still sick at Disney?

jack hannah bananah

DIS Veteran
Are people still getting sick like they were a couple monthes ago.

For a while there, it seemed like everyone was getting sick with a stomach bug.

Some friends of mine, through another site I am part of, went at the end of Feb. Don't know if it was food poisoning or the stomach bug, but they had to end their trip early due to illness. Three days in FL were spent in the hospital, as the husband got so sick that by the time tests were run, he was almost near kidney failure.

She advised me to bring bleach wipes and watch my DD -- 20 months old -- closely. I packed the wipes to wipe down stuff in our room, and hand sani to pack in the diaper bag at the parks to use after rides. I will admit that I forgot about it, and we are fine.

Unrelated to stomach bugs, another friend I knowrecently got back froma two week trip. She also got to make a visit to "Disney's Hidden Attraction" (aka Celebration Hospital). She was on "It's a Samll World" and they had to stop the ride and take her off by stretcher. Scared her kids to death (6 years and 20 months). She began having chest pain and couldn't breathe. She lives in New Yrk State and when they arrived home atthe NJ airport it happened again, only this time she completely passed out and was hospitialized for two days in NJ. At Disney, she promised the doctor's that she'd spend two days of her trip in her hotel room (DWL) and "take it easy" so their trip didn't have to end.

My trip was two weeks ago (March 5-8) and I was worried what would happen to me.

We just got home Monday from 10 days. My DD 10 got the stomach flu on our Anniversary last Thursday. It was only one day and no one else in our party of 9 got sick. She was really really sick for that one day though. She woke up Friday am ready to hit Blizzard Beach and played hard all day without any issues.

Other than our issue I didnt see any other signs of sickness. We had a great trip!

I was there 2 weeks ago and didn't get sick or hear about anyone else getting sick.

We(3 of us) were there the end of January. None of us had a single sniffle, cough, weez, stomach ache, fever, chills, rash, fungus, bacterial infection, allergy, dizzy spells, cold sweats, spider or bug bite, no bed bug infestations, no sighting of any rodents(other than Mickey & Minney), or any other varment of any other kind. ;)

We just got home Monday and nobody with us got sick. But I did hear a lady in line at Dumbo saying how 3 days of their trip the youngest maybe 7 was in the hospital from the stomach bug

We were the last week of February and DH was really very ill with a stomach virus type thing. He was convinced it was food poisoning since he never gets ill and none of the rest of us were sick at all.

Are people still getting sick like they were a couple monthes ago.

For a while there, it seemed like everyone was getting sick with a stomach bug.

No disrespect to you personally, Jack, but I wish this weird rumor would just die already.

Yes, people were getting sick in Disney a few months ago. But guess what? People were getting sick at home, too! Contagious illnesses such as stomach bugs and respiratory bugs are MUCH more prevalent in the late-fall and early/mid-winter than they are at other times of the year.

So yes, there were increased reports of people getting sick ... but this was true EVERYWHERE, not just at Disney World.

I'm 100% certain that if this board was focused on tourism in Las Vegas, we'd have read about all the people getting sick in Vegas and then assume it was the fault of Vegas, rather than just a seasonal thing.

Mark my words ... next winter, there will be threads-a-plenty with a lot of hullabaloo over illness in Disney and Oh My God Should I Cancel My Trip I Don't Want To Get Sick. They won't notice that, on average, 10% of the school students were missing school each day for a month in their hometowns.

Rant over. Sorry.

I got back on Sunday from 7 days there and not a single problem. I always wipe down the hotel room when I arrive and use antiseptic wipes often thoroughout the day.

No disrespect to you personally, Jack, but I wish this weird rumor would just die already.

Yes, people were getting sick in Disney a few months ago. But guess what? People were getting sick at home, too! Contagious illnesses such as stomach bugs and respiratory bugs are MUCH more prevalent in the late-fall and early/mid-winter than they are at other times of the year.

So yes, there were increased reports of people getting sick ... but this was true EVERYWHERE, not just at Disney World.

I'm 100% certain that if this board was focused on tourism in Las Vegas, we'd have read about all the people getting sick in Vegas and then assume it was the fault of Vegas, rather than just a seasonal thing.

Mark my words ... next winter, there will be threads-a-plenty with a lot of hullabaloo over illness in Disney and Oh My God Should I Cancel My Trip I Don't Want To Get Sick. They won't notice that, on average, 10% of the school students were missing school each day for a month in their hometowns.

Rant over. Sorry.

This is very true, although it never seems like as big a deal when your sick at home. I think it's the fear of spending a year planning a trip, and think that you could spend a big part of it sick in bed! :sick:
We just had that stomach virus run through our house- not the way I would want to spend vacation, but I used that opportunity to drive home the point to my DGS, that hand washing is extremely important, and how he needs to remember that when we go to WDW this year.

I was there from 3/1-3/6 and didn't see any illness. I was very careful about using hand gel after most rides where I had to hold on a bar, and because of the very cool weather, actually wore my little knit gloves - partly for "germ" issues. I did talk to one lady in the laundry room at the BWV who said her kids had been sick throughout the week so she was spending lots of time doing laundry. Other than our washing hands frequently and hand gel when couldn't wash - I feel we stayed pretty darn heathy.

I did bring my Lysol spray and sprayed the TV remote, sinks and toilet seat when we got to our room at BWV - but never did that before.

I hate to report this, but my family just had the worst case scenario happen to us on our recent WDW vacation.

Sunday March 8 - Checked into BWV, all of us were well. We are SOOO germ-phobic b/c DH and I are both dentists and understand all too well the importance of cleaning everything. We CLEANED our room -- bleach in the tub/shower, lysol sprayed on all surfaces, clorox wipes on all surfaces for good measure. We also brought purell into the parks to use after every ride.

Monday March 9 - great day

Tuesday March 10 - great day up until 5pm when DS proceeded to throw up all over himself as we were getting ready to go to dinner at 1900PF. We figured it might just be that he drank a little pool water or got too hot/excited because he insisted he was fine right afterwards. 5 hours later, his symptoms proceeded into explosive diarrhea and we realized he had caught a bug.

Wed March 11 - we had to cancel all our plans (dinner at Jiko, Sandcastle Club, etc) - DS still sick.

Thursday March 12 - DH now comes down with chills, aches, vomiting, diarrhea as well -- all plans cancelled

Friday March 13th - all plans cancelled (Dinner at GG, Family Magic tour, etc) as both DH and DS spend the ENTIRE day in bed with the curtains drawn, sleeping all day.

Saturday March 14th - they both feel better. Great day at AK am and MK pm. I start to feel a little achey after returning to our room at midnight, but try to ignore it and go to bed. Our plans are to get up early the next morning to check out and drive 12 hrs home.

Saturday night/Sunday Morning -- I've now got it. I'm stuck in the bathroom from 5am until noon. Couldn't even leave the room to drive home!!! Finally feel well enough to get in the car at noon Sunday.

Sunday March 15th - drive home from noon - midnight with me feeling awful - chills, aches, fever.

And the worst of it all ... for the first time ever, we had purchased the DINING PLAN!!!!

It was nearly a total bust. After MONTHS and MONTHS of planning, typing lists of snack credit items, making ADRS, and cleaning like crazy to try to prevent exactly this type of thing from happening. I actually did cry Friday night.

All I can think of is that we did let our guard down a little on our first night at Chef Mickey's buffet -- didn't insist DS use purell after high-fiving each character. Maybe that was it? I guess we will never know.

Sorry for the news, but it did happen to us. :(

-April

We were there 2-20 through 2-27 (recently). My 3 kids all got the stomach flu. The mousekeepers did a great job both nights there was excess clean-up, but those were the only 2 times we didn't get towel animals! (LOL)

My son threw up on the bridge on the way to the food court, but my DH was responsible and washed it away with as much water as we had. On our last day, my youngest rolled our luggage threw a spot where someone else obviously did NOT show the same consideration! It was very unpleasant, but then I realized at least one other guest was sick too!

My theory? Everyone back home had the stomach flu too... it's probably equally proportionate at Disney as it is anywhere else. So I wouldn't stay away, but they are not just "scary" stories, it was our experience. We left with about 10 extra CS credits b/c my kids just couldn't eat!

I am happy to say that we still had a good time, and we took a much slower pace than we might have other wise...
but better to wash your hands often!

My son has never been to WDW...he had a stomach bug last month...my DH caught it too...several of DS friends/teachers also had it and NONE of them went to WDW ;)

Everybody is so quick to blame Disney. Maybe they are catching something before they even get to Orlando.
I do not think anyone has taken into consideration that these things are possibly being spread through commercial airlines. It probably takes 1-3 days to come down with whatever you catch. And I would hazard a guess to say that they are germ breeding grounds since so many families with small children are packed on flights to orlando.
Everyone spends tons of time sterilizing their room, I would worry about the planes that who knows how many people from all over the country use.

I know that many people have stories about being sick that have driven to wdw. But, how many drive straight through without stopping at a rest stop or restaurant. Point is that the world today is full of these bugs/flu/virus and so on.

I agree with someone else's post. let it go. There is no confirmation that it was in fact wdw making these people sick.

I agree. Stomach/INtestinal virus and respirator flu, the true flu, are at near epidemic proportions for the entire state of Florida, and has been since January. Sorry, folks, it's cooties season.:scared:

We just returned (3/13) and I was quick to pull out my Lysol wipes and wipe down all surfaces in our hotel room upon arrival...:upsidedow

We all made it through the week without illness, but our friends were down there at the same time and my friend (mom of three little ones!) got a 24 hour bug. No one else got sick, so she's not sure if it was the stomach bug that was going around or something she ate. She was able to get out to the parks the second day, but wasn't back to herself until the third day. I felt terrible for her!

I am so sorry that some of you got sick while on your trip. That is awful! All that planning and saving money, just awful. DD also got sick last year in May when we went, but she had a bad cold that left her miserable. We didn't cancel anything but we did take it easy and take breaks. I honestly think the reason my DD got sick is because she is NEVER exposed to anything. She stays home with me or my mom or my fiance. The only children she comes in contact with are her 3 cousins and on occasion kids she plays with at the park. But my DD really doesn't like to leave her house!! HaHa!

I think it's just that time of the year, everyone's getting sick, the seasons are changing, people are stressed out. I am currently doing student teaching and kids are out everyday and kids are coming in sick everyday as well when they should be staying home and getting much needed rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter