts if someone wants it. We now ask for her section if she is there. She remembers us from the last few years. :goodvibes

Haven't heard enough good things about Sci Fi to try it. I do think appetizers and dessert are a good option to check it out.

At DTD our favorite is Raglan Road. Good food, good atmospher. If you like music and dancing, sit near the bar. If not ask to be away from the entertainment.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I make our ADRs on the 14th and haven't really started to figure things out yet. Luckily the calendars for the parks are up so I can make a stab at it. Though we do make many of our ADRs outside of the parks. Just in case we don't use a ticket that day.

Good luck getting what you want. You're not asking for the biggest requests so you should do fine. :goodvibes

Kona Cafe is fabulous, we go there every trip.
We tried Mama Melrose for the first time last year and we all really enjoyed our meals. However, I will admit a lot of people do not like it.
Planet Hollywood has a great atmosphere but the best thing I can say about the food is there is lots of it. Wouldn't eat there again.

The rest we haven't tried.

Kona cafe for dinner GOOD
~ Mama Melrose GOOD
~Whispering Canyon Cafe GOOD
~Sci-Fi ONLY FOR LUNCH NOT DINNER
~Big river grille NEVER BEEN BUT HEARD GOOD
~Planet Hollywood GOOD

Ok, I guess its my turn for comments:

Kona cafe for dinner - never been, but want to try - I think you should give it a shot!:thumbsup2
~ Mama Melrose - eaten there twice and have been very pleased both times (however both were in 2006):thumbsup2
~Whispering Canyon Cafe - ate there twice - 2006 & Dec 2008 - great service, fun atmosphere, food was good, but not going back with DH who has never been - not his type of place.:rolleyes1
~Sci-Fi - never been but my sister, who lives near there, always says I wouldn't like and I've never had the "big" urge to go watch the same sci-fi movie trailers over and over and over:scared1:
~Big river grille - always thought I'd like to try it - but just haven't been able to fit it in yet. so no suggestions - sorry!
~Planet Hollywood - not the type of place I would go - so no info

My humble opinion is that you should try the places that interest you and not put too much stock in the reviews/comments on these boards. I have found places people hate, I love, and vice-versa and sometimes I agree with the reviews, but reviews are subjective so the only way to know for sure is to go try it out yourself...knowing some will be big winners, some not so big winners! At any rate, you'll be in Disney and you'll be on vacation and having a good time anyways!:cool1::cool1::cool1: Have a great trip!

I'm not sure about the oters and again you should go where you like the sound/idea of, not just what others like. However, I'm not a fan of Planet Hollywood at all. The one at Niagara is awful (the one DTD may be much better) so avoid them all. You can go to Planet Hollywood outside Disney, so maybe if you want to be DTD try TRex, Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Raglan Road as alternatives.

~Kona cafe for dinner
~ Mama Melrose
~Whispering Canyon Cafe
~Sci-Fi
~Big river grille
~Planet Hollywood

We haven't tried Kona Cafe, but heard it's really good. We're trying Ohana ourselves on our next trip, and i hear that both restaurants are similar in menu.

We've been to Mama Melrose, and liked the food. We were on the Fantasmic Package. With that package, and if you're on the DDP, they will allow you to get an appetizer as well as a dessert.

Whispering Canyon was ok, but expect it to be noisy and a lot of action. A lot of BBQ on the menu, and the chicken on the menu may have some seasonings that kids might not like. I'm remembering rosemary or some herb like that. We liked it, but others that were with us didn't. The ribs taste ok, but a bit dry sometimes. I'm not fussy and liked them. I think this restaurant should be tried once...for the "atmosphere" alone; and if you do eat here, be sure to ask for the Ketchup.:thumbsup2

As far as the other three, i haven't been there and if i had to pick, i'd choose sci-fi for the theming more than anything else...heard the food was good too.
I haven't heard of the Big River Grille, i'll have to check that one out, and as for Planet Hollywood, i think "Sports Bar and Grill".

As for what you don't have on the list, try Earl of Sandwich at DTD...great sandwiches for $5.75 or so. (of course that's not a table service restaurant, but is on DDP)

Let us know what you end up deciding popcorn::

FWIW, the Unofficial Guide and the WDW Today podcast guys really don't like Planet Hollywood or Sci-Fi. I haven't been to either place, so I can't say from experience. I just booked Mama Melrose and Whispering Canyon for September, so I hope they're good.

Last week was our first time at Disney so most on your list are unfamiliar to us.

Kona cafe for dinner ....Delicious & one of the best of the week. The ribeye melted in my mouth & DH enjoyed the tuna oscar. Everyone enjoyed the sushi appetizer and desserts.

~ Mama Melrose
~Whispering Canyon Cafe

~Sci-Fi....I canceled an ADR here for other reasons but we walked in for lunch later in the week. DSs loved the atmosphere! It is worth going if you've never been before. I would never use a DDP TS credit for this meal though when there are so many others to choose. We paid for this OOP. If on the dining plan, I would schedule an early ADR for lunch, pay OOP and then make an ADR for Tutto Italia (wonderful!), Teppan Edo (very good & entertaining), Marrakesh, etc.

~Big river grille
~Planet Hollywood

We also enjoyed the character breakfast at Ohana. The food was very good, served family style with fun character interaction. We canceled an Ohana dinner ADR for Kona but I would love to dine at Ohana in the evening.

The first night we used a CS at Wolfgang Puck Express and were very pleased. My pizza was wonderful, DH enjoyed his salad, the desserts were good and attentive table service. I didn't feel like we were at a get-it-yourself counter service.

Kona cafe for dinner - I just booked today, have never been but read very good reviews

Mama Melrose - I would like to try, but DH thinks Italian is too heavy for him on a park day :confused3

Whispering Canyon Cafe - we've been here a few times. Like it but don't love it. Service can be spotty

Sci-Fi - neat concept, good for burgers

Big river grille - never been

Planet Hollywood - food's not great but decor is cool. I'd go here for a drink and to look around instead of a meal

HTH

Hi
Just a little heads up:goodvibes
You can't book an ADR for Big river... through Disney Dinning you have to call them direct.

As for the rest you will get people who love and hate different places only you know what you will like.

Some people rave about certain places but looking at menus for them I know its not for me some places just seem to try to hard and when did it change from sauce or gravy to Jus? :offtopic:

Does Ohana have the mickey pancakes for breakfast...???
and do they charge for that???

Thanks

Does Ohana have the mickey pancakes for breakfast...???
and do they charge for that???

Last week we were served Mickey waffles without being charged extra.

~Kona cafe for dinner
~ Mama Melrose
~Whispering Canyon Cafe
~Sci-Fi
~Big river grille
~Planet Hollywood

what would you keep and why??

Kona - My favorite! I make it a point to eat dinner here each and every trip. The steak is great, Mahi-Mahi is to die for, desserts are fabulous, and the bread and butter is the best I have every had, anywhere.

Mama Melrose - we had a good lunch here, would do again.

Whispering Canyon - fun place, we had dinner here once. The only thing I would do differently would be to order off the menu rather than ordering the skillet. Everything was dried out and cold - I would get something they have to cook to order next time.

Sci-Fi - also another of our must do's...my kid's favorite restaurant on property. I would stick with the burgers, onion rings and shakes - you can't go wrong with those!

Big River Grille - we've never done - maybe next time so I can sample their beer.

Planet Hollywood - never tried - way too many great places in DTD for me to do a commercialized place like PH.

No character meals?

I personally would dump Planet Hollywood.

yeah i think i am getting rid of that:) I didn't even think of a character meal-- how is Crystal Palace? I think I am going for Kona, Mama Melrose for sure-- but still not sure about WCC--- but planet hollywood and BRG is out of the running LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter