Still No Proxys!!!

WDSearcher, the problem is not isolated. This is not to say anything has been done illegally... that would be disasterous for Disney's management if proven. But lenshanem is not alone in his concerns.

If nothing else, its bad timing for Disney.

Disney cutting it close with proxies
Ballots to shareholders arrive late -- or not at all
By Russ Britt, CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 6:31 PM ET Feb. 19, 2004

LOS ANGELES (CBS.MW) -- Walt Disney Co. is cutting it close for its shareholders as proxy ballots for the company's March 3 annual meeting arrived much later than usual for many investors -- or not at all.

Shareholders say their Disney (DIS: news, chart, profile) annual reports and proxy ballots arrive like clockwork at least a month before the company's gathering. This year, though, they say the company dragged its heels in getting the ballots to them -- leaving little time for them to respond.

That comes at an awkward time for Disney, as Chairman Michael Eisner and three other board members are fighting to retain their seats as well as fend off a hostile takeover from Comcast Corp. (CMCSA: news, chart, profile) (CMCSK: news, chart, profile) If a significant number of shareholders vote not to retain Eisner, he could wind up losing control of the company at a later date.

"It seems to me there's something fishy going on and it's not 'Finding Nemo,'" said Stephen Fitch, a Disney shareholder and San Diego resident. As of Thursday morning, Fitch had yet to receive his ballot.

Disney officials say ballots should be arriving shortly. The reason ballots are arriving closer to the meeting date is because the gathering is being held earlier than in 2003.

Last year, the annual meeting was held on March 19. But this year, the board approved the proxy statement on Jan. 27, one day earlier than last year.

"These packages were mailed at roughly the same time period as they were last year," Disney spokesman John Spelich said. "From what we see, shareholders are receiving the packages in plenty of time to return the ballots."

Spelich said the company is obligated to have proxy statements in the mail 15 days prior to the company's annual meeting. Shareholders can vote by mail as long as their ballots arrive before the meeting starts at 10 a.m. in Philadelphia. Shareholders also can vote by phone or via the Internet.

Shareholders say, however, that this is a departure from the company's past practices. And that could spell trouble down the road for Disney, said Jim Devereaux, a corporate law attorney.

"That could be the basis for challenging the results of (the proxy vote)," Devereaux said. "It would have to be resolved by a judge or in arbitration."

Chuck Oberleitner, a writer for Jim Hill Media.com, a Disney watchdog site, said Disney investor relations officials are telling shareholders that the last of the ballots went out Feb. 13.

"I received dozens and dozens of these responses. It's unprecedented (for shareholders) in their experience in receiving materials from the Walt Disney Co.," Oberleitner said.

Even the smallest stockholders are puzzled. David Renteria of Hays, Kan., said he's held one share of Disney stock four years for sentimental reasons. His proxy ballot had yet to arrive Thursday.

"Every year, I've gotten my stuff a month in advance," he said. "Even with one share."

The ballots' tardy arrival didn't sit well with Cristi Klingman of Plano, Texas, who has held Disney stock since 1987.

"There's a part of me that finds this just a little too coincidental," she said.

Roy Disney, nephew of the company's founder, and his business partner Stanley Gold seek to oust Eisner and three other board members -- Former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell, John Bryson and Judith Estrin.

Roy Disney left the board last year as the company said it would invoke a mandatory retirement rule, and Gold left shortly after in support. Since then the two have strongly criticized Eisner's management of the company over the last decade.

Eisner and his supporters have countered that Roy Disney and Gold took part in several strategic decisions made by the company. The two men say that on the specific areas where they allege mismanagement, they did not vote along with Eisner and the rest of the board.

The company also faces a hostile takeover bid from Comcast, but it's unclear whether that will play a role in the annual gathering. Comcast has said it will not exercise the option to run a consent solicitation for an alternative set of directors. But news reports say the company has explored the idea.

Russ Britt is the Los Angeles Bureau Chief for CBS.MarketWatch.com

The challenge would be proving that Disney was up to no good here... and I don't really know how you could do that.

Originally posted by raidermatt
WDSearcher, the problem is not isolated. This is not to say anything has been done illegally... that would be disasterous for Disney's management if proven. But lenshanem is not alone in his concerns.
Hey matt,

I wasn't saying he was unique among stockholders as a whole, because I have no way of knowing that. My comment about him being "the exception not the rule" related to posters here. More people seemed to have gotten the proxies and already voted than not. I was using a much smaller sample!

:earsboy:

Got mine yesterday ( not 15 days out), voted online today. This is the first time in years I have felt like voting on something.

FINALLY! Today, Saturday, 2/21 I got all my proxys in the mail. I was unable to vote online during the day, kept coming up a message that online voting was unavailable, but tonight I just got through. Finally, I can quit running out to the mailbox. Still no email proxys like I was told I'd receive after calling all last week asking where my proxys were... Guess it doesn't matter now!

I beleive you can vote by phone as well. Whatever you do, please vote!!

Glad you got yoru proxies, lenshanem!

No proxy yet for me either, and I own a couple of hundred shares, not much, but I should get a vote...........

If I were not a CM, I would love to see a suit filed over this. There must be a legal requirement to mail these in a timely fashion.

Mail proxy card showed up today. That's cutting it a little short, don't you think Mr. Eisner?

Lenshanem, I am glad to read your FINALLY received your proxy info. I find this poor business practice on the part of Disney. I received an annual report with voting info last Tuesday. On Saturday I received another TWO proxies for the same shares of stock - one had the same control number as the original & the second had a different control number. I only voted once! Definitely strange this year ...

Ya, and to top if off one of my account had a wrong SSN so I asked them to send paperwork to correct it. Came in 3 days?!? Course, it took FOREVER to get the proxys. I'm sorry, too much coincidence for me with what all is going on...

No proxy yet for me either, and I'm very upset about it! I tried getting it emailed, and it keeps saying it was emailed to me, but I've never received anything. Got my annual report in mail, but no proxy.

I have a minor amount of shares, but still feel I should have the right to voice my opinion! This really frosts my rice crispies!!!:mad:

None for me yet either, and I am begining to think we have been forgoten or missed.

I have called twice, they say they will email it to me, but they don't. It is maddening to say the least.

I am getting more and more upset everyday. Here it is less than a week before the Shareholders meeting and still three of the four shareholders in my household have not yet received their proxys. I have contacted shareholders services twice and will try again today and have contacted "savedisney.com. It doesn't seem like anyone is really "willing" to help solve this problem. Will the SEC have any say in this? How many others have not received their proxys and just haven't "bothered" to investigate?

Just a final followup. Yesterday they gave me my control number OVER THE PHONE. The promised emails never arrived....... I went to vote at Proxyvote.com, and it finally worked. The only other confusion was to use my SS # last 4 digits as the PIN. I set up another PIN where I view my account, but for the voting only the SS# thing worked.

I just got mine 2 days ago and have tried voting on line at least 12 times.
It doesn't complete the vote.
I guess I should try calling it in.

:sunny: :sunny:

I sold a lot of my DIS stock but I still have a single framed certificate from One Share that I bought years ago just to frame up on my wall with several others, I used to get a check every year for roughly $.21 for its dividend, but not in the last year or so.

Also I havn't seen any proxy paperwork in the mail either, even though its just a single solitary share it DOES give me a voting right, if I don't vote with Roy it converts to in Eisner favor.

I tried to navigate the Disney investor relations but it appears to a simpleton like me that its just a maze to get people lost or redirected, if you even know how to find it.

I almost believe it was set up deliberately to keep the public from exercising their rights as investors.

I'm hoping that enough people like myself with even a single share of stock can get their votes listed in time...we need to show Eisner the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter