still trying to pick out my puppy - need help deciding on breeder

If the parents are on the premises be sure to check them out to see temperment. Ask about any allergies in the parents.

Good luck on finding the right breeder for you. We have a Boston and he is an awesome dog. Very gentle, loving, energetic and full of personality.

Do they show? While showing is not mandatory to get a good dog, it does show that the breeder is in it for the betterment of the breed and will also have a much better knowledge of the breed.

Are they a member in good standing of the Boston Terrier Club of America, the national breed club that dedicated to the breed? If they are interested in creating the best Boston Terriers, they should be members of the National Breed Club.

Do they follow the breeders code of ethics from the Boston Terrier Club of America?

Are they involved with any local breed club?

And a big question - why did you breed this particular ***** to this particular dog? The breeder should tell you things like "I wanted to improve Fluffy's top line and Buddy is known to throw good top lines." Since a good and reputable breeder is only into breeding to breed for the betterment of the breed, they should be able to go into minute detail about why they chose these two particular dogs to breed together.

Ask them if they temperament tested the puppies.

I would be suspicious of any breeder that actually lets you choose your puppy out of the whole litter. Most reputable breeders will temperament test their puppies and then, after grilling you on your lifestyle and what you want, will place the puppy with the temperament best suited to your lifestyle with you. This helps cut down on grown dogs that end up in rescue when they are a laid back family who end up with the alpha puppy in the litter. They might give you a choice of a few of the puppies that would fit you, but I would run from any breeder that takes money and lets you come in and just take a puppy home.

Another huge one: Look at the contract. A reputable breeder will ALWAYS stipulate that they have first right of refusal if you ever need to rehome the dog. A reputable breeder remains responsible for the litters they put on the ground by agreeing to take back any dog at any age for any reason if you have to re-home. A responsible breeder will never let their puppies end up in rescue if they can help it.

Ask for references from previous puppy buyers. No references? Run like the wind. That means they are just creating puppies and taking the money without doing any kind of research and followup with the homes they place their puppies in.

Depending on the age of the puppies in the litter, the breeder who isn't interested in you coming over could possibly be your best breeder. Some of the really good breeders are pretty anal about no visitors until their puppies are old enough to not contract other diseases. A person can track in things like distemper on the bottoms of their shoes. There are other good reasons to not want visitors in the early weeks of puppyhood such as the ***** may be a nervous 1st mom and the breeder doesn't want to stress her out.

Did you get breeder references from the Boston Terrier Club of America? That is the best place to go to find a good and reputable breeder.
Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Contrary to what many people will tell you, you can get a good dog from someone who doesn't show them. Most of the litreature out there says to look for a show breeder, but not everyone who chooses not to show is in it for the money, doesn't care about thier dogs, ect. My parents just got a second English Bulldog pup from such a breeder. She still does all of the screening procedures, knows the breed standards ect, but chooses NOT to show her dogs because they are well loved pets, not props for a show ring. She says that she chooses to love her dogs without condition. They don't have to win in a show ring to be valued by her. The first pup they got from her was a well loved addition to our family for 9 wonderful years.

While there are plenty of people who breed their dogs for fun, and because they love the breed, it is almost always a good thing to buy from a breeder who shows that breed. Why? Because each breed is held to certain standards. If a breeder is showing their dogs, it means they are interested in the continued quality of that breed. If you go to the lady in your town, who just loves her dogs to death, and finds a mate for her dog, and they have those adorable puppies, well....has she done her homework? Has she had the other dog checked out for any possible health issues....just to start with.

A short story that shows why you should buy from established breeders.
We talked to the Golden Retriever Club to get some breeder names..that they were familier with. We also went to a few dog shows in the area. We talked to a breeder who had also been mentioned by the rescue club. Okay. We decide to buy a pup from her. We took a puppy that she had wanted to keep for herself, to breed and show, but he had only one descended testicle...made him worthless in the ring and as a stud dog, but a perfect family pet. We signed a contract that stated we would neuter him. The breeder wanted us to let her know if the vet found that the testicle either dropped or didn't drop. We took him to his pre-neuter appt...lo and behold, it had just dropped. I called the breeder that night...she was so happy. She told me that if it hadn't dropped, she was going to have to stop breeding my pup's mom...it was a genetic issue and not one she was comfortable possibly passing on.

Our contract included all the health records of both mom and dad..hips, eyes, etc. Your 'hobby' breeder doesn't offer that...and it's a very important componant.
I am not saying that all hobby breeders are 'uncaring' as to the specifics of the breed. But, I just feel safer knowing that I know the complete background of my dog.

Oh, and that whole rescue thing??? We've tried it, my mother-in-law tried it. We failed the requirements. Why??? We didn't have a fenced in yard...either one of us. Yes, I understand the need for some rules, but really?? Can they not do it on a case by case basis??? It is very hard to get dogs from rescue organizations a lot of times.

You have to be careful with the term "hobby" breeder. Many conscientious dog breeders who are pillars of their national breed clubs use the term "hobby breeder" for themselves. Showing dogs is a hobby, and a lifestyle. The term was coined to differentiate breeders who consider knowing everything about their breed and striving to improve it/maintain it as a hobby, from those who are "professional" breeders, who do it for money, or back yard breeders, who just throw any two dogs of the same breed together in the yard and hope things turn out. So "hobby breeder" is not a bad thing at all, if the person is truly devoted to the hobby and has an impressive knowledge of the breed and its health issues.

I would absolutely take dietary advice from a respected breeder who has been producing happy, healthy, long-lived dogs for decades over most veterinarians who have had a few hours' training in nutrition in vet school, paid for by Hill's or Purina. It's not their fault -- unless they have taken additional subspecialty training, it simply is not a subject they are taught in school. Yes, the majority of pet foods are satisfactory for the majority of dogs. The same way you can feed your human children Kraft Macaroni and cheese and Pop Tarts 7 days a week and they'll still live to adulthood.

Different breeds of dogs have different nutritional needs. Different LINES of dogs within the breed have different nutritional needs. Some need high protein levels, some very low protein levels. Some puppies need to grow extremely slowly, others are closer to fully physically mature at 6-8 mos.

None of that is to say that dogs don't need veterinary care. You should have a vet appt made for your new puppy before you put him/her in your car. A good relationship with your vet is key to a happy dog owning relationship.

My husband and I have worked in rescue for years...if you feel you must buy from a breeder this is my advice:

A reputable breeder will not advertise in craigslist, the newspaper or anywhere else. True reputable breeders are known within their circle (and known within rescue circles).

They have waiting lists for months for their puppies.

If you want a reputable breeder, contact the boston terrier rescue group closest to you and ask for their advice.

As I said, we have worked rescue. I have seen the product of backyard breeders. I have seen dogs with horrible abuse. We fostered a little dog that was dumped by a breeder (she was 10 years old and no longer useful to them since she couldn't produce the puppies to sell). She was food/water aggressive (at first, she would try to take off your hand if you touched her food/water bowls) she had heartworms and skin issues that had never been taken care of.

Once you see this abuse first hand, you know why people are so adamant about not adopting dogs from a backyard breeders. I am not against adopting from breeders, but I despise backyard breeders because I have seen the product of their abuse and neglect.

Good luck in your search for a doggie.

I am a former shelter worker/volunteer and I 100% agree with all of this. I do not advocate breeders at all but I recognize there are select breeders out there that breed responsibly and have well cared for/socialized pets and agree that you will not find them on Craigslist or the newspaper..it's mostly going to be word of mouth with a wait list.

I would suggest a rescue for that breed or cruising the Humane Society/pound regularly. My current dog is an English Pointer..the absolutely sweetest, most loving and low key dog I have ever had the pleasure to be around and he was a Humane Society dog.

I am a former shelter worker/volunteer and I 100% agree with all of this. I do not advocate breeders at all but I recognize there are select breeders out there that breed responsibly and have well cared for/socialized pets and agree that you will not find them on Craigslist or the newspaper..it's mostly going to be word of mouth with a wait list.

I would suggest a rescue for that breed or cruising the Humane Society/pound regularly. My current dog is an English Pointer..the absolutely sweetest, most loving and low key dog I have ever had the pleasure to be around and he was a Humane Society dog.

I would have loved to have taken a dog from one of the local breed rescue organizations. But, I didn't meet their parameters. I have always had a dog. My dogs have never been left outside for long periods of time. I have always been at home with them. At this moment, my 11 y/o golden retriever has a nice chainlinked in area, concrete base for easy cleaning, that is about 10'x10'. It is located right outside our walk out basement, underneath our deck..nice and sheltered. He uses it soley for his bathroom breaks. He romps in the backyard, sniffs around the beds. He used to go for walks before his hips got sore..he is 11 after all. We had that exact same setup for our former golden...he died at 13!!!
But, would the golder retriever rescue organization let us adopt a dog through them? Nope. Our yard wasn't fenced in!!!
So yes, in theory I completely agree with you. But, in reality?? It's sometimes very hard to adopt from some of these groups.

And as to the use of 'hobby' breeder...I do apologize. I can see where it could apply to other, reputable breeders.

I'm another proponent of getting a referral from your breed's Kennel Club of America. When DH & I were engaged we did our research and decided on a golden retriever. I contacted the Kennel Club and got referrals. I chose one because I liked her personally the best. We were on her waiting list for a puppy when she contacted me and recommended a hobby breeder. The hobby breeder had a ***** that had her second litter- the first being more than 12 months prior. The formal breeder put her stud dog to this female. She said that there were three females left in the litter after she took her pick(part of the stud contract) who she felt comfortable matching us with. We agreed, scheduled the appt and met the pups. This hobby breeder was a golden lover whose parents had bred Labs throughout her life. She chose to continue with goldens and since she was a SAHM it was hobby of love- she was looking to enhance the breed and place companion dogs. The mother dog met us at the door when we got to the home. The pups were socialized - the lady had three kids who were handling them after 4wks. Alll the tests were complete for both sides of the lineage and the sire was BEst of Breed two years at Westminster and while the ***** was a pet, she had champion lines on both sides as well. She was an amazingly beautiful dog and we could easily have showed her, but that wasn't our lifestyle. She was the best dog ever. That was our first golden and the love of my life. We lost her at 12.5 in 2008 and that winter when my kids and I were watching videos of xmas past, we knew we couldn't spend a xmas without a dog.

I did my research, this time on labs, and on my way back from a breeder(who wasn't a good match) I stopped at a local rescue group because I had seen on petfinders that they had golden puppies saved from the floods from that year's hurricane. The pups had no papers, and were probably from a backyard breeder whose yard was flooded and had to give up the dogs.The rescue was such a horror that I couldn't leave this last pup there, I just couldn't. So I brought home Riley. The first 6 months were a nightmare of behavior issues and you could just see the difference in quality of the breeding. Luckily, she hasn't had any major medical issues. She is now a loving, nutty member of our family but our next dog will either be from a breeder or more likely from a breed rescue who temperment tests and trains their rescues and matches the personality to the family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter